Author Topic: Forget the scale-Use your eyeball!  (Read 4919 times)

Offline wucactus1

Re: Forget the scale-Use your eyeball!
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »
Latest Pizza, eyeballed and out of the home oven.  Tried switching somethings up and doing a 20hr rm. temp rise, things went a little screwy either the ambient temps fluxuated to much, I added to much starter(possible) or a little little salt(unlikely), either way I ended up with a 17hr rm temp rise 2hr retarding in the fridge and 1-1.5 hour to get the dough back to rm. temp.
The pizza tasted really good...not really sour yet(maybe using the starter as its young) and the dough was a bit more difficult to stretch than my normal High HR doughs, but not by much, In retrospect I shouldnt have retarded the balls, but did so out of fear over overfermenting.  This reatrding prbably caused most of my problems(the stretching and lack of sourness).
Here are some pics

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2011, 11:20:47 PM »
crumb..sorry iphone sucks at pics when covered in flour.

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 03:34:46 PM »
dang no feed back, my narcissistic college mentality needs it!

Offline rlaz

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
My first post here and I guess I've been going about things bassackwards.  I started working on a basic crust using KA bread flour a little over a year ago.  I've been modifying it by feel, yeast amount, kneading technique and apparant "wetness" (how's that for a scientific term?  And I'm an engineer.) ever since.  Somehow I've gotten to the point where I think I've got a pretty good dough but judging from some of the photos here I still have much room for improvement.  That being said, I haven't written anything down.  I'll buy me a scale so hopefully I can get more consistent results and record the ingredient amounts.  Looks like there is a ton of good information here from all you folks.  I need to learn how to make mozzarella, work on my sauce, break up the routine by using different flours, etc.  Looking forward to it.

Robert

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:15 PM »
rlaz being an engineer Im sure youll catch on fast.
It does help to know and work with calculated/consistant doughs.  Figure out what makes what do what and why, then you can take away the tools and try to match the calculated doughs through sensory perception.
As for cheese, its something I have been wanting to do, but haven gotten ahold of unpast. milk or rennet and for your sauce find some good tomatoes and then add nothing but salt to taste, let the oven do the rest!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »
My first post here and I guess I've been going about things bassackwards.  I started working on a basic crust using KA bread flour a little over a year ago.  I've been modifying it by feel, yeast amount, kneading technique and apparant "wetness" (how's that for a scientific term?  And I'm an engineer.) ever since.  Somehow I've gotten to the point where I think I've got a pretty good dough but judging from some of the photos here I still have much room for improvement.  That being said, I haven't written anything down.  I'll buy me a scale so hopefully I can get more consistent results and record the ingredient amounts.  Looks like there is a ton of good information here from all you folks.  I need to learn how to make mozzarella, work on my sauce, break up the routine by using different flours, etc.  Looking forward to it.

Robert
oil is entirely heavier than you think it is and your 'this looks good' can be 20-30% oil (upwards of 10x what a 'normal' ny style recipe may have).   kneading is sub-par to stretch and fold (which i feel greatly improves your skill by a few levels and opens fantastic doors to tartine bread level crumb), use a hair less yeast than you think you may need but only a hair less (.1% of flour weight makes a difference), sugar and salt, 2 pizzas looks like a kitchen tablespoon (not measured tablespoons) scant with salt for salt total, sugar about the same.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2011, 08:16:32 AM »
Latest Pizza, eyeballed and out of the home oven. 

I just saw this thread. Fantastic pies, I love the pearlescent crumb. Your skill level with pizza and bread is enviable.

John

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »
Thanks John I appreciate it. These pie are the acculmination of the wealth of knowledge you guy on the forum provide plus alittle experimentation.  I have done many pies and tartine breads this way. The true method if primitive baking, now that I have some what consistency over this blind method I tried switching up my process this time using a naturally leavened preferment. You should check out my thread switching it up upn style and let me know what you think. A's always you wfo pies look great!