Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 25840 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:44 AM »
After months of reading this forum and doing research, we are finally starting our project for real.  We are installing a Four Grand-Mere oven (WFO from France) into the wall of our dining room.  Choosing this oven was a bumpy process and would never have happened without guidance and support from a few wonderful regulars here on pizzamaking.com, and I'm sure we'll need lots more of both throughout the install and beyond.  We got the oven today, and are hoping to have it up and cooking by sometime in July. 

Here are some photos.  First is an interior shot of the "before" area - we will be removing the big window and the mouth of the oven will be on the left side of the opening, closest to the existing woodstove in the corner.  Second and third pics are the new oven in it's temporary place on pallets outside the dining room, and the last photo is an exterior shot of the window which will be replaced by the WFO. 

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »
Congrats Robyn, the oven looks beautiful.  Can't wait to see it all set up and baking pies and other goodies!

Chau

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 01:16:59 AM »
I echo Chau's sentiment. Good stuff.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
Robyn - can you talk about how you came to your oven decision, and what criteria you deemed important?

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:57:01 AM »
Beautiful Oven!  Which model is it?  Is the dome insulated or just the floor?

Regards,
Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »
Robyn,
Congrats!!
Looks really nice! I Think you made a great decision. The dome is one piece cast right?. No joint problems to worry about here.  And as mentioned the dome height looks proper too. I love the nice thick double floor insulating setup Looks as though it will hold the heat really well. . Chamotte refractory concrete right?  The door will look sweet on the interior as well.
Trust me when the dust settles, and that first pie comes out, you will quickly forget about all those "should we really do this?" thoughts.
Best of luck and good wishes for a quick and trouble less build.
John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:10:25 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:27:10 AM »
YES!! I absolutely can not get enough of these oven build threads and this is looking like it could be a particularly good one.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
that's a wonderful looking oven.  the inside build is going to be really interesting to follow.  thanks for sharing!
bill

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
RobynB,

Congrats, on your beautiful looking oven.  :)  Will be following your thread.  It will be interesting to watch a inside build.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »
Very nice. Please posts lots of pictures of the build. I'm interested to see how thy move the engine into place.

Will the vent pipe run vertically through the interior of your home?

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Some answers
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:02:03 AM »
The oven is from Four Grand-Mere in France; it is the F950-B which means it has a 95cm interior and the inside of the dome is brick.  The dome is two pieces excluding the arch, and the bottom is also two pieces, plus the firebrick for the actual floor.  The exterior of the dome is Chamotte refractory concrete.  It came with two rolls of insulating blanket materials, and we will be adding to that and to the base also - that will be something for which we will solicit advice from this forum when we are ready to proceed.  I've done most of the research but that's not my comfort zone, it's my husband's.  He's not much for computer forums, but will be joining me online at some point to learn from the experts here.  

Performance and durability, quality of materials, and ease of installation were all considerations, of course.  One additional thing that was really important to us for the inside installation was that the interior of the oven be brick, purely for esthetic reasons.  Staring into a concrete dome just doesn't have the same feel inside the house, for us.  That really limited our choices.  We are local to both Mugnaini and Forno Bravo, and we visited both of them a couple times.  We also (just for the "what the heck" of it) contacted a few of the Italian companies for quotes.  We looked very seriously at the Cirigliano Forni import because I have a good impression of it from Tony's in SF, and because they offer a "core" version that would have been a more reasonable solution than a fully-complete Italian imported dome, and would work for our install since the oven itself (exterior) will be hidden.  We got an initial quote that stretched our budget but we were going to make it work, though the logistics of moving the core which comes in one VERY HEAVY piece was worrying my husband a lot.  Then we got to the ordering and discovered that they'd made an error in the original shipping quote, and the cost of shipping had tripled.  At that point one of the members of this forum suggested we look at the Four Grand-Mere ovens, and it turned out that we had a distributor less than half an hour from us.  The logistics of moving and installing the FGM oven was far more appealing to my husband, and the price was within our budget.   The FGM distributor turned out to be just the nicest and most helpful couple and they demonstrated the oven for us and made it an easy decision, so the whole thing just came together.  

I've attached a photo showing the seam in the dome, and a couple showing the interior - these photos are all of smaller ovens than the one we bought, they are his display and one he had dismantled when we originally visited.  

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »
That looks like a really nice oven. Your going to have a lot of fun when its all done especially since it's going to be in your house so you can use it rain or shine. Lovin' the low dome. If it's not to much trouble could you measure the center floor to dome height?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 05:19:52 PM »
That looks like a really nice oven. Your going to have a lot of fun when its all done especially since it's going to be in your house so you can use it rain or shine. Lovin' the low dome. If it's not to much trouble could you measure the center floor to dome height?

David,
I know that the F1030C has an extremely low dome @13", heat up time is suppose to be super fast.  The advantage of the 950 over the 1030, although slightly smaller is that it's 3" thick instead of 2".  You can make up for this though by adding an extra layer of insulation.  The 1030 is made to be portable so it is lighter.

Robyn, you made a great choice, these ovens are extremely high quality & are built to last.  FGM will be my next oven without question. 

Matt

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 06:36:19 PM »
Looks like a interesting way to make a brick lined oven.  Seems like they form the dome from the bricks and then poor the castable right over it.
-Jeff

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:53 PM »
Nice oven!  How hot can it get, I can only find information that shows 300 degrees Celsius.  Any chance you can message me with the cost of this oven..

Thanks,

Scott D.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 09:00:41 PM »
Just a suggestion for when you fire it.  Make sure your AC/Heat unit has the fan turned to "on" but not "max" or "auto", and be careful with open doors and windows during the initial fire starting.  You want an overpressure in the house to encourage the smoke to go up the chimney until it reaches operating temperatures.

Great looking oven and the location seems perfect. 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 09:38:19 PM »
@BrickStoneOven:  Dome center height is ~9.5".  When I was measuring it, hubby came over and said "Damn, looks like it's too low for a turkey.  So much for Thanksgiving."   Sigh.  :-D  Thank you for the positive feedback, it is good to hear.

@ScottD:  I will PM you about cost.  The 300 celsius on the website threw me at first too.  But if you look at the specs, this oven is actually rated to temps over 1250-C!  However, the French seem to believe that one should cook pizza at, or below, 300-C.  Sigh again.  When we were having the demo, he actually heated the oven to about 500-Farenheit and then let it COOL DOWN to cook the pizza.  It was an experience  ;D

@Tscarborough:  Thanks for the suggestion - we (ahem) don't actually have heating or AC in our house.  I know, it's incredible.  We heat with a very efficient woodstove and we cool with open windows.  Crazy, huh?

@TXCraig1:  The venting will be right at the edge of our exterior wall, and will be vented at an angle to the exterior.  We plan to frame everything in that area with metal and hardiboard, and use double-wall pipe of course.  Additional suggestions always welcome.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 02:05:42 PM by RobynB »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
You will want to open windows upwind then.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »
"Damn, looks like it's too low for a turkey.  So much for Thanksgiving."   Sigh.

No need to give up on the turkey. A deboned, brined turkey is one of my favorite things to roast in the WFO. Presentation might not be as spectacular as a whole bird, but the flavor and juiciness of poultry cooked high and fast is vastly superior IMO. And the rich gravy made from stock from the bones is the best part.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
@BrickStoneOven:  Dome center height is ~9.5".

Holy crap that's low.