Author Topic: San Diego/ Legoland area recommendations ?  (Read 2637 times)

Offline derricktung

Re: San Diego/ Legoland area recommendations ?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 09:22:38 AM »
I actually went to Isola since I needed a place open at 11 AM before my 2 PM flight.  Here was my Yelp review...

Dollops of cheese, slightly crisp exterior crust giving way to a soft chewy interior, and a very tight fisted touch of basil (seriously, about 3 small leaves in the center).  It wasn't the most generous, but the flavor was there.

The crust has the right amount of softness and chew to be a proper Neapolitan, just without the high temps yet, the lack of spring and char on the crust left a little something to be desired.

Verdict:  It's a beautiful, trendy spot, with a very reasonable $10 margherita, friendly owner and waitresses.  All in all, worth checking out if you're craving Neapolitan style pie and are in the area for lunch.

Not added to Yelp Addendum - they brush their crust with olive oil after it comes out... interesting technique to add.  I forgot why he said he did that (flavor?) but the main chef/owner was there and we were talking pizza.  Nice guy, and apologized that the ovens weren't up to temp yet so not as great of a crust as he would have liked to serve...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
Nice guy, and apologized that the ovens weren't up to temp yet so not as great of a crust as he would have liked to serve...

I don't understand why you would open if you can't put out your best product.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline derricktung

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
I don't understand why you would open if you can't put out your best product.

Yah... seemed odd to me as well.  If you're going to open up for lunch, shouldn't you have someone there at least two hours in advance bringing that oven back up to temp?  (I say two hours, assuming they had the oven running the night before). 

Again, nice guy, but a shame he recognized it wasn't his top quality stuff.