Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 27266 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
Congradulations on your first WFO pie! The genie is out of the bottle now. I have no doubt that you will be making exactly the pies you see in your mind in no time.

Personally, the more I find wrong with a particular pie, the more I learn from it.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
First dinner party with WFO.
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2011, 01:01:58 AM »
Last night we had the first actual pizza dinner with the new WFO.  Time management was a big issue for me, because people were late and then cooking took a long time overall (longer time between each pizza than I anticipated) so dough sat out too long and overproofed.  Curious:  how do people compensate for that?  We figured out some things we need right away, like a heatproof washable rug or pad for right in front of the door; we need to figure out if we want a floor stand or a wall rack for the peels and get it ASAP, and we need a hook for a heat pad for the door.  I still had big issues with the GI peel, and used a cheapie aluminum solid one from Sur la Table for a lot of the loading because it was easier than the GI.  I want to try a wood one as has been suggested, AND I need to practice a lot with the GI peel.

I made 4 different doughs to try, and cooked a total of 12 balls.  I made 2 neapolitan style doughs with Caputo red bag flour based on a couple of Chau's formulas, one with IDY and using "effective hydration" at 63%, one with fresh yeast at 66% (both of those were overnight RT ferment).  I also made 2 BF doughs:  Peter Reinhart's Neo-Neapolitan dough using OG KABF and IDY, and Kenji's NY-Style dough using the same flour and yeast, overnight CF for  those two.  I cooked the 00 doughs first at high heat (when I was ready to cook the IR just said MAX which means I was over 932, and I was still around 850 when I finished those doughs).  The Caputo doughs were very difficult for me to work with.  Very soft, almost impossible to get onto the peel and to get off of it, but it was my first time working with 00 dough and I'm sure that it is just my low skill level with the peel and will try again later.  I did manage to get one very good one and a couple somewhat-salvageable ones from those doughs, but they were very frustrating for me and most of the pizzas were inedible.  Several were just a mess from loading and/or launching disasters.  I also had issues with a couple burning on the bottom, but I think that was various things like too hot deck, too much bench flour which burned, and tearing of the middle when launching causing the toppings to catch fire, all things I can work on.  After the 00 doughs, I let the oven cool a bit and started on the 2 NY-style doughs.  The Reinhart dough was a problem for me from the initial mix, I never enjoyed handling it start to finish, and the cooked crust was very bready and soft and wouldn't color well, probably due to overproofing.  I managed to get a couple nice small, very puffy pizzas from that dough, but it wasn't very popular, too bready.  The winner last night was Kenji's NY-style dough.  I only made 3 balls of that, and they were the easiest to work with, came out great even over-proofed (I thought they were a bit dry and tough, but nobody else thought so) and made nice big good-looking pies that were the easiest to load onto the peel and to launch.  The hydration of that dough is in the same ballpark as the others (66%) so I don't know exactly why that dough performed so well for me.  I freely admit the pizzas were not the end result I personally wanted, but they were crowd-pleasers AND the easiest for me to make, so that made them wonderful in my eyes.  Oven was still at 500+ this morning, and tonight I cooked an eggplant parmesan in it at ~375.  We still don't have the enclosure up which we will fill with perlite for even more insulation, but we're not losing much heat as it is.  It is functioning well, and I'm super-pleased with that  ;D  I love having it in the house, even though it WAS hot cooking last night.  But it's only hot here a few months out of the year, and even then we get cool spells.  The convenience of having it inside is really nice and I will definitely use it more because of it's proximity, and the pleasure of seeing it in the wall is awesome.  In the Winter it will be a joy to have.  It's been very efficient, and holds heat well.  

Photos:  First is the 00 Margherita that was my best of the 00 doughs.  I'm happy with that one  ;D  Then a Reinhart small pizza - that one I cooked for a long time and domed for literally MINUTES to get the color you see, and trust me, it wasn't lack of heat.  Then the Kenji dough in a sausage pizza, and a couple crumb shots of that one.  Finally my favorite of the night, a dessert pizza.  Kenji's dough topped with brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and sliced bananas.  Really good and a fun end for the evening, AND the best crumb photo of the night - why do scissors make for a better photo than a knife?  It doesn't make sense to me...

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2011, 01:39:29 AM »
Robyn,
Those pics of the pies are wonderful and you just started out.I can imagine there will be some trouble at first,but its just a small bump in the road.I look forward to your new pies and pics once you get it dialed in.
 :)
-Bill

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
Robyn,  good work so far.  I would highly reccomend lowering you hydration to 59 or 60 percent until you get the hang of working with the dough.  You may find that you keep it there.  Also,  make sure you take your dough ball and dredge it in flour before you work with it,  the whole thing cover it all,  if you are having sticking issues,  let the bottom on the dough ball sit in the flour for a minute,  then brush it off.   This should make things much easier,  without sacrificing quality.  I use a wood peel,  and would not go back to MY GI.  I could work with it,  but its a hassle,  for me.  Any aluminum,  non porus surface will promote sticking. I do like BillSFNM's method of using the GI.  Maybe he can point us to a video that shows his process.  Hope this helps some.  Happy Baking.  -Marc

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
Looking good Robyn. That Margherita is gorgeous!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:42 AM »
Looking good Robyn. That Margherita is gorgeous!

CL

+1.  You are coming along much faster than I ever did Robyn.  I also agree with Marc about the hydration rates especially when you are working with a low protein flour and extended fermentation times.   I would even cut hydration back to 57% or so.  It takes some getting use to so start lower despite what you see in my formulas.

Chau
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 08:08:18 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »
Bravo !! I was just going to pm you and see how it went. no worries and no explanation needed. Action shots dough on table / peel would help , just keep at it. OK payback now, show off! If I can find a shot of my first pizzas, I am jealous you have me beat hands down!! yes 60% max to start. Do you have the proofing boxes/ trays Doughmate will help you magage the proofing they fit in a standard fridge.
John
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:47:58 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
I do like BillSFNM's method of using the GI.  Maybe he can point us to a video that shows his process. 

See the 60 second mark in this video.

This is a 70%+ dough.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2011, 05:07:41 PM »
I don't want to get off topic here, but I've now seen that video multiple times and every time am blown away at the amount and intensity of steam that blows off when it hits the hearth.  I've cooked many 80% pies on a 1000F hearth and never seen anything like that. 
Is that common in your oven?  Once I saw that it was pretty obvious where all the oven spring in your pies comes from, lol.

See the 60 second mark in this video.

This is a 70%+ dough.
-Jeff

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
I don't want to get off topic here, but I've now seen that video multiple times and every time am blown away at the amount and intensity of steam that blows off when it hits the hearth.  I've cooked many 80% pies on a 1000F hearth and never seen anything like that. 
Is that common in your oven?  Once I saw that it was pretty obvious where all the oven spring in your pies comes from, lol.

Jeff,

I'll see about making some close-up video the next time I bake pies (Friday?). If so, I'll start a new thread so we don't hijack Robyn's great thread.

Bill/SFNM
(I think my brain will explode if I hear that song one more time!)

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Awesome pies! 

Well played!

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2011, 08:40:20 PM »
Thanks, Bill.  My, that music is certainly dramatic, isn't it?   :-D  I like the loading technique, I never thought of building it on a higher item and dragging it down, that's something I will definitely try.  I still don't see anything in the launching to enlighten me, I guess it just come down to skill and practice.   The experts always make it look so easy  ;D

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2011, 08:50:07 PM »
I like the loading technique, I never thought of building it on a higher item and dragging it down, that's something I will definitely try.  I still don't see anything in the launching to enlighten me, I guess it just come down to skill and practice. 

It is less about loading/launching than it is about building a dough which you can easily work with without much bench flour. And that is less about ratios and ingredients than it is about technique. With practice will come skill.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
With practice will come skill.

Amen! it just takes time to work out the details.  it's a really fun learning curve
bill

Offline texmex

« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2011, 07:48:09 AM »
Another exciting build thread.  Way to go, Robyn! :chef:
Reesa

Offline Martino1

• so much to learn
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2011, 09:55:09 AM »
hey Robyn
Congrats ! Your pies look super-lecker !

Don't worry about perfection the first time. You've got a WFO, that counts...
Too me all of the pies look mouthwatering and i sometimes have my toppings drop off the pizza being fried on the stone, put up again and the stone-fried pieces taste best ;D

Calzone surpresa is also always a big hit  ;)

Keep it going !
Martin
Pizza is the only dish perfect for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, late night snack ;-)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Oven Enclosure Pics
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2011, 08:35:46 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone!!  We are cooking again tonight, a much less stressful second pizza dinner from the WFO.  I'm only cooking 3 pizzas tonight, and I plan to enjoy them!

Here are photos of the enclosure which Dan finished this weekend.  It is Hardi-Board walls and ceiling supported by steel beams, filled with 5, 4 cubic foot bags of Perlite.  Ultimately it will be roofed, caulked and painted to match the house. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
I'm sooo jealous, very nice.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »
No Flyboy is jealous! so you have all of like 5 Joints to address?
Love it and it fits right in with the house right?
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2011, 11:30:14 PM »
Looks great Robyn.  How did you cut the round part in the cement board around the chimney?

John your right, I am jealous!  I am not sure what I was thinking with the octagon shape.  Could have been worse, I could have made it a decagon.

Scott D.

pizzapan