Author Topic: 2Stone pizza pics  (Read 49660 times)

Offline Everlast

Re: 2Stone pizza pics
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
Hey Ringkingpin,

Great looking pizzas! I currently own a wood fired pizza oven. However, I'm moving into a new place and won't be able to take it with me. I've been looking into the 2stone Inferno and from the pics, it would seem the Inferno can easily make a Napolitana style pizza. How do you like the propane model versus your friend's natural gas model? I believe I will have a natural gas hook up on my back patio so I'm weighing the pros and cons of going with NG with LP.

Damian

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2012, 05:43:26 PM »
Hey Damian, thanks for the compliments.  I can't tell you much on how the NG version of the inferno works.  I have baked pizzas on the "commercial" version which is NG and it works well.  I just bought a NG Inferno for a friend as a gift because he mentioned that he had a NG hookup.  I'm sure it works very well.  I did notice that you can't adjust the burner "on the fly" but it is adjustable.  Basically you move it when it's cool and then tighten it down.  I was told by Willard, the guy who makes them that they have a sweet spot usually within an inch of where he sets it.  I have no doubt that my friend, with my help and the 2Stone is going to be making some killer pies really soon, until then I can't tell you a whole bunch more about the NG Inferno.  I will say that somewhere down the road, I'm going to plumb a line and move towards an NG setup because refilling propane bottles becomes tiresome.  So for you, I would recommend the NG version even though I haven't used one.

FYI, I did a rush bake last friday and started my oven and tried to heat it as quickly as possible.  I probably wasted a ton of gas and didn't have the stone evenly heated but I was baking pizzas 20 minutes after I lit the oven.  Usually I take at least 30 or 45 minutes and warm her up slowly.  
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Everlast

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
Ringkingpin,

Though I will be really sad to give up my WFO, I think I will appreciate some of the convenience inherent in the 2stone if I choose that as my solution to making Napolitana style pizza, such as the quicker firing times, lack of variables, etc. I spoke with Willard today at 2stone and we discussed how the burner can be moved on the fly with the propane but not with the natural gas model. He said it had to do with the copper piping versus stainless steel piping. I'm kind of a tinkerer, so I'm wondering how much I'll want to move the burner on the fly. Do you consistently move your burner while cooking pizzas to adjust the top heat? Or, have you found the sweet spot and then just left it there? This would be really helpful to know.

Lastly, since I won't be moving until August, I've just started researching gas pizza ovens that can reach Napolitana cooking temps. If you receive any feedback from your friend in the next two months on the performance of his natural gas 2stone pizza oven, I'd really appreciate it if you could post it.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
Damian, I honestly don't find myself moving the burner that much.  It more or less stays in the 3/4 back position.  My friend will likely join this forum and hopefully he'll share his adventures in pizza making / 2stoning with us.  If he doesn't show up, I'll surely keep you posted.  
I am interested in hearing what you think of the 2stone vs a WFO.  I'm sure they both have their pros and cons but I've never personally cooked on one and I think most people here who have twostones are 2stoners from the get go and don't have much WFO under their belts.
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if you could get rid of the copper line and use a flexible SS gas line.  Hmmmm...  ???

BTW, what part of the states are you in?  If you're anywhere near NW Indiana / Chicago, you're more than welcome to come try my inferno on for size. 
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Everlast

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »
Ringkingpin, I wondered that same thing regarding the hose. I know that natural gas and propane have different burner requirements and thus, I would suspect, can't use the same metal lines to the burner. Once I've migrated from the WFO to a 2stone (if that's what I end up choosing), I'll post some side-by-side pics of pizzas and my impressions from both. Whenever we have guests over for wood fired pizza, I always get the "this is the best pizza I've ever had in my life" comments (funny thing, I always notice what I can improve) and I hope to continue getting that kind of reception once I've moved on from my WFO.

I'm in CA, and I do get out to Indianapolis once in a while to visit my wife's side of the family. I'm not sure I'll be out there before I make my next pizza oven purchase, but if I am, I appreciate the offer and I'll definitely take you up on it.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2012, 11:30:45 AM »
I had a really nice bake last night.  I found out a friend of mine was coming to town so I mixed my dough Monday night and let it do a bulk ferment in my cool garage, balled it tuesday morning and left it in my cool garage and then pulled it out midday to proof.  It proofed really nicely.  I brought my hydration down to mid to high 60% and it was just perfect.  The dough was so compliant, so soft, so perfect, just a real joy to work with.  It could have used a little more time building sugars but I had little time to work with it so I did what I had to and everyone was fed well and left very happy.  Fun times...

Brillat-Savarin

Offline toddster63

« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
I had a really nice bake last night.  I found out a friend of mine was coming to town so I mixed my dough Monday night and let it do a bulk ferment in my cool garage, balled it tuesday morning and left it in my cool garage and then pulled it out midday to proof.  It proofed really nicely.  I brought my hydration down to mid to high 60% and it was just perfect.  The dough was so compliant, so soft, so perfect, just a real joy to work with.  It could have used a little more time building sugars but I had little time to work with it so I did what I had to and everyone was fed well and left very happy.  Fun times...

Hey, 'pin—looks tasty, particularly the rosa, but where are the underskirt shots! I love seeing underskirt shots on 2stones. Does your unit have the Fibrament stones? What temps where these pies cooked at? Which 2Stone do you have?

AAHHHH—just saw your underskirt shot from 5/29—perfect! Very nice....! How hot is your stone getting and what temps are cooking at?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 06:52:46 PM by toddster63 »

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Hey, 'pin—looks tasty, particularly the rosa, but where are the underskirt shots! I love seeing underskirt shots on 2stones. Does your unit have the Fibrament stones? What temps where these pies cooked at? Which 2Stone do you have?

AAHHHH—just saw your underskirt shot from 5/29—perfect! Very nice....! How hot is your stone getting and what temps are cooking at?

I'll start taking more underside pics.  I should get a piece of glass just for that! :)
I have a propane powered inferno with the "new" front control bar and the latest version of the turbo top.  I like to cook around 750 on the lower stone (fibrament) in the front and I usually see about 100 degrees hotter directly over the flame in the back.  In the back up top, I'm usually right under 1k degrees.  I like to run mine on the slowest rotating speed. 
 Brillat-Savarin

parallei

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2012, 11:26:57 PM »
R2-Bayou's photo of a Broccoli Rabe and Sausage pizza from his Italy trip inspired me to give that combo a try.  Mine was a bit overload topping wise, and maybe cooked a bit too long. :o

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Paul,

Your Broccoli Rabe and Sausage pizza looks very tasty!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2012, 10:48:35 AM »
Paul that sounds and looks like a really nice combo!  I like the tannic earthy taste that rabe has and I bet the sausage complements it as well and we all know that a good pizza dough can be a great vehicle for darn near anything.  Strong work!  I might bite your style on that one!  ;D
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:35 AM »
R2-Bayou's photo of a Broccoli Rabe and Sausage pizza from his Italy trip inspired me to give that combo a try.  Mine was a bit overload topping wise, and maybe cooked a bit too long. :o

I think it looks great Paul. I had a similar pie at Dough in San Antonio last week. They also added Calabrian chilies. I thought it was a good combination. I'll post pics later.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2012, 03:31:08 PM »
Thanks folks.  Next time I'll cut back on the sausage and maybe add a few softened up golden raisins or currents.  It occurred to me, after the fact, that I make a pasta/sausage/swiss chard thing that golden raisins add a nice bit of sweet to.

Offline toddster63

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:12 PM »
Yum, yummier, Paul! I'm making that combo tomorrow night! I'll have the whole pie to myself, as everyone around here moans about how bitter American Broccoli rabe is, but I love it, and never thought of it on top of a pie—YUM! Golden raisins or chilis would make great additions too...

parallei

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Here is what happens when you run out of fuel before you even get started.:(   A bit of grated sharp cheddar, mozz, thinly sliced red onion, with mortadella and crushed, roasted (no salt) pistachios after the fact.  Sort of a tarted up bologna sandwich. ;D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:06:42 PM by parallei »

parallei

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2012, 09:52:19 PM »
Had to try Ringkingpin's "Bread-za" with a leftover ball from last night's fuel failure.  Just the ticket with some leftover grilled pork tenderloin.  Thanks RKP.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
That is beautiful! I'd love to try it.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2012, 12:41:01 AM »
That's cool you like the bread.  I'm in the habit of making at least one if not two or three "quad cut" pizza breads which I cut open with a serrated knife using the radius ("edge" of the pizza) of the bread as the hinge and allowing the steam to escape.  Once they're room temp, I toss them in a ziplock.  My 2 year old loves some cheese and prosciutto or ham on it, warmed up.  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:44:41 AM by ringkingpin »
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »
Had to try Ringkingpin's "Bread-za" with a leftover ball from last night's fuel failure.  Just the ticket with some leftover grilled pork tenderloin.  Thanks RKP.

Impressive . . . thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
That looks tasty!  Reminds me a bit of the pizzas from this thread:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6797.0.html

I do enjoy making a really high hydration pizza now and then. Tough to work with but such great flavor. 

Regards,

TinRoof