Author Topic: Is there a cash register that helps stop stealing?  (Read 4422 times)

Offline locoarts

Is there a cash register that helps stop stealing?
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:18:38 PM »
Hello,

Ok I had a question I thought of the cash register, but maybe you can give advice... OK I am going to start something on a shoestring. A take out place with 3 or 4 workers (2 of them are my brother & I the owners)

Here is the problem. My brother doesnt have a ton of experience, and we would be the cooks for the takeout.  So basically the front person, the cash register worker is going to not be a owner. They probably will be someone that is a friend. But who knows...

So you see the possible problem.

What is the best way to watch for people who "might" steal. Is there a cash register that helps with this..

See here is the thing, I owned a take out, 6 years ago. It was 3 or us, I ran the front and I can see the little tricks if you wanted to steal. Not ringing up something right off by $1, then it wont really show up as a mistake without everyday looking at every order's ticket.

Is there a easier/quick way to cover your butt? Is there a computer style cash register or something the big boys use.

Any tips?

Any ideas or products that help slow this down?

Any basically advice on how we should do this with a non-owner front person.

Thanks!

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Is there a cash register that helps stop stealing?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
POS system is probably the best bet. you can set it up so the cash drawer only opens when you ring up a sale and will track every thing.. when you ring something up and the sale price is going to be already in the computer , and will tell you how much money should be in the drawer at the end of the night.  If you place orders through the POS also, there is no way to "sell" a pizza and pocket the money because the system knows you sold X pizzas that night.  if there is money missing, it could still mean someone gave incorrect change and an honest mistake.

encouraging credit cards also help this. i dont think anyone wants to encourage CC use at 3% , but this day many people will use it, if it is an option.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:44:23 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:42:37 PM »
locoarts,

If you haven't already done so, you might want to register and pose your questions to the members (mostly pizza professionals) at the PMQ Think Tank forum at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6. The members there frequently confront the types of concerns you raise.

Peter

Offline locoarts

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
Thanks for the POS info, when I had my place last time it was some old fashion register we got used. It was only me so it didnt matter.. Im going to also try the think tank also! But thanks for the help :)

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »

The last couple place I had in the States, (not Pizza). I just started to round up the prices with the State taxes. And then either just eat the tax, or charge a bit more to an even number, depending on where I was at with cost. (Those pennies ad up quick over a year , so round up)

Looking on line at my local Domino's. 1 large pepperoni:

Food & Beverage:    $17.49
          Tax:     $1.29
          Delivery Charge:    $0.00
          Total:    $18.78

I will assume your product will be a bit better then Domino's?

So I would have no problem paying 19 or even 20.00$ for an superior pie. Tax included.

Customers will get trained that a 20$ bill = good Stuff.

I have never had a POS system that gave an accurate till count 100%  of the time. And the good ones can get quite pricey on a shoestring.

Hand written tickets and a calculator.

1 pie       20.00
2 l Coke     3.00
              ---------------

You save all the tickets in the back, add them up at the end of the night against what is in the till.

Even if you  round up to the next .25 cents. A till with dollar bills and quarters is a lot easier to deal with.

If you do a soda fountain, that would be the only way around it. Not charging friends for a fountain drink. If it's all bottle/cans you can also inventory that each night.

Just a thought....

Sorry, just saw this,

then it wont really show up as a mistake without everyday looking at every order's ticket.

Locoarts,

In my experience, with a small operation like this, I have to say, a daily ticket count is vital.

Sino
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 07:30:01 PM by SinoChef »

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
I'd also invest in a security camera system with a camera pointed right at the cash register recording everything.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
POS pizza is a fantastic POS system.

if your starting till is 87.50 ($10q $5d $2n $.50p) and you have $50 in bills to start the day.

your total sales for the day are $1000.  $500 credit card, $400 cash, $100 check.   your ending till amount will be $1087.50

your computer shows that you sold $1000.   your ending till winds up being $1047.50.

someone just pocketed $40.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline sailor01

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »
'Shrinkage' is inevitable in any retail enterprise and the big boys factor a percentage in to cover it.  A good POS and camera system will definitely help with theft, but the best plan (especially if you're on a tight budget) is to let your financials be your security system. You should know your food costs as a percentage of sales to within a couple of percentage points. Any major fluctuations could be indications of theft and require some employee changes.  Of course, you also have to account for fluctuations in ingredient prices, but staying on top of this also ensures that you are able to keep your products priced for profit.  Knowing your costs and setting your prices for profit based on those costs will ensure that you're not robbed blind, make you a better business person, and help you sleep at night!! :)
Good Luck
-Alan

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 08:26:57 PM »
There is no register made that can't be jacked with.  Use "dupes", i.e. duplicate order slips.  The order is written, one dupe goes to the kitchen, one goes to the till.  Any order without a written dupe is instant fired.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:28 PM »
carbon copy guest checks.   staples sells them.

also, most POS printers use carbon copy, if you have the availability of your roll format in carbon copy

Offline GotRocks

• Trying to get financing sucks!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
When I have someone but myself, or the GF working the register, I never ever let them know what the starting amount is in the register, all tickets get reconciled with the tape, and any no-sales must be marked with initials on the tape, and the reason. they also signed an agreement that if the register is short any amount whatsoever, it gets deducted directly from their paycheck.
The cooks were specifically instructed that absolutely no food ever leaves the kitchen without a corresponding ticket, and that all prices must be written on the ticket.

With all of this, I still had a real stupid beotch think she could steal from us without me knowing. Whenever she worked, the register always come up $20-30 short. I had the drawer counted out before we opened, and I counted the drawer after we closed. I left no fudge room.

There are all kinds of tricks pulled in liquor/beer sales that do not require tickets, but very little is available to the thief when it is only food sales.

You can also inventory package drinks, Their are very affordable POS apps available for the iPad, they also come with card processing equipment, did you think of that? If you count your dough balls, weigh your toppings after each shift, and keep a tight inventory, any theft should be caught immediately before it will hurt you.

If
A skinny cook is not to be trusted!

Offline canefame

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
If you don't want to upgrade to the POS system you can simply have the cashier keep a copy of every receipt and the cook is keeping all the tickets of food that goes out. Have the cashier count their till before they start work and then count their till when they leave. Having the cashier count their till then report to you will discourage stealing because the cashier feels responsible for keeping an accurate till. Tell the cashier that if there is a difference of over $20 then it comes out of their paycheck(include that in the contract). Those are a couple measures that will heavily discourage stealing.
I love making homemade pizza and finding good restaurants in Buckhead.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 09:06:50 PM »
If you don't want to upgrade to the POS system you can simply have the cashier keep a copy of every receipt and the cook is keeping all the tickets of food that goes out. Have the cashier count their till before they start work and then count their till when they leave. Having the cashier count their till then report to you will discourage stealing because the cashier feels responsible for keeping an accurate till. Tell the cashier that if there is a difference of over $20 then it comes out of their paycheck(include that in the contract). Those are a couple measures that will heavily discourage stealing.

the cashier counts their till in presence of an owner or manager, not by themselves. 

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »
And to make it easy, always use the same number of coins and bills.  The till should start exactly the same every time.

Offline petef

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 02:40:48 AM »
I'd also invest in a security camera system with a camera pointed right at the cash register recording everything.

Good idea! In fact, this could even be done on a shoestring budget using an old computer, a webcam, and Webcam ZoneTrigger software which can be set to only record (to the hard drive) when motion is detected in a particular zone of the picture. Figure old PC $100, Webcam $50, Software $50 = $200 solution.

You set it and forget it. If you ever have a problem and you know the date and approximate time of the problem, you can easily find the corresponding video as each triggered event is a separate video file with the date & time in the file name.

---pete---

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
 my two cents. use cameras above your registers,and all entrances. let every employee know they are there and record 24/7. with that knowledge you should be able to police those areas. in the order taking department, there are order sheets that have multiple orders on each sheet with every sheet numbered .you can account for every order taken. these sheets were developed for the delivery chains and are a great way to monitor your orders.with a larger operation a p.o.s. would be ideal,but if you are small the above should keep every one honest.
 i started using a p.o.s in January after 27 years in business the only people in my restaurant having a hard time with it are employees over 35 year of age. my managers went from two hours a night closing out the books to 20 minutes. unless there are a lot of mistakes, then it becomes a problem that takes many hours to correct.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »
Here you go...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline mente

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
POS system is probably the best bet. you can set it up so the cash drawer only opens when you ring up a sale and will track every thing.. when you ring something up and the sale price is going to be already in the computer , and will tell you how much money should be in the drawer at the end of the night.  If you place orders through the POS also, there is no way to "sell" a pizza and pocket the money because the system knows you sold X pizzas that night.  if there is money missing, it could still mean someone gave incorrect change and an honest mistake.

encouraging credit cards also help this. i dont think anyone wants to encourage CC use at 3% , but this day many people will use it, if it is an option.

Offline mente

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:12:37 PM »

[/quote]

can anyone help me out about Credit Card charges. we all hate them (because of the fees) yet we need to offer them, so with that said. What percent of everyones total sales are Credit card purchases (meaning no debit cards)?

thanks for the input.

John