Author Topic: San Diego/ Legoland area recommendations ?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
San Diego/ Legoland area recommendations ?
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »
Any good pizza that I shouldn't miss?  I will probably only be allowed one stop, so what should it be?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Guts

Re: San Diego/ Legoland area recommendations ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »
Jet_ deck there's lots of pizza places. [sorry I just saw the Legoland area but if you're flying in check out the links] If you're going to be in San Diego and only one place to visit for eats the heck with pizza try one of the jewels of San Diego point Loma seafoods. squid sandwich i got when i used to commercial fish. They'd make the sandwich and bring them down to us while we were unloading the boat (Squid Sandwich $8.32) absolutely one of the best sandwiches that I've ever had!  Here's a link;

http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/

http://www.pointlomaseafoods.com/menu.html

Here are a couple pizza places close to the airport, downtown San Diego in an area called Little Italy

http://www.landinispizzeria.com/

http://www.monalisalittleitaly.com/

http://www.realcheesepizza.com/web/locations/SD.html

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:54:49 AM by Guts »
Guts/AKA/Kim
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman"

Offline Matthew

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:06 PM »
Any good pizza that I shouldn't miss?  I will probably only be allowed one stop, so what should it be?

Without question it should be forum member Pete @ Pizzeria Bruno .http://pizzeriabrunosd.com/.  He's a great guy!

Matt

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
I sincerely appreciate both your post.  The plane leaves early in the am, and I am glad to know that we will be in good hands in SD with both fresh seafood and PIZZA.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
I am headed to SD for a week in the fall.  I def plan to hit this pizzeria Bruno place!!
Also going to seek out the DDD joints.
I've been to point loam once on a prior trip.  Great food.
TD

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
I am headed to SD for a week in the fall.  I def plan to hit this pizzeria Bruno place!!

Be sure to introduce yourself to Peter and Omid. I'm sure they would love to meet you.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
Be sure to introduce yourself to Peter and Omid. I'm sure they would love to meet you.

I definitely will do that.  I'm pretty excited to taste and see an example of what I am trying to shoot for!  Maybe I can get some lessons in dough handling and pizza shaping Hah!

I'm going to be on Coronado.  Any good places to eat there, let me know.  I'm working on an agenda of restaurants, pizzerias, and microbrew pubs to visit while I'm there.  I will be racking up a rather large taxi bill I'm sure!

TD

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:18:53 AM »
I just looked at a list of pizzerias in the area and there are none that ring a bell. I'd hit Bruno first and ask Peter and Omid on their thoughts of where else to try. I doubt that you will find anything else at their level though.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
Thanks! 

Not headed there until October, but I'm going to do my homework before I go. 
There is a pizza place called pizzeria Luigi I hear about, and it had been on the TV show diners, drive ins and dives. I am going to have to watch the show and see if its going to make my list. 

TD

Offline derricktung

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
Definitely interested in hearing more advice/responses as well.  I'll be in San Diego for work late Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon...  If I can sneak away, will try to sneak out for a pie somewhere.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:01:08 AM »
Definitely interested in hearing more advice/responses as well.  I'll be in San Diego for work late Sunday night to Tuesday afternoon...  If I can sneak away, will try to sneak out for a pie somewhere.

Sorry, don't get down there very often. If you want to drive up north a bit I could help you out.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »
Sorry, don't get down there very often. If you want to drive up north a bit I could help you out.

The unfortunate thing about when I'm sent out for work is that I'm pretty much stuck at work except for a few hours on the day I leave or arrive.  =(  Thanks for the offer though!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 04:01:42 PM »
There are a couple of NP-style pizzerias in SD aside from Bruno:

Buono Forchetta
Pizzeria Calabria
Pommarola (newly opened)

I haven't tried them since I only eat at Bruno when I'm there so let us know if you do get to try these places.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
There are a couple of NP-style pizzerias in SD aside from Bruno:

Buono Forchetta
Pizzeria Calabria
Pommarola (newly opened)

I haven't tried them since I only eat at Bruno when I'm there so let us know if you do get to try these places.

Thank for the post. I will have to check some of those out. The oven at Buono Forchetta looks beautiful, and $13 for a Marg with Buffalo Mozz seems pretty reasonable.

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
I'm headed to SD on Sunday for the week.
Wanted to give the forum member who runs Bruno's a shout out to let him know I was going to stop by ( and maybe get some behind the scenes tips on the process they use ). 
Anybody know his forum name?

thanks!

TD

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
Omid (Pizza Napolitana) works there. You could message him or post on his thread A Philosophy of Pizza Napolitanisimo!. There are also a bunch of other great pizzerias in San Diego now, so you will be spoiled for choice. And the craft breweries are pretty numerous great too.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 03:56:38 PM »
The owner's name is Peter. I'm sure he and Omid will take great care of you at Bruno.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bbqchuck

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:36:44 AM »
I discovered this list at VPN and have tried 3 of them.  No guarantee you'll like them just because they're on this list, but it's a place to start.  I see there's a place in Ranch Santa Marguerita which is maybe 45 mins north of SD.  There's a more places in the LA area. 

http://americas.pizzanapoletana.org/members.php

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
Thanks for suggestions!

Turns out Bruno was closed for renovations.

Tried caffe Calabria last night and was nice.  Their cornice was more flat than rounded.  I chatted up several of the folks working there who were fairly helpful.  He's using cake yeast which he called live yeast, and Caputo flour.  Oven floor was around 900°-850° when I saw them shooting the temp.  They used little manipulation during the bake.  A turn at about 25-35 seconds, and then dome (but no turning) for a few seconds before pulling the pies out.  Bake times though I saw no timers, were 55-65 second range I was told.  I don't think I saw any pies baking over 75 seconds. 
I had the classic margherita pizza with buffalo cheese.  It was very tasty.

I really don't think I'm very far off the target, but need to ensure I don't scorch the dough.  Maybe building a larger fire initially and then maintaining a smaller fire during baking so that I can keep the pies some distance from the except when doming.  Maybe also learning my own oven hot spots and monitoring temps during and after baking to see how they are affected will help.

With cooler weather on the way, I'm looking forward to some more experimentation soon. 

SD has a great beer scene as it turns out by the way. 

TD

Offline Trickydick

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »
FYI.

The hotel left a copy of the latest San Diego magazine in my room yesterday and the cover story is about pizza!

They list 20 "trendy" places in no particular order, plus some old classics and some in nearby Tijuana, and then talk about the Neapolitan style pizza and how its taking the city by storm.  Bruno's credited as being the first by the way.  A fun read.  So as it turns out, there are at least five Neapolitan style pizza places.

Pizzeria Bruno
caffe Calabria
Buona Forchetta
Isola Pizza bar
Pommarola

TD