Author Topic: Freezing NP pies  (Read 1619 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Freezing NP pies
« on: June 14, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »
I need to freeze a bunch of pies for a family member. If anyone has experience doing so, did you let the pie come down to room temp before freezing, or try and blast it a few minutes out of the oven? Do you have a preferred storage method? Thanks.

John

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Freezing NP pies
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Have not done this myself but this place does it:  http://www.pizzeriapicco.com/ 

You might call or email and see if they'll give you some tips, they're a small local place and pretty friendly.

Online Matthew

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
I need to freeze a bunch of pies for a family member. If anyone has experience doing so, did you let the pie come down to room temp before freezing, or try and blast it a few minutes out of the oven? Do you have a preferred storage method? Thanks.

John

Let it cool to room temperature, wax paper on top & bottom if layering & place in extra large ziploc freezer bag.

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
I have been thinking about this recently also.  Any ever try to seal via a vacuum system?  I have been looking around but haven't been able to find a home vacuum system that would fit pizza. 

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:51:26 PM »
Matthew,  +1 works perfectly.  -Marc

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
Thanks everyone!

John

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 08:24:26 PM »
Girlfriends out of town so that means solo pizza party/experimentation, but I cant eat 4 pizzas in 1 or even 2 days so Im going to freeze two, following the ziplock bag method, but what would be the best way to reheat the pizza? should I let it thaw to room temp before any cooking method?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
I allways end up with 2-4 full pies left over. I let them come to room temp. 1/4 them wax paper between layers and do 1/2  pie =2 -full 1/4s in aluminum foil perfect snack or lunch size Use withing 2-3 weeks of freezing works fine . Take em out thaw iut in fridge to avoid any danger zone. and into the toaster oven fresh as the mornin sun !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:25:31 PM »
These instructions are awesome, Thanks you but I dont have a toaster oven...I have a normal oven with a broiler.  I also left the pies whole as to avoid drying out the crumb...Is this okay? I guess after thawing in the fridge I could just reheat as I would any other slice in my oven right? The only thing is I usually set it to 410/415 and let it preheat for a bit(not all the way then throw the slice in for 5-10min. Is there any way of speeding it up? I can cook the darn pizzas, but reheating thats the science.
Thanks
d

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
WuCact,
Have you tried the teflon pan method ? I am amaez how well that works on certain style of Pizza leftovers! Put pan on Med. Slices at room temp place it in and whala! nice hot slice no cheese dripping all over toster ovenr florr and slightlyt crisp to boot. OPtion 2 is start in in the toaster Ovent the just finish it off in the frying pan/griddle
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:40:17 PM »
cactus,  what we do is throw the regular home oven on to 450,  no stone so it heats up fast(summer).  From frozen,  right on the oven grates.  about 5 minutes,  remove and put on a pizza pan.  This seems to help excessive drying out of the bottom.  The high heat and from frozen seems to keep the crumb moist.  Pull them out when you see a good bit of the cheese starting to bubble.  We have been busy lately,  and there is nothing better than a great natural pizza in about 20 minutes after walking through the door. -Marc
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 11:57:36 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
The freezer to oven rack sounds like the best solution for me...Its like having red baron, but not!
As for the skillet method, I have done this before for slices and it works great.  I especially use this method if we end up getting pizza out and have left overs.  I can take it home, reheat, and add more char...its awesome!
Im going to be reheating Half a pizza tomorrow for lunch, so Ill let you guys know how it turns out for me, if this freezer method works out great it will change things!  Ill be able to cook pizza once a week, but have it multiple days! And the extended life is great too!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 05:57:55 PM »
i just had a nice pizza snack!  frozen half a pie from the other night straight into the toaster oven at 300 - it was great!
thanks for bringing this up John and everyone else for tips, i wouldn't have thought of that in a hundred years. 
bill

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
IT WAS ACTUALLY GOOD!
I just had a nearlyneapolitan pizza i made a few weeks ago and froze...preheat oven to 450 w/o stone, pop the pie in for 5min...No dryness in the crumb or anywhere, it was awesome.  Now twice the pie and half the mess from now on in my kitchen.  Time to stock up on freezer bags.  i would upload pics of the crumb and such, but i am suffering from technical difficulties and troubles.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 03:25:20 PM »
Are you freezing completed (topped) pies or just the crust?

We put baked, un-topped crusts, after cooling, into freezer bags and pop them into the freezer. Take them out to thaw, then top them and heat 'em in the oven at 450*. Slick, quick dinner.