Author Topic: Pizza Mold - Cheapo Chinese Made Mold???  (Read 1257 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Pizza Mold - Cheapo Chinese Made Mold???
« on: May 28, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
What do you guys think of this one for a pizza mold?   If I want a 14 inch pizza of course the mold has to be smaller than that so I can mold it then stretch it out.   How much diameter do I need for a pizza mold? Thanks.

buceriasdon

Re: Pizza Mold - Cheapo Chinese Made Mold???
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »
What are we looking at? Are these metal or plastic? What purpose will they serve?
Don

What do you guys think of this one for a pizza mold?   If I want a 14 inch pizza of course the mold has to be smaller than that so I can mold it then stretch it out.   How much diameter do I need for a pizza mold? Thanks.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
What are we looking at? Are these metal or plastic? What purpose will they serve?
Don

Oh yes, it's from Ebay and it is claimed to be a pizza mold but thing is it's 8 inch diameter and I want to make a 14 inch pizza.  I know you don't need a mold the size of the pizza you want, actually you don't want that, you want to just shape it into a good circle then stretch but not sure how much diameter you need in relation to your pizza.  It's made out of silicon.   I wonder if a metal deep dish pizza pan would make a good mold.  I saw a link that Peter has to a mold too but I'm just figuring out options and what cost what.

Here it is on Ebay -

http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Pizza-Silicone-Mold-Cake-Maker-Mold-8-/390310432191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae0508dbf

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
I have no experience with those so I cannot say how well they might work for ya.Are you having trouble making the pies round or reaching a certain size?

-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »
I have no experience with those so I cannot say how well they might work for ya.Are you having trouble making the pies round or reaching a certain size?

Well I watch all the videos on YouTube and I can't get it down consistently.   At times I make a pretty good round pizza and at times it's really off.   I know, you get the round dough ball, flatten it and put flour on it.  Rotate it around with your palms of your hands and stuff.  It works pretty good but sometimes it turns out kinda strange shaped.  As said, hit and miss.  The link that Peter gave showing out a pizza mold works is pretty cool.  Let me see on YouTube if I can find it. He gave  a link to the manufacture but it's on YouTube too.

Oh here it is -

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM3s-S5Vu9k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM3s-S5Vu9k</a>

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
I watched the video and I have seen it before.I have also tried the plastic lids I posted about in the past.
They worked ok a few times I tried them.

I no longer use those...what I have learned,is when you are done final shaping your dough by hands holding it up,its never perfectly round when you first lay it down on a peel,screen or pan.Sometimes you get close,but its never perfect.

You have to lift,pull and/or tuck the dough to the Final circle size you want.Sometimes one side is a bit shorter,you pull the dough on that side to the edge you want it to rest at.

The pizza maker in the video does the same thing after he puts the dough onto the peel.Watch him lift and shape the dough edge onto the peel.His dough actually fell off one side of the peel a bit.What he does is minor,because he looks to be very experienced at it.He got the shape close enough not to need much work to shape on the peel.

Anytime I shape a dough and put it on a specific sized screen,or peel,it always requires me to lift/stretch/tuck here and there until its perfectly aligned with the shape of the screen.Sometimes the dough is a bit larger than the screen,I lift and guide it back onto the screen and adjust the other sides to compensate.If I stretched it too large,I cant make it shrink back,so I transfer to a larger screen or I cut off the rim and have a very thin pie with no rim.Still works out ok.

I do the same thing with my Large super peel...it has a cloth on it.I took screens and used a permanent marker and traced the circle of the screens onto the cloth. I have 2 different sizes on there now.When I shape a dough for a certain size,and lay it down on the super peel,I lift,tuck and pull on the dough where it needed,to match the circle I drew on there.

Works great.I use the trace to help me make a perfect circle after I lay the stretched dough on there.

I am not saying to NOT use the mold,it might help you achieve results better than just taking the dough out and doing it all by hand.With some practice,I am now able to take the dough out of the bowl,shape into a circle by hand on the counter,then lift and shape to 14,16 or 18,depends what size pizza I am making,then lay it down,and final lift and tuck to a circle size.

:)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 11:13:48 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:41:59 AM »
I guess the moral of the story is practice, practice and practice.  I do have a round carrying case for eggs that I use for this purpose but I only use it sometimes.  It's big, it's 12 inch diameter and I was thinking a smaller one is needed just to get the circle shape perfect then take it out and do a stretch and pull thing to get it bigger.  But you are right I have to work with it once it's made and kinda shape it back to a circle on the board and so forth.  Thing is I do a good circle sometimes and sometimes not and I don't like that inconsistency.   I haven't make pizza in a month or more and I have to start again.

Thanks for your input!