Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 35654 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »
Craig - for that question I will have to defer to my husband as I have no idea his plans.  I will show him your questions tonight and get back to you. 

Robyn

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Update for this weekend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Needless to say with a project like this, delays keep popping up so we are already a bit behind our starry-eyed, optimistic schedule.  We lost the first week and weekend of June to heavy rain.  Last weekend we finally got the building materials on-site and did a lot of prep and measuring and layout.  We received the extra foam board insulation that I ordered from Forno Bravo which will go under the oven in addition to the vermicrete pad.  Dan works on Saturdays, days off are Friday and Sunday, so yesterday Dan moved the phone jack and electrical which of course was in the section of wall we are using.  Then we dealt with the mouse that has been living in that section of wall and who decided to join our household through the convenient new hole, much to the delight of our cats.  Unfortunately our cats are enthusiastic but not skilled, which is why I was at Safeway at 10:30 last night buying a dozen mousetraps.  More importantly, yesterday Dan got the walls of the stand built.  Against the house is a sheet of Hardibacker board against craft paper.  Rebar is epoxy'd into the existing slab.  Blocks are mortared on the horizontal joints and dry on the vertical.  He put horizontal rebar every second course of blocks.  Tonight he is starting on the framework for the slab.  He still needs to pour the concrete into the walls once the mortar has set.  I ordered the new small 24x48 double-hung window which will be to the right of the oven, and discovered that wood windows take minimum 3 weeks to get! which was news to me, and which may set us back a bit, since the window will need to be painted before installation.  And today we received our order of GI Metal tools - thanks, John!!   

If you look at the window in the photos, you will see the blue pieces of tape on it.  They mark the future location of the oven door.  We decided on 42" height, and positioned it as far to the left as we could to leave maximum room for the new window next to it.  It's starting to feel a little more real - I'm sure when we remove the window and are living with a sheet of plywood in it's place it will feel MUCH more real  ;D  I still have moments of looking at the window/wall and thinking OMG what are we doing?  Right now, it seems like this project is going to take forever, but I'm sure it will go by quickly.   

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 01:51:05 AM »
Thank you for posting the progress reports.

I'm really interested in your build and cant wait to see the finished oven, and bakes.

AZ

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 08:04:43 AM »
Robyn, you and your hubby are doing a great job with the project.   His work looks very meticulous and clean.  I really love that. 

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:32 PM »
And Hurricane and Earthquake proof  ;D Lots of bar like mine will be there after the house! there is another side to go somewhere or freewheeling anf just the 2 walls ? Lookin good!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Ready to pour on Sunday!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »
Here's the latest.  Dan decided to cut up some block and use it to hold the slab, a nicer/cleaner look.  Then he built the forms and inserted all the rebar today.  Earlier, he also cut out the wall under the window to accommodate the slab.  This stand will definitely be here long after we're gone  ;D

Photos:

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 09:05:09 PM »
I have never seen such precision work with cinder blocks before. Very impressive attention to detail.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
Yes very nice!! Its  too bad all that block work will be covered with stone veneer ?or do you plan to just paint the block. Thats some rebar action too! How much did you say the Four Grand Mere weighed again?
Looks as tough you could put another over thru the wall on the second floor if you wish. I have 2 ovens but I dont know anyone who has one in the 2nd floor bedroom  :D
Tools arrived safely I hope?
John

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2011, 01:29:08 AM »
John - you must have missed my mention above - yes, tools arrived safely and are great!  Thank you so much!!  The FGM only weighs ~800 lbs, but my husband builds to his own ideas of what is "right".   

The current plan is to enclose the stand and oven in T1-11 as is the house, and paint to match.  But the stand looks so nice, we may alter that plan  :D  Tomorrow we pour - here's hoping that being there when they open means I get to rent the cement mixer at the local place. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
oops  :-[ yes I missed it above like others I am still fascinated by the quality of the block work, and kept checking that outI am   glad you like the GI tools I like the Idea of having them there in advance  keeping you motivated and moving, waiting for that first launch into the depths of flame  >:D
John
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:07:08 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 10:57:17 PM »
Slab was poured today - yay!  It went amazingly smoothly, thanks at least in part to the cement mixer we rented - best $25 I've spent in a long time!  Now we wait for this to cure, and next weekend the window comes out, we move over and assemble the oven, and we start the wall work.  Movin' along!

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 11:14:59 PM »
Wow,cant wait to see the next round of pics and progress!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
Robyn, that is a stellar base for the oven.  Looks like it could withstand anything.  I can't wait to see the rest. :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »
RobynB,

Your stand looks really good.  :)  Also can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Norma

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »
Looking very nice so far.  I am really interested in seeing more pics on this build

Offline Ev

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
Awesome, dudette! ;D

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Just a mini-update before the weekend
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2011, 09:41:46 PM »
Last weekend we took all the forms off/out of the cured slab, and here are a couple pics of that.  Tomorrow we remove the window and I pick up the new one which will need to be painted before installation.  Dan's hoping to get the wall rough-framed tomorrow after the window is out.  If all goes well with regards to wall prep, Sunday (hopefully) we will actually be assembling the oven on the insulation on the slab.  I went to the woodstove place today to investigate chimney pipe and venting, and got the order sheet which Dan is figuring out, and hopefully we will get the chimney pipe, etc ordered in the next few days.  Yes, Craig, we too are dealing with an off-standard size opening for which we will need to have an adapter custom made.  So the venting won't be in place for at least a week or two.  Still, with luck we'll have good progress to share by Monday...

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:25 PM »
Robyn,  Looks good so far.  Is there any rebar buried in your slab?  -Marc

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »
Marc,
Pg2 reply 30 Rebar central! this baby is built!
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
I'm impressed.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Pics from today, and a question
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:41 PM »
Today the window came out, and we assembled the insulation, insulated base, and floor pan of the oven in place and secured them.  Dan used construction adhesive for the insulation to slab, and he drilled holes and used epoxy for the eye-bolts placed into the slab around the base, to which we will attach cables over the oven, to hold it in case of earthquake.  We then laid out the firebrick in the pan, and discovered that it is uneven in height.  The instructions that came with the oven are a very poor translation from the original French, and unfortunately we don't have the original French to get a better translation.   Here is what it says "Place pre-cut bricks on the floor without to paste them.  NO SEAM IS USED BETWEEN THE BRICKS.  If necessary, it is possible to get a standard height of bricks if you place cement under some of them which are a bit lower than others.  Around the floor, it is to use cement with sand to block bricks (1 proportion of cement for 3 of sand)."  Part of our confusion is that "seam" appears to be a fine mortar, a bag of which came with the oven.  But they also mention cement, and we're not sure if cement and the fine mortar are the same things or different, nor are we sure if what they call sand is the same as what we do.  The seller is in France right now - I have an email out to him...  Any suggestions?  I'm really reluctant to use sand or cement under the firebrick, but I do want them level.  What have you guys done for yours?  Here's today's pics:

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
Robyn,  a mixture of sand and fireclay are usually used to sort out problems like that,  it is difficult,  but the more time you spend on it,  the happier you will be.  Less pizza will be ripped over the years.  It is best if the bricks are tapered on the edges and they are not sharp.  Of you ever get the chance to see inside patsys oven under the bridge,  you will see that thier oven floor is super rough,  and looks like large 1' by 1' blocks.  I had no idea how these guys were making pizza in it.  If you reference the pompeii oven directions on forno barvos site,  it will explain the floor leveling mixture. for you. -marc

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:40 PM »
Robyn,
I have mentioned this before somewhere but I still feel that this was by far the hardest part of my oven build that is  to get the floor/hearth tiles perfect! I used a full 1" of "lean cement" under tiles I think it was like 3 parts sand and 1 part high temp mortar? I have other pics somewhere of dead on with the level on top of tiles because  I was so picky with that part. you can see the layers in the oven pic.conc. hearth ,sand,tiles, below. It was was quite hard to get it right! It is not like setting a block wall with mortar where you simply tap it down to level. I used an 8"  square flat trowel that helped a lot.   It was add material, scrape down, check, tap listen ,fill, tap scrape abit .... One at  a time! and checking with a 4ft level each one was spot on, and they all lined up.  What I am trying to say is it was a pain in the !@#$ but worth the time you put in. The floor has not moved an inkling in 6 years. By the looks of the hearth hubby built, he should have no problem just getting a few tiles level. Looking good. Question I have is is the chimney 100% outside? or is the opening of the oven flush with the inside wall or is the plan to have it protrude a bit out from the inside wall ? Thanks looking really good!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:31:42 PM by JConk007 »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:44 PM »
Thanks, John and Marc.  So I guess it is okay to use something under the floor to level it, that was my main question.  I think leveling the floor will be my job, so that should be fun  :-\
John:  the flue (the cast iron thingie pictured below) will be inside the wall with just the handle protruding out into the room so that we can adjust the flue, and the chimney will angle through the wall with a couple 30 degree elbows and then go straight up outside through the eaves. 

Here's a couple more photos from end of today. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:20:44 AM by RobynB »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Okay, completely stressed about the floor of this thing...
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »
Saturday, yesterday and today we have spent many hours cutting the floor tiles, puzzling them together as best we could to fill in many gaps around the sides, and then today we mixed up the sand/high-temp-mortar barely-wet mix, and set them.  It's been a bit of a nightmare - the floor pan is not level, it has ripples and bumps all over it, plus the seam where the two halves join is not flat.  The floor tiles themselves are imperfect with respect to shape and to level-ness, and they chip easily.  All in all, we did the best we could do, and I'm not sure it's good enough.  Those of you that have been following this thread know what perfectionists we are, and this floor is nowhere near perfect, and it's driving me crazy.  The biggest issue is where the outside deck meets the floor tiles just inside the doorway; we have a rise of about 3/16".  I've attached photos to show all of this.   I'm frustrated because the other FGM ovens we've seen do not seem to have this issue.  My fear is that sooner or later someone will be less than careful and will hit that with the peel and it will start chipping...  It's way to the front of the cooking area so one shouldn't hit it with the peel, but I'm sure it will happen at some point.   Once the dome is on this will be MUCH harder to fix, and we are supposed to get the dome up Thursday so we have a small time crunch. 

Question:  can we sand it to chamfer that rise?  We would use a power sander, a belt sander to do the rough work and then a random orbital sander with fine paper to finish it.  We tried sanding a leftover piece of firebrick and it seemed to work fine - is there any reason not to do so?  It did remove the slightly darker factory patina but so did cutting them and that will get rubbed with time anyway, right?  The main floor is pretty smooth, the only real issue is the entrance.  Here's photos:

pizzapan