Author Topic: WFO Interior Height  (Read 4539 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: WFO Interior Height
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
Bingo!  I have found that using an andrion on the fire side makes a big difference in heat & flame size from the increased airflow.

Matt how do those work? Do you place it on top of the coals when you reach operating temp and then lean a piece of wood on it? Or do you start the fire with it and leave it in there the whole time while it reachs temp?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
Matt how do those work? Do you place it on top of the coals when you reach operating temp and then lean a piece of wood on it? Or do you start the fire with it and leave it in there the whole time while it reachs temp?

I use one from a fireplace that I modified it to fit my oven.  I place it at the side at the beginning & then use it to prop my fire logs on once the oven has reached temp & after the cooking floor is clean.

Matt

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »
So its kind of buried in the coals while your using it or after you reach temp you pick it up out of the coals and place it back on top?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »
So its kind of buried in the coals while your using it or after you reach temp you pick it up out of the coals and place it back on top?

Sort of.  I try to put most of my coals in front (top) & behind (bottom).  I try to keep the area directly underneath free of coals.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 06:37:58 PM by Matthew »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
{whispering} I think that was a typo - he meant an "andiron".

Offline Matthew

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
{whispering} I think that was a typo - he meant an "andiron".

My mistake, I meant a fireplace grate.

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 07:21:44 PM »
Here is an interesting view of Roberto's oven during a bake. The fire is placed nearly center, and the live flame is small and upright. The pizza is cooked right next to it. I do not know what size oven he has. It may be that the coals are moved throughout the service and the pizza is cooked according to that placement. It also shows that there are as many ways to cook in a NP oven as there are ovens.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osIMdcXEqls" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osIMdcXEqls</a>

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
That is just what I was going to try this weekend!  ;D  The rim is soft.  It only cracked when he cut through the bubble.   Thanks for the post John. 

Chau
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:28:16 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2011, 07:26:38 PM »
That is just what I was going to try this weekend!  ;D

You are channelling Roberto  ;)

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
You are channelling Roberto  ;)

John

Only following in your footsteps John.   Here's my dough from last weekend.  Even made a square pie.  :-D Okay back to the regular program.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:33:33 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
my last 3 bakes i used a refractory brick to lay my wood logs, so i have a better air flow, something like Matt's idea... i think this made my oven better for neapolitan pizza...

here are 2 pictures that you could see the brick inside the oven...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 10:42:46 PM »
I do not think the height alone makes any difference at all, other than a taller one allows for a better fire.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 06:04:44 AM »
I went to my supplier today to pick up a bag of Caputo & noticed that he had a very nice precast low dome WFO kit sitting on a pallet.  It turns out that a local guy & retired engineer in now making precast Neapolitan style ovens.  I spoke with him last evening & as it turns out he spend some time in Naples visiting different manufactures.  He currently has a single mould for a 42" & is working on another 36'.  He claims to be using high end refractory material for the casting & at first glance it looks extremely well engineered & fits together really nicely.  They are extremely well priced at $2700 which includes ceramic blanket, floor insulation board, SS chimney & cap, SS door & refractory mortar.  I'm not sure of the dome height but he told me that it was in line with the Neapolitan standard.  I think I found my next oven!

Matt

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 07:01:10 AM »
They are extremely well priced at $2700 which includes ceramic blanket, floor insulation board, SS chimney & cap, SS door & refractory mortar.  I'm not sure of the dome height but he told me that it was in line with the Neapolitan standard.  I think I found my next oven!

Matt

Matt - Does it include the floor as well? Does he have a website?

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
Matt - Does it include the floor as well? Does he have a website?

John

Yes, it includes a 2" thick refractory brick floor.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:15 AM »
Looks great Matt! 42" for $2800 sweet! John good luck after getting it "in"  from Canada could be Like $10,000.00 !! :-D
just kidding Matt will work his magic
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 07:16:20 AM »
thats cool Matt, to bad i live in Brazil, cause i am thinking about a new oven....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 09:33:01 AM »
I do not think the height alone makes any difference at all, other than a taller one allows for a better fire.

Within some limited range perhaps. Clearly it makes a difference either way at some point.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:19 AM »
I think the dome height determines the temperature at which a particular oven will cook a pizza evenly - the top ready before the bottom is burnt or vice versa.  I confirmed this theory by raising my floor 2".  before the balance temp was about 700, after it was about 825.  i could cook at 825 before, but i would have to dome the pizzas and have the peel under the pie for the last part of the bake or it would burn the bottom.  now, at 825 the top and bottom are ready at the same time with no doming or other tricks required.  of course, there are a few other variables involved that are difficult to isolate ;)
bill

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:26 PM »
the log and ash setup that keste uses is the logs are in the back left propped up on a log holder the ash is in front with a small area that is opened between the log and ash. i do not remember the reason but it was important to have a little space between them. the video was a little old they changed oven sides to help kitchen flow

pizzapan