Author Topic: This afternoon's bake  (Read 12395 times)

Offline Matthew

This afternoon's bake
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »
I beat the clouds.   :D
The last picture is my favorite way to eat Neapolitan pizza; "Al Libretto"

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: This afternoon's bake
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »
Beautiful work Matt.  Looks like you don't have any problems with the top of the rim browning.   ;)  Is this your typical long room temp fermented dough?   How long do you typically bake the pies for? 

Chau

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
Glad to see she's up, running and on fire again!  ;D

Excellent pizze, Bro.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Matthew

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »
Beautiful work Matt.  Looks like you don't have any problems with the top of the rim browning.   ;)  Is this your typical long room temp fermented dough?   How long do you typically bake the pies for? 

Chau

Thanks Chau. Yes, this was a 30 hour room temp dough.  They went for about a minute; load, wait a few seconds, spin, wait a few seconds, spin, wait a few seconds; out.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:31 PM »
Glad to see she's up, running and on fire again!  ;D

Excellent pizze, Bro.

Ya, feels good.  Thanks bro!

PS: Okay......I won't say it.  They did alot better than the Leafs.  The good news is that now that Boston is in the finals Kaberle will likely sign & the Leafs will get Boston's 1st & 2nd round picks.  God knows they need all the pics they can get.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
Sweet !! Pies look wonderful!! What, No pics of those new GI Tools (birthday gift) in action?
Whats our hydration? you use a starter right ? and cake yeast ? Matter of fact give up the whole recipe on the beauties, please...!! Bakin tomorrow here in Jersey  >:D land oh and I am going now to take the dough out of the fridge ! so it will be a 8hrs fridge 24 hr room
Thanks Bud!
John
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:19:11 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:33:28 AM »
Sweet !! Pies look wonderful!! What, No pics of those new GI Tools (birthday gift) in action?
Whats our hydration? you use a starter right ? and cake yeast ? Matter of fact give up the whole recipe on the beauties, please...!! Bakin tomorrow here in Jersey  >:D land oh and I am going now to take the dough out of the fridge ! so it will be a 8hrs fridge 24 hr room
Thanks Bud!
John

Hey Johnny,
I'm loving the new tools; huge difference, thanks again!
I use Marco's formula & modify it according to the season; the maximum amount of starter that I use is 5% of water weight (no commercial yeast). I use water as my constant & begin with 1650g of flour & if necessary add until get the right consistency.  The hydration is somewhere between 58-60%.  I mix for around 10 minutes in the spiral & then bulk ferment.  

I've been working with a variation of Marco's formula for some time now & finally figured out what Marco meant buy his reference that "pizza is not bread".  What blows me away most about this dough is how it does not increase in volume at all during fermentation in comparison to bread which more than doubles.  The final dough is so full of flavor & a dream to work with.

Last week I wanted to satisfy my curiosity & used the same formula with 100% Caputo Red & again Marco's right; it's completely different.

Matt  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:34:59 AM by Matthew »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 07:24:41 AM »
Neapolitan pizza season is finally here, you oven is up and running. the pizzas look great. is your oven a high dome oven? if so do you have to raise your pizza to finish it?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »
Neapolitan pizza season is finally here, you oven is up and running. the pizzas look great. is your oven a high dome oven? if so do you have to raise your pizza to finish it?

Hi Larry,
It most certainly is! Thanks.  Yes, if I'm not mistaken it's about 21" in height.  As you can see from the first picture, I use a fireplace grate for my baking fire which works really well.  I always dome my pizze for a quick second, to me it adds that extra something.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 08:08:57 AM by Matthew »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »
Thanks Matthew,
I am running in the area of 65% and seems a bit wet maybe I should kick it back ? using like 02% IDY and it takes abput 20 hours but yes It has doubled I will ball and fridge now until around 1 pm then room til the 6 pm party. Hoping for the best? and yes the tools are great I espacially love the 9" perforated turning peel with the 59" handle May use the new oven today  ;D
did I say New oven?

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
WOW Matt, all of them look GREAT!! the coloration looks perfect!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Matthew

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 09:07:04 AM »
WOW Matt, all of them look GREAT!! the coloration looks perfect!!

Thanks Andre! It ended up working out well.  I wanted to beat the rain, so I got the oven to temp in just over an hour.

Matt

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:25:37 AM »
Pizza Season returns, man those look good!  when you fire your oven do you spread the wood around the whole floor or do you always keep the fire on the grate? 
bill

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:51 AM »
Pizza Season returns, man those look good!  when you fire your oven do you spread the wood around the whole floor or do you always keep the fire on the grate? 
bill

Thanks Bill. I only use the grate for the baking fire.

Matt

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 01:27:42 PM »
Absolutely beautiful pies.

I love the melding of the neapolitan charring with the more new york cornicione proportions.

Would you describe the texture of your masterpieces?  judging from the "book" treatment on the last pie I would expect that they are on the soft (ie not crispy) classical neapolitan end of the spectrum.

Your pizza inspires.  Keep up the great work.

Alexi

Offline Matthew

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
Alexi,
Thanks very much for the kind words. Texture wise, your bang on; very soft & pliable.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:44 PM »
Ya, feels good.  Thanks bro!

PS: Okay......I won't say it.  They did alot better than the Leafs.  The good news is that now that Boston is in the finals Kaberle will likely sign & the Leafs will get Boston's 1st & 2nd round picks.  God knows they need all the pics they can get.

Matt

Just say it, Bro!  ;D

Sharks still didn't go where they wanted to go. Vancouver was the better team. Not to make excuses but if you have four core players (Thornton, Boyle, Clowe & Heatley), among others, playing with dislocated shoulders, a cut-off tip of the pinky, a damaged left MCL and a broken left hand, they wouldn't have won the cup anyway against Boston's big D-men.

Leafs...I said it before and I'll say it again...they'll be a team to watch out for in the next couple of years. Burke knows what he's doing during the restructuring and Wilson, imho, is a good coach albeit his tendency to call out players.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »
I've been working with a variation of Marco's formula for some time now & finally figured out what Marco meant buy his reference that "pizza is not bread".  What blows me away most about this dough is how it does not increase in volume at all during fermentation in comparison to bread which more than doubles.  

Stunningly good looking pies. Real blockbusters!

I'd love to hear you expand more on the two sentences above.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:41 PM »
Wow,those look so damn tasty! Love the pies!
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Matthew

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
Stunningly good looking pies. Real blockbusters!

I'd love to hear you expand more on the two sentences above.

CL

Thank you Craig.  The statements are mainly relative to the amount of starter used specific to Neapolitan pizza.  It's a little difficult to explain the how's & why's but since I have progressively decreased the amount of starter used over the years from 5% of total weight to the very low amounts I'm using now & direct vs indirect mixing methods etc, the end product has been totally different.  I can finally say that this is the product that I have been striving for all along.  Now the hard part; consistency.

Matt