Author Topic: Jimmy's Pizza - FORMERly near Detroit - Anyone?  (Read 4743 times)

Offline BigDPizza

Jimmy's Pizza - FORMERly near Detroit - Anyone?
« on: December 16, 2008, 11:53:19 AM »
Hey Everyone,

Back in the 80's I lived in Roseville Michigan, and we used to order Pizza from "Jimmy's Pizza" My all time Favorite! !
They used to have two locations 24 mile and Romeo Plank, and 16 Mile and Ryan Road.  we've been back and apparantly they are long gone!

Well were on the pizza quest to make a similiar pie, anyone have any info at all? 

Thanks!
BigD

Offline bigbro.51

Re: Jimmy's Pizza - FORMERly near Detroit - Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Back in the 80's I lived in Roseville Michigan, and we used to order Pizza from "Jimmy's Pizza" My all time Favorite! !
They used to have two locations 24 mile and Romeo Plank, and 16 Mile and Ryan Road.  we've been back and apparantly they are long gone!

Well were on the pizza quest to make a similiar pie, anyone have any info at all? 

Thanks!
BigD

I used to live in Michigan and fondly remember the pizzas I ate there.  On the way to South McComb Community College right off 16 mile Rd., there was a bar and grill named Roosters that made the best pizzas I ever ate.  That was in the "80s". In the "90s" I visited and tried a Papa Mia's pizza and it was almost as good. I live in Alabama now and there are no pizzas here that taste right. When you get any answers to your quest, please, please, remember me.

Offline BigDPizza

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:40 AM »
Hey BigBro!

No problem, So far no real luck yet.  My brother even lived in commerce twp (Silverdome area) and he's got his feelers out as well.

I hear ya bout alabama, have relatives there, good folks and great hospitality - just different tastes....

BigD

Offline bigbro.51

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »
Hey BigBro!

No problem, So far no real luck yet.  My brother even lived in commerce twp (Silverdome area) and he's got his feelers out as well.

I hear ya bout alabama, have relatives there, good folks and great hospitality - just different tastes....

BigD

-----------------

Hey BigD,

When we had a Pizza Hut open up here, I bout upchucked one of theirs. Took it back to um and told um it had an off taste. Come to find out, they used a sour dough. I don't care much for sour dough bread let alone on an Italian style pizza - yuk! They ain't here no more, by the way.

We have a Dominos and a Little Caezars but they don't taste like what I used to buy from them up north. They must'uv changed their recipes since I moved here. I can't tell the difference between them either cept ones cheaper than the other. I gave up on um and started makin my own dough and sauce. Tastes a whole lot better than either of um, but still ain't got somethin that's in them sauces from Roosters and Papa Mias.

bigbro.51

-----------------

Offline 71tradewind

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
BigD,
   The last remaining Jimmy's Pizza ironically was the first Jimmy,s Pizza, that said the name Jimmy's is gone but the pizza remains and is moved about 1/2 mile down the road from its original location at 23 mile and Mound rd. it's now called Esplendido's, it's a sit-down Restaurant/Bar where they serve Mexican food and Pizza. Same Pizza different name. They also have carry out.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:37:13 PM by 71tradewind »

Offline bigbro.51

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 12:26:53 AM »
BigD,
   The last remaining Jimmy's Pizza ironically was the first Jimmy,s Pizza, that said the name Jimmy's is gone but the pizza remains and is moved about 1/2 mile down the road from its original location at 23 mile and Mound rd. it's now called Esplendido's, it's a sit-down Restaurant/Bar where they serve Mexican food and Pizza. Same Pizza different name. They also have carry out.

I lived at 44414 Mound Road on the corner of Poplar in a White house with a Garage in back, just a couple blocks from M59, which would be equiv to 19 mile Rd. I guess.  A lawyer bought it and turned it into an office. Haven't been back in over 15 years.  My family lived there till the 80's. Don't remember a Jimmy's Pizza. Must of been after I left, or I just never noticed it.

Have you tried gettin' in good with the owner - maybe he'd help you with your recipe.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:29:19 AM by bigbro.51 »

Offline 71tradewind

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:16:06 AM »
Hey bigbro.51
  There was a Jimmys at Van Dyke just south of 21 Mile on the east side of Van Dyke.There used to be another Pizzeria on Van Dyke south 21 mile on the west side of the road called La Mia's, this place was around since the early 60's and closed a few years back. La Mia's closure is what has driven me to learn how make my own pizza....... luved that Pizza! The family that owned it last lived in Imaly City Mi. I'm not certain if they opened a place in Imaly City or not all I know is I sure miss their Pizza.  BTW the area you lived in was the Pizza Mecca , I once counted more than 16 Pizza joints within 1 mile radius M-59/Van Dyke intersection.

Offline BigDPizza

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
You Guys are Awesome!  Thank you!  My brother told me there was a reply way cool!

Well it's vacation time and I'm headed for detroit on Monday on my pizza quest. 

Going to eat one of those original Jimmy's before I head further east to Pennsyvlvania for the elusive Pepperoni Ball served up at Patti's Pizza in Erie, Pa.

Thanks for theReplys guys.  The pizza making forum ROCKS!