Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 26741 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Chimney is up, we're getting close now.
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
This weekend we got the chimney installed.  We will be gone for a family event this coming weekend, but our goal is to have the insulation done by Monday night of next week, and begin curing with the goal of cooking by the weekend.  We've been using a heat lamp to start the curing a bit, and will do more of that before the actual first fire.  I am so ready to try this oven out!!   

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
Wonderful job! Looks like Christmas came early this year!

Cant wait to see what you can make with this oven!
 :)
-Bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:52 AM »
Exciting stuff Robyn. If you have a chance, I'd love to see some close-ups of the chimney adapter you had fabricated.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
WOW how many feet of pipe is that total? what class?
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
We're burning!
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 10:49:19 PM »
We have flames!  Woohoo!  We had a small vacation preplanned which interrupted progress a bit, but we are officially burning now.  Dan's been working on the wall patch, drywall is up and taped, mudded, and ready for sanding.  Today I finished wrapping it in insulation blanket, and we started our first fire.  We've been "curing" it all week with a heat lamp, which got it between 250-300F so I figured we were in good shape for the first fire.  It's drawing beautifully, minimal smoke in the room (YaY!) and it seems to "work"  :D  The outside looks like a giant stovetop Jiffy-Pop popcorn or a baked potato  :-D  but it's staying cool so far - we've been burning over an hour, inside is 400-600F, and outside is still cool to touch, as is arch in wall.  That was my big worry, but so far so good.  As soon as we know it's staying relatively cool outside, Dan will put up the enclosure walls and we'll fill them with perlite for more insulation.  Hoping to be cooking our first pies this weekend!  Now if I can just decide on a recipe or 3...

John:  the chimney pipe is ICC insulated:  http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/insulated-stainless-steel-chimney  and there's 6 and a half feet above the roof, I think the total length is about 16'.  

Craig:  We ended up not needing an actual adapter because the bottom of the inner ss lining of the ICC elbow had a sealing bead rolled into it and Dan's fabricator friend was able to put it on an anvil, tap the bead flat, and buff the exterior of the cast iron transition piece, resulting in a perfect fit, for the cost of a bottle of bourbon.    

This is a serious low dome - finished height at tallest interior point is 10" on a 38" deck.  Learning to cook in there will be an interesting experience!   :-\
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:51:34 PM by RobynB »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 10:56:02 PM »
Beautiful! I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see your pies!

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
Very cool!  Looking forward to seeing some pies coming out of there.

Scott D.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 12:10:15 AM »
Looking GOOD! Excited for you all as well!
 8)
-Bill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
So cool Robyn!! Congrats on the first Flames! Its Fun Flirting with Fire right  ;D ? You should have nothing to worry about especially after adding even more perlite insulation. I have only perlite on the earthstone and after burning for 6 Hours at 800-900 barely warm to the touch.
My next home will definitely have an oven in the kitchen I feel it would  be used even more for the other great things these ovens can do the residual heat next day ...  So much better better  than running outside with this and that.
For recipe I recommend  start basic and go from there to your liking.
low 60's hydration with 10- 20 % HG flour to help with manageability (tastes good too)
2.5% on the salt
.25% yeast .  24-36hr min fermentation
Oh, don't forget to exercise as other members can attest this contant testing /experimenting can test your waist line  as well  :-D
John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »
looks amazing!  good luck with the first pizza.  i'm sure it will be the best you've ever had.
bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »
RobynB,

Those flames look so cool!   8)  Best of luck with you first bake!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 01:50:01 PM »
How cool is that!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
2nd burn and first pizza.
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2011, 01:07:17 AM »
You know those people like Chau and Scott D., the ones that pull picture-perfect gorgeous pies out of their oven on their first bake?  Yeah, I knew I wasn't going to be one of them, and guess what?  I was right  :-D  We're still officially curing it so we only went up to about 750-800F tonight but wanted to try just one pizza, so I threw together a quickie single-ball dough to try.  First time using my new GI peels, too.  Got the dressed dough onto the peel after several scary failures, using more bench flour than I wanted, and re-pulled it back into a lovely round circle.  Carried it over to the oven and took a deep breath and launched it, and OF COURSE it stuck to the peel and I panicked and did the "get it off, get it off" moves until I managed to unload it onto the oven floor in an elongated oval.  Then I made the noobie error of trying to pick up a piece of mozz that had fallen off onto the oven floor with my bare hand and put it back on the pizza - that hurt.  And of course I burned it; it's hard to see in there (I was cooking by coals, not flames, at that point).  Sigh.  Reality:  it was still better than most pizza I've eaten in restaurants over the years - Dan said if we were served this a few years ago, we'd probably have been totally stoked and called it "artisan" pizza and paid extra for it.  The biggest issue for me was getting it onto, and off of, the peel, which will just be practice, I guess.  I've watched that video from the Pizza Expo of the GI peel being slid effortlessly under the pizza a dozen times, but I haven't figured out that move yet, or it's reverse.

So here, for posterity, is my first WFO pizza.  Go ahead and laugh  ;D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: 2nd burn and first pizza.
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
.... it was still better than most pizza I've eaten in restaurants over the years ....

It looks like a great start.  I couldn't laugh, as my mouth would be full of your pizza.  Congrats on your first wfo pizza and many more to come :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »
Robyn,
I have to say WOW! Never mind the launching problems,you will get that fixed.Whats important,I can see how it COOKED! It looks so goood!
The color,the char,the rim spring,the way the cheese melted,I can only imagine how good it tasted!

Look forward to seeing your next few pies!!
 :chef:
-Bill

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2011, 02:07:50 AM »
Robyn,

Congrats on the first pizza.  It looks pretty yummy!  My first pizza with the GI peel ended up as a mutilated calzone ;D.  I wouldn't dare have posted it.  It was simply a mess.  I have switched to a wooden peel, and it is working out great.  I don't have the courage to try the GI peel again unless I am alone and just cooking for myself.  Keep up the good work.

Scott D.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »
#1 is done !  ;D and it still tastes great like you said. Now its on to  progress, not perfection.  This post is great because in 2 months you are going to post and its going to be completely different looking pizza Congrats again!
John

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I tell my wife all the time,  "Don't rely on this for dinner, it could all go to the dog"  it takes the pressure off.  So practice without fear of ruining dinner!

Great build!!   Can't wait to see the finished product!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »
Robyn, Congrats on your first pie and it looks fine.  You enjoyed it, that's all that matters.  I have had my mishaps with the GI metal peel and still working on it.   Like Scott said, I use the wooden peel when i'm cooking for others.  :-D

Robyn, did you use bread flour to make this dough?

Chau

parallei

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
Very cool Robyn.  Have fun!

pizzapan