Author Topic: 2Stone pizza pics  (Read 69587 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: 2Stone pizza pics
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
What was the dough weight?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
Sorry - PR = Peter Reinhart (in my mind, anyway)   I was just curious... 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 03:18:35 PM »
Paul,
Great looking pies! Keep posting!  we all have our threads to keep track of our goodies, builds and various adventures ...  so please keep it going! they look wonderful I am guessing 250-260 Grams. Any Plans to take her to 850 +?
Mike  - where is sourdough girl ? MIA
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

parallei

« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »
Craig - 265g.  I don't think they quite made the 12-inch dia. I was shooting for :o

John - Good guess on the weight!  Thanks for the Atta Boy. Concerning the 850 deg plus:  Right now a prefer a longer bake time with the 00/HG flour blends.  I like the pies a bit more done (less soupy in the center).  Plus, I'm pretty good at burning things at the higher temps!

Paul
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 04:36:44 PM by parallei »

parallei

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »

End of summer pie - it is raining and in the 50's..........

Dough:  Tartine method, 50/50 KASL/00, 62% HR, 24 hr in the fridge.
Bake time: About 4.5 min at 625 ish
Sauce: None
Toppings:  Fresh tomatoes from a friends garden, fresh mozz made in town this morning, a bit a sharp cheddar, bacon, a few grinds of pepper, olive oil.

Lesson learned:  Keep the hydration at 70% for the longer bake time dummy!

Tasted nice though...

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
Nice Paul.  Silly question, but are those green tomatoes ripe and green or just green?

parallei

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
Green Zebras.  Not an heirloom, though they have a more tart taste than many modern tomatoes. They are ripe.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:51:24 PM by parallei »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
Paul,

Very tasty looking pizza!  :) I like your choice of toppings.  Your Green Zebras, and the other tomatoes look so inviting.  What were the red tomatoes you used.  I guess the yellow tomatoes were yellow pear.  The other dressings also sound delicious.  Great job!

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 09:52:02 AM »
Paul, that one of the prettiest and most vibrant pies I've ever seen. I love the addition of cheddar. I bet with the bacon, it was just incredible tasting.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

parallei

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
Thanks All!

Norma - The other tomatoes are miniature yellow pear and, I'm afraid, some unknown variety of plum tomato.

Craig - Yeah, the sharp cheddar was good.  All it lacked was a bit of mayo ;D

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2011, 12:13:27 AM »
Paul,
Great looking pies! Keep posting!  we all have our threads to keep track of our goodies, builds and various adventures ...  so please keep it going! they look wonderful I am guessing 250-260 Grams. Any Plans to take her to 850 +?
Mike  - where is sourdough girl ? MIA
John

I'd be willing to bet that over the burner the stone is actually 850 for a short period.
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

parallei

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 01:10:23 AM »
Tonight was another attempt with 100% Capto 00 (62% HR) on the 2Stone.  Too low a temp (about 750) I guess as I cooked them too long!  However, the bottoms didn't burn.  Shrooms were roasted with garlic, olive oil and thyme.

parallei

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
50/50 KASL/Caputo 00, 70% HR, 20% leaven (made w/Ischia), 2.5% Salt.  The Tartine Method with the usual exploding crumb.  About 800 deg.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »
nice looking Par...

I made some dough tonight that I'm going to bake tomorrow.  I never use anything but 100% Caputo 00.  I like to bake around 775 up front which on my 2 stone translates to around 850 over the burner.  I think my hydration is a little more than yours.  I got away from measuring and the calculator and just make the dough by volume and then adjust according to feel.

I've posted it before i think but my starters are kept around pancake batter consistency...

I use two cups of starter, two cups of H2O, two heaping tablespoons of kosher salt
8 cups of flour

mix for a minute, let it sit for around 15 or 20 then mix for around 8-10 minutes...  then proof accordingly, depending on when I want to bake it. 
If I'm not having too much fun tomorrow night, I'll try to take some pics with a real camera for once. 

I did speak with WIllard not too long ago who told me he's developed some more "tweaks" for the oven that I'm interested in, namely a tighter back baffle and a gas control for the front.
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Some pics from last nights pies.  I made some dough Friday and I hadn't used my starters for a while, I knew that the dough was going to be rather sour.  Well, it was too sour for my liking.  So, I wound up "washing" my starters and made some dough yesterday morning that would be used 8 hours later.  That's not a lot of time for a naturally leavened dough, or at least not for the way I usually make it but with careful monitoring, the dough turned out excellent!  I used warm water with the starter, mixed the dough a little longer than I normally would to help warm it up and then kept it in my kitchen in bulk from 9am until noon.  After 12 noon, I balled the dough up and left four in a stainless tray which I wrapped in saran wrap and put in to an 80 degree oven.  The dough was very nice by 5:30.

Brillat-Savarin

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
Not really glamour shots, these were taken with my iPhone but man were they tasty.  The one is a simple Marg, what I consider the benchmark for a good pizza.  I always make one as my first pie so my 16 month old can get his fix.  The first pizza is always the worst it seems as the first one absorbs all of the surface energy from the stone.  After the first one, they always seem to come out better.
I was making different clam pizzas, I acually made two of them last night.  The first one was a very traditional white pizza with Clams, garlic and olive oil.  Man was that a good pizza!  I was using a product called Monty's clams, they're frozen in a pint and are really great for this application.  I tried to find a link to the product but to no avail.  I have been buying them from Bill at the Fishguy in Chicago, www.thefishguy.com
This last pizza is a picture of a raw pizza. This was just like the white pizza with clams and garlic but I added some sauteed shitake shrooms. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:08:46 AM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline a pizza cu a Pumarola

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »
Hello, thought I'd chime in since I've been using the 2Stone for a few years now and have gotten to the point where I can get some consistant pies.............100% Caputo Pizzeria - stone temp in the 900 range with a dome temp of 1000+.
Bake time roughly 90 sec.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2011, 09:03:53 AM »
nice work A pizza!  Wow, I'm impressed that you're cooking at those heats.  Can you tell me more about your dough?  I keep the front of my stone around 750ish and over the flame I get readings that are 100 degrees higher.  The upper stone is usually 50 degrees hotter than that.  I use a starter, around 68-70% hydration.  When I use temps that you're dealing with, I invariably burn the bottom of the pie.  Thanks for sharing the pics. 
 Brillat-Savarin

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:51 AM »
Thanks - my hydration is 60% using 100% Caputo Pizzeria and Ichia starter. I try to take 4 temp readings (front/back/side/side) and average them out. Once I get around the 900 mark I start to bake. I keep my flame all the way to the back for the most part during the baking (once the stone has reached full temp) and I noticed that if I use too much flour when opening up the dough ball I end up getting the bottom slightly burnt. The less flour on the bottom of the pizza or your peel the less chance of buring the bottom.
Hope this helps

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
a pizza...for your picture files. those snaps look a little better with some more light to see those pies in their true glory!  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2011, 02:03:09 PM »
Robert,

You have come a long way. Congratulations.

Peter

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »
Pizzablogger: adding some light really does do them justice, they now look much closer to the way they did when they came out of the oven………thanks for your help.

Pete-zza: thanks for the vote of confidence. I have plowed through many pizzas since we last spoke but in all honesty I owe a lot of my progress to Matthew. He really helped guide me along and I’ve bombarded him with a ton of questions, if it weren’t for him I would not be at this point.

parallei

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2011, 04:13:42 PM »
Nice pies folks!  900 deg still freaks me out on my 2Stone.....

Offline toddster63

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:44 PM »
Gorgeous pies, but what a frustrating thread... 2stone makes a few models—ranging from $300 griil to the $5K Commercial unit...

You really have to go back and make a point to remember which model each member is using; it would be a delight if the various 2stone users could make a note on their posts stating which model they are using, particularly on the posts with pics...!

parallei

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:15 PM »
toddster63,

Mine (look for the Airedale avatar) is a 2Stone Pizza Pro.  I'm at this thread thinking about firing it this weekend up for the first time this spring.....

pizzapan