Author Topic: Willie's Thick and Cheesy-Champaign  (Read 2916 times)

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
Willie's Thick and Cheesy-Champaign
« on: May 23, 2005, 10:01:16 AM »
I noticed that there are a lot of Champaign pizza fans on here. Does anyone have any recollection or recipes from Willie's Thick and Cheesy in Champaign? I remember it was on the West side of Champaign, and though they delivered on campus, it wasn't a "discount" pizza like Domino's, and may not have been huge with the students. I think they closed by 1990. The crust was thick, but light, and the sauce seemed very garlic-y, and of course, it was very cheesy with a good consistency.
Thanks to anyone that can help!

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Willie's Thick and Cheesy-Champaign
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 01:43:25 PM »
I remember Willie's "Slick and Greasy" VERY well...it was a great alternative to Papa Del's. They started out in the Illini Inn on 4th St where I used to get pizza from them when I lived at Bromley Hall my freshman year (79-80). They didn't deliver that I remember but picking up was always interesting because of the crowd at the Illini Inn and the fact that your pizza came down to the bar on a conveyer belt elevator thing from upstairs.

They later opened up a restaurant in Champaign between Campustown and downtown (maybe on Springfield or University).

Good stuff...VERY heavy on creamy melted mozz cheese.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 02:58:24 PM by RSMBob »

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:36:28 PM »
That must have been before my time (85-87), because I was at Bromley too, and Illini Inn definitely didn't have pizza.

Bill

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 12:08:09 AM »
Willie's on Springfield opened in the late '70s, was open until at least '88.  I'm not sure when Illini Inn stopped having pizza.  Somewhere I still have my Willie's mug club card.  He made a good pizza.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 12:47:55 AM »
I haven't been to C-U in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that Illini Inn shares the building at 4th and Daniel (???) with Bonnie Jean's pizza (it's above the Illini Inn where Willie's was).

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:16:14 PM »
I haven't been to C-U in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that Illini Inn shares the building at 4th and Daniel (???) with Bonnie Jean's pizza (it's above the Illini Inn where Willie's was).

thats the one! still have my mug club card somewhere, unfortunately its still under a wrong name, got it when i was 17.....i was at ole U of I from 90-94...and willie's wasnt there for a bit, but they started again i think when i was a junior late night slices, from upstairs.  people would wait to go up the stairs to the pizzaria and get their slices when the bar closed....it was very cheesy, very thick but fabulous. especially after 10 mugs of michelob, a buck's worth of pretzel rods.  some trivial pursuit at the bar, darts, or maybe some pinball, all in one of the tiniest but best crowd bar on campus.  great jukebox too, not a lot of frat guys...sorry but thats what i remember, that was the inn.