Author Topic: 2Stone pizza pics  (Read 35581 times)

Offline ringkingpin

2Stone pizza pics
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
 I've been on here for a while and have gleamed a lot of great information but I'm pretty sure that I've never posted any pics.  Here are some of the pizzas that I've made over the past 8 months since I've had my 2Stone.
All of these were made using either a Ischia or Cameldoli sour dough starter (thanks Pizza Polizzi!).  Lucky for me, I'm a creative Amourican so I'm not bound to the constraints of true VPN :p as you can see from the pics.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:41:43 AM by ringkingpin »
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

Re: 2Stone pizza pics
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 11:42:34 AM »
and a couple more
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:09:35 PM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

parallei

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Nice work ;D

I'm still waiting for the weather to improve a bit before getting into with my 2Stone again.  Though I did get in a few pies a a couple of weeks ago.

What unit do you have and what temp are you liking?  I've got the 2Stone pro and I think I'm settling in on about 2 min pies at 725ish, but mine still need work.

Best

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
Thanks Par!

I have the inferno which is run off propane.  To give you an idea of how many pizzas I've made, I'm getting ready to finish my 3rd 50lb bag of 00 flour so while I'm not a pizza factory, I have persevered through the winter and cranked a bunch out.
When I first got the 2stone, I was so excited to be able to get to high temps and went way overboard, trying to cook near the 1000 degree (bottom stone) mark.  I soon found out this was TOO hot.  I also found out that I was heating up the oven too quickly, basically running it wide open until I got it to temp and then turn it way down.  Now I simply start it up slowly and allow it heat up over 30-45 minute period.  My gut tells me I consume less gas this way too.  Heating it up slowly, allows the stone to heat up evenly, not just on the surface.
So I heat it up slowly and like to cook around the 750 degree mark.  I usually have the burner pushed around 3/4 of the way to the back.  

How are you making your pizzas?  What kind of leavining are you using?  I played with different doughs and leavening and made a lot of experiments using the dough calculator found on this site.  In the end, I've come up with my own recipe that works for me and it's done by volume and feel.  This is the gist of it

I use a Bosch universal plus mixer

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:38:40 PM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:30:06 PM »
I had to continue this on a second post because when I fill up the dialogue box, it bounces up and down and gets shakey, it doesn't simply cascade down, does anyone esle get this?

Anyhew, by volume, I get my starter which is kept at a slightly thicker than pancake consistency and pour two cups in my mixer.  Then I get two cups of water and two tablespoons of kosher salt, all in the mixer.  I then add 8 cups of 00 flour, mix for two minutes and then let it rest for 15-30 minutes, just depends what else I'm doing.  After the resting period, I mix it up for 15 minutes, pull out the dough, put it in a bowl with plastic on top and allow the dough to rise by about 50%.  I then punch it down and ball it up, 275-300 grams, in to individual rubbermaid containers.  If I'm going to use the dough that day, I just let it sit out at room temp for second proof.  Most of the time, I just put them in the fridge and then take them out six hours in advance to warm up to avoid gumline and to finish the second proof.  I've also found that it freezes very well like this. 
 Brillat-Savarin

Phar Lap

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:14 PM »
ringkingpin,

The pies look great! 

I have had the 2Stone Pizza Pro for 2 months now and had the exact same experience of initially trying to cook at way too hot of a temperature, before settling at 750 as the ideal "floor" cooking temp.  I also use the burner about a 3/4 of the way back, and I have found the trick is to measure the temp of the base stone at the point directly beneath the burner flame to determine the cooking temperature, because as the stone rotates, the temperature varies in relation to where the burner flame is hitting the stone.  When I started using the 2Stone, I measured the bottom stone temp at the oven opening--(the farthest point from the burner flame), and so I failed to calculate how hot the hottest part of the base cooking surface really was.  Now that I have that figured out, my results have improved dramatically...I will also be posting pictures soon.       

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
Thanks Phar, that's interesting about hitting the temp gun right above the burner, I don't think that I've seen big variances of the temp, I'll check it out next time (tomorrow?) I fire it up.

Here is an interesting pizza that I'm in the process of developing and I think it's a PizzaMaking.com first!  I posted it in the Dessert section but since I'm playing show and tell, I'll post it here too.  These pics are of the second one I've made, a Sabayon Pizza!
The Pizza is a great vehicle for this classic Italian / French dessert.  For this one, I had sauteed some mango and banana, added a touch of salt, and some saffron for complexity and it lends itself well to the Sauterne wine I was using.  This was left over from my first Sabayon Pizza so I got some fresh strawberries and tossed them in to be different.  
The sabayon had a little bit of saffron in it as well and we drank the remainder of the 1/2 bottle of the sauterne and it was perfect.  I added a little bit of 75 year old balsamic on top for acidity and flavor.
I can't emphasize enough how tasty this is as a dessert pizza!  It's also pretty easy to make, especially once you get the hang of it, you can make it in your sleep.  If you have made a bernaise type sauce this is similar but much more stable (due to the sugar).  
BTW, the sabayon gets put on top after the pizza is 98% done, then it's simply browned back in the 2stone.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 03:42:09 PM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 03:56:59 PM »
Thanks for posting. Your pizzas look great. Care to explain some of your topping combinations?

parallei

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »
ringkingpin,

I've been using the "Tartine Method" lately.  About 8% Ischia starter, 64 -  70% HR, 50/50 OO/KASL, 2% Salt.   See the "Pizza from the "Tartine Bread" book" thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12122.msg116393.html#msg116393  my 2Stone pies are at  Reply #81 and a few below.  The whole thread is worth a read.

Paul

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Those pies look great! I love the margherita - it is nothing short of stunning. What all is on the pie with the morrels? I want to try that one!

One nit, Brillat-Savarin's quote is "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are"

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 10:15:47 AM »
Thanks for posting. Your pizzas look great. Care to explain some of your topping combinations?
Thanks Jonesy!

1) Arugula with pesto and I can't tell what else was on that one, hidden by the greens! :)

2) Classic Marg

3) Pesto, Onion, Prosciutto, Garlic, Potatoe, Parm, Pine Nuts

4) Red Sauce, Artichoke Hearts, Shrooms, Homemade Lamb Sausage

5) Spuds, Artichoke "Pesto", Green Onion, White Onion, Walnut, Parm
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »
6) 30% Whole Wheat, Cepes, King Mushrooms, Crimini, Walnuts, Artichoke "Pesto", Parm, Truffle Oil

7) 30% Whole Wheat, Marg with Yellow Toms

8) Same as #5

9) Pesto, Tomatoe, Red Onion, Shrimp, Pine Nuts, Basil

10) Morels, Spuds, Onion

11) Same as #10
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »
Those pies look great! I love the margherita - it is nothing short of stunning. What all is on the pie with the morrels? I want to try that one!

One nit, Brillat-Savarin's quote is "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are"

CL

Thanks Craig!  The morels were served with spuds, garlic and onion.  I love the morels but didn't have a lot of time this year to find many, oh well, next year...

As far as the quote, je suis desole mais tu t'es trompe, le citation est: Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es.Physiologie du goût (1825), Aphorisme IV
Citations de Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Source : Dis-moi - citation

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:26:47 AM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:29 AM »
Somewhat trivial but the correct translation is: Tell me what you eat and I will (shall) tell you what you are.  If the que, was a qui, then it would be WHO. 
I have an old copy of the book in French that I bought from a bookinist years ago and have read a couple times.  If you get the gold standard translation of the book, done by MK Fisher, you'll find that she translates it the same way I do. 

http://www.amazon.com/M-F-K-Fishers-Translation-Brillat-Savarins-Physiology/dp/product-description/0156717700

Cheers!
 Brillat-Savarin

parallei

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Well guys, who, or whatever I is, is getting larger........

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 12:18:55 PM »
Well guys, who, or whatever I is, is getting larger........

LoL, I hear ya, trying to shed 10lbs right now.  More veggie pizzas!
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »
LoL, I hear ya, trying to shed 10lbs right now.  More veggie pizzas!

Too many pies like the ones you posted, and I end up looking like Bibendum there.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
Somewhat trivial but the correct translation is: Tell me what you eat and I will (shall) tell you what you are.  If the que, was a qui, then it would be WHO. 
I have an old copy of the book in French that I bought from a bookinist years ago and have read a couple times.  If you get the gold standard translation of the book, done by MK Fisher, you'll find that she translates it the same way I do. 

http://www.amazon.com/M-F-K-Fishers-Translation-Brillat-Savarins-Physiology/dp/product-description/0156717700

Cheers!

I think I got my translation from Chairman Kaga on the original Iron Chef show.  :-D

CL

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
ringkingpin,

Thank you for posting those. I'd forgotten I'd asked that, and coincidentally I came on here tonight to get some inspiration for toppings for 10 people coming to mine tomorrow night for the last ever pizza night at my house before I move out.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Dude.  You need to reopen Greco's Pizza.