Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 26763 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:07:51 PM »
Moving the questions to a separate post as I think they got lost under all the replies:

And now our first questions, on the topic of insulation.  1)  How important is it (if at all) for the insulation to be even all the way around?  Meaning, can we do the basic all the way around, and then put extra where we have room for it?  Seems like I've seen others do that (wrap it in the blankets, etc, then fill the exterior enclosure with vermiculite or whatever).  Suggestions regarding additional insulation?  It came with two bundles of what they are calling "rock wool" which I believe to be what I've seen here referred to as insulating blankets.  There is one large piece of plain "wool" that he said would wrap twice (I believe) around the dome, and then a second bundle that is the wool with a reflective metal sheet (like foil) attached that goes as the last layer.  We planned to use all of that and then fill the space between the wrapped oven and the walls of the rectangular outside enclosure with vermiculite or similar as recommended - yes?  Or ?? 

2)  Our stand will be concrete.  Should we do anything additional between the concrete top of the stand and the insulation base that came with the oven?  It seems like I recall Mugnaini talking about putting sand under the insulation to be a "heat sink" but I don't see anything about that anywhere else? 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Holy crap that's low.

What is the internal diameter? 32 or 33"? If so, 9.5" height would be right in line with Marco's 3.4/1 ratio.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline carbon

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »
 Should we do anything additional between the concrete top of the stand and the insulation base that came with the oven?  It seems like I recall Mugnaini talking about putting sand under the insulation to be a "heat sink" but I don't see anything about that anywhere else?  
I don't see any point in adding more thermal mass under the insulation.  If anything, I would add additional rigid insulation there if you were planning on additional insulation to the dome.

edit:  perhaps a thin layer of sand/clay mixture can be used as a leveler/filler when placing the oven on the concrete stand.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:47:31 PM by carbon »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »
Robyn,

I'm curious how they suggest making the connection between the flue pipe and the double-wall chimney pipe. It looks like, from the specs, that the flue pipe is 155mm or just slightly larger than 6". I ask because I have a similar issue today. I'm working on the best way to connect a 250mm flue (just under 10") to 10" double-wall chimney. I'm planning on using a 10" single wall to double wall adapter, and it is a really tight fit as you can imagine, it's also not as heavy duty as I would like. Your connection might be a little harder given the double wall will be larger and maybe difficult to get a tight seal? Do they reccomended a custom made connection?

Thanks,
Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:34 PM »
It is 95cm = 37.5" diameter inside the dome.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
Craig - for that question I will have to defer to my husband as I have no idea his plans.  I will show him your questions tonight and get back to you. 

Robyn

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Update for this weekend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Needless to say with a project like this, delays keep popping up so we are already a bit behind our starry-eyed, optimistic schedule.  We lost the first week and weekend of June to heavy rain.  Last weekend we finally got the building materials on-site and did a lot of prep and measuring and layout.  We received the extra foam board insulation that I ordered from Forno Bravo which will go under the oven in addition to the vermicrete pad.  Dan works on Saturdays, days off are Friday and Sunday, so yesterday Dan moved the phone jack and electrical which of course was in the section of wall we are using.  Then we dealt with the mouse that has been living in that section of wall and who decided to join our household through the convenient new hole, much to the delight of our cats.  Unfortunately our cats are enthusiastic but not skilled, which is why I was at Safeway at 10:30 last night buying a dozen mousetraps.  More importantly, yesterday Dan got the walls of the stand built.  Against the house is a sheet of Hardibacker board against craft paper.  Rebar is epoxy'd into the existing slab.  Blocks are mortared on the horizontal joints and dry on the vertical.  He put horizontal rebar every second course of blocks.  Tonight he is starting on the framework for the slab.  He still needs to pour the concrete into the walls once the mortar has set.  I ordered the new small 24x48 double-hung window which will be to the right of the oven, and discovered that wood windows take minimum 3 weeks to get! which was news to me, and which may set us back a bit, since the window will need to be painted before installation.  And today we received our order of GI Metal tools - thanks, John!!   

If you look at the window in the photos, you will see the blue pieces of tape on it.  They mark the future location of the oven door.  We decided on 42" height, and positioned it as far to the left as we could to leave maximum room for the new window next to it.  It's starting to feel a little more real - I'm sure when we remove the window and are living with a sheet of plywood in it's place it will feel MUCH more real  ;D  I still have moments of looking at the window/wall and thinking OMG what are we doing?  Right now, it seems like this project is going to take forever, but I'm sure it will go by quickly.   

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:05 AM »
Thank you for posting the progress reports.

I'm really interested in your build and cant wait to see the finished oven, and bakes.

AZ

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
Robyn, you and your hubby are doing a great job with the project.   His work looks very meticulous and clean.  I really love that. 

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
And Hurricane and Earthquake proof  ;D Lots of bar like mine will be there after the house! there is another side to go somewhere or freewheeling anf just the 2 walls ? Lookin good!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Ready to pour on Sunday!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
Here's the latest.  Dan decided to cut up some block and use it to hold the slab, a nicer/cleaner look.  Then he built the forms and inserted all the rebar today.  Earlier, he also cut out the wall under the window to accommodate the slab.  This stand will definitely be here long after we're gone  ;D

Photos:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 09:05:09 PM »
I have never seen such precision work with cinder blocks before. Very impressive attention to detail.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
Yes very nice!! Its  too bad all that block work will be covered with stone veneer ?or do you plan to just paint the block. Thats some rebar action too! How much did you say the Four Grand Mere weighed again?
Looks as tough you could put another over thru the wall on the second floor if you wish. I have 2 ovens but I dont know anyone who has one in the 2nd floor bedroom  :D
Tools arrived safely I hope?
John

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
John - you must have missed my mention above - yes, tools arrived safely and are great!  Thank you so much!!  The FGM only weighs ~800 lbs, but my husband builds to his own ideas of what is "right".   

The current plan is to enclose the stand and oven in T1-11 as is the house, and paint to match.  But the stand looks so nice, we may alter that plan  :D  Tomorrow we pour - here's hoping that being there when they open means I get to rent the cement mixer at the local place. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
oops  :-[ yes I missed it above like others I am still fascinated by the quality of the block work, and kept checking that outI am   glad you like the GI tools I like the Idea of having them there in advance  keeping you motivated and moving, waiting for that first launch into the depths of flame  >:D
John
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:08 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
Slab was poured today - yay!  It went amazingly smoothly, thanks at least in part to the cement mixer we rented - best $25 I've spent in a long time!  Now we wait for this to cure, and next weekend the window comes out, we move over and assemble the oven, and we start the wall work.  Movin' along!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
Wow,cant wait to see the next round of pics and progress!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
Robyn, that is a stellar base for the oven.  Looks like it could withstand anything.  I can't wait to see the rest. :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »
RobynB,

Your stand looks really good.  :)  Also can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Looking very nice so far.  I am really interested in seeing more pics on this build

pizzapan