Author Topic: Warm rise with oil  (Read 900 times)

Offline tscaife

Warm rise with oil
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
My last 2 bakes I have gone for a room temperature rise with decent results but, I still need to tweak a few things. Copying TxCraig1's method (1% starter, 63%, 3% salt, KABF is the only difference).

I am baking pizzas tomorrow in my grill with a 650*ish temp and a stone temp at 600*ish. I am thinking that adding some oil may be worth doing. If I add 1.5% oil and drop the salt to 2% will these variables have a profound effect on rise time in anyone's experience? At these temps is it even worth adding the oil?

I am going for room temp (75*) 24 hours (20 bulk rise/4 balled). I am still trying to figure out water temp as well. First try was too warm and things went way too fast. Second try was too cold and went a bit too slow. I just used a bowl of ice in oven the first time and oven light on the second to try and compensate. The first two tries were also at 30 hours so I am going to try the following;

4 - 375g dough balls (13" .1 Thickness Factor)
75* - Room Temp
100% - KABF
63% - Water (70*)
2.5% Ischia culture (very active)
2% salt
1.5% EVOO

Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. I will post results tomorrow.

Thanks!
TS

Offline tscaife

Re: Warm rise with oil
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
The lower salt content and oil don't seem to have a major effect at this point. I ended up using 3% starter and it is rising well.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:36:59 PM »
I think it might rise a little faster than you want, but you can slow it down if necessary by putting everything in a cooler with a block of ice (ambient temp of 60-65F). Give it an hour or so at room temp before opening the balls. Yo ucan give yourself a little more flexibility here by doing less time in bulk and more in balls. 18 and 6 maybe. I'd watch the bulk and decide based on how it progresses. If it is going faster than you would like, ball it sooner and bring the temp down.

I would have suggested trying 2% before you went to 2.5%. Looking through my notes, I was using 1.7-1.9% when my room temp was 74F.

You might put a couple ice cubes in your measuring cup and then strain them out as you weigh the water to bring the water temp down a little. Don't over mix.

I'm excited to see how they come out.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline tscaife

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
I should add that I didn't get going last night until later than I hoped so I am looking at 20 - 21 hours. This morning it looked like it had increased by about 30 - 40%. Hopefully I will be OK. If not at least I have plenty of beer!

Thanks for the tips!

TS

EDIT: I called my wife to check and she said that the dough ball is huge as of NOON. I guess 3% was too much. She put it in the oven with a large bowl of ice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:02:09 PM by tscaife »

Offline tscaife

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Results were great and I would say that the oil didn't make a huge difference.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
TS,

Those pies look great.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage