Author Topic: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!  (Read 25253 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Oven is here - guess this means we're really doing this!
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
John:  I probably overdo my preheat, because it's easy and I enjoy having the fire going.  I have gone from cold to cooking in 2-3 hours and it was fine, but I usually do more like 3-5 hours.  That's with a cold start.  If I cooked the night before, the next afternoon I'm probably still at 500F-ish, maybe less if I let it cool down some before putting in the insulated door.  That cuts down on preheat considerably.  I'm not sure the minimum preheat because I've never rushed it.  And it usually takes me an hour to build up from kindling to a real blazing fire, which could probably be shortened if I wanted to.   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
In my limited experience, you can't overdo the preheat. Yes, I'm sure you could if you really tried, but you would really have to try to do so.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
John:  I probably overdo my preheat, because it's easy and I enjoy having the fire going.  I have gone from cold to cooking in 2-3 hours and it was fine, but I usually do more like 3-5 hours.  That's with a cold start.  If I cooked the night before, the next afternoon I'm probably still at 500F-ish, maybe less if I let it cool down some before putting in the insulated door.  That cuts down on preheat considerably.  I'm not sure the minimum preheat because I've never rushed it.  And it usually takes me an hour to build up from kindling to a real blazing fire, which could probably be shortened if I wanted to.   

Thanks for the info Robyn. I guess I have to come to terms with not being able to cook 45 minutes after firing as I can with my small, less-thick oven.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Pizza-Vera: inside photos for you.
« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:11 PM »
Here are a few photos of the finished interior of the room.  We went for understated at least for now, so it doesn't really stand out when it's closed up.  Someday we may do a different wall treatment, we're seeing how the drywall and paint hold up.  I have had to wash oil and soot off the wall a couple times, so we're not sure how it will look long-term.  If it starts looking stained or dingy, we'll do something.

robin, how do you set up the area for pizza making?any pictures.

Offline JoeQueCalo

Re: Pizza-Vera: inside photos for you.
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Here are a few photos of the finished interior of the room.  We went for understated at least for now, so it doesn't really stand out when it's closed up.  Someday we may do a different wall treatment, we're seeing how the drywall and paint hold up.  I have had to wash oil and soot off the wall a couple times, so we're not sure how it will look long-term.  If it starts looking stained or dingy, we'll do something.

Great job on the oven.
I'm starting to build mine and, after a lot of research, I'm currently planning on building a FGM 950 as well.
From what I could tell, it looks like you opted to not install the thermometer. Just wanted to get your or any other FGM owners' thoughts on the thermometer since I read that the thermometer can only handle about 750F.
Thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #145 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:14 PM »
You don't need a thermometer built into your oven. It's just something else to break. 750F is all but worthless for pizza anyway. Get a non-contact IR point thermometer that will do at least 1000F. It will let you check the temp at any spot in the oven - not just where your thermocouple happens to be. You will find other uses for it too.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JoeQueCalo

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
You don't need a thermometer built into your oven. It's just something else to break. 750F is all but worthless for pizza anyway. Get a non-contact IR point thermometer that will do at least 1000F. It will let you check the temp at any spot in the oven - not just where your thermocouple happens to be. You will find other uses for it too.

CL

Thanks CL.
Already have a good IR thermometer so I'll just forego the built-in thermometer.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44:38 AM »
Yep, we didn't bother with the thermometer - as Craig advises, we bought an IR.  Let me know if you have any questions or anything.  You'll love the oven!  Are you putting it indoors or out?  Brick interior or refractory?  What do you plan to do with it?

Robyn

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
Thanks CL.
Already have a good IR thermometer so I'll just forego the built-in thermometer.

I have this one and it seems to work well.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03450466000P?vName=Tool%20Catalog&cName=AutoSpecialtyTools&sName=Diagnostic%20Toolsmv=rr
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JoeQueCalo

« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
Yep, we didn't bother with the thermometer - as Craig advises, we bought an IR.  Let me know if you have any questions or anything.  You'll love the oven!  Are you putting it indoors or out?  Brick interior or refractory?  What do you plan to do with it?

Robyn

Thanks Robyn.
I'm building it outside. I didn't buy the oven yet (but will be very soon) as I've been debating between the brick and the refractory and I'm also looking at the raised option, which adds 3" of height. Any thoughts on that? Lower is probably better for pizza, but I plan to make everything I can in the oven: pizza, bread, turkey, steak, stew, etc.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2012, 11:34:38 PM »
If you want to do a turkey, yeah, you're going to need the raised one  ;)  That was a running joke around here last year.  I have baked some bread in ours, and roasted veggies, and we bought a Tuscan grill for meat but hubby had to cut the legs almost off to get it to fit in ours.  If you want the versatility to do larger things, you will probably need the extra height, but then, I can't speak to cooking Neapolitan pizza in that size.  I can easily put two half-sheets of veggies in to roast, so horizontal room is good, but it's a low ceiling to maneuver under.  I have used a smaller dutch oven but my bigger ones don't fit.  For outdoors, the refractory interior might be fine - for indoors, the brick interior was a must for me.  I'm assuming you read about our floor issues and are ready to address same if needed? 

Offline JoeQueCalo

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I did read about your floor issues, which was a little discouraging to read about the product. Guess I'll see how it goes.

Offline Reep

« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
I assume the lower height would not be a problem for fish, steak or bread <6" tall though, right?

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
No, you should be fine at that size. 

pizzapan