Author Topic: This afternoon's bake  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Matthew

Re: This afternoon's bake
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
WOW Matt!! that RIPIENO looks Great!! did you use ricotta for the filling?? and the mozzarella on top of the ripieno also looks delicious!

Thanks Andre. Yes, ricotta & sopressata.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2011, 06:36:26 AM »
Matt - It looks as if your dough balls are not rolled super tight. Have you ever noticed if rolling them taught has an effect on the final product? I have been making very tight balls lately, and have thought about relaxing them a little (as you have pictured).

John

John,
I just watched the video of Da Michele again because I remember that this was discussed.  According to the video, the panetti should not be formed tightly.  The tighter you form the panetti, the tougher the dough will become.  The fundamental of Neapolitan pizza is that it should remain soft.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:38:56 AM by Matthew »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
John,
I just watched the video of Da Michele again because I remember that this was discussed.  According to the video, the panetti should not be formed tightly.  The tighter you form the panetti, the tougher the dough will become.  The fundamental of Neapolitan pizza is that it should remain soft.

Matt

Matt, I have heard varying thoughts on this, including some pie makers that claim they form some of the panetti more tightly than the others, with the more tightly formed panetti being done first. As such, these initial tightly formed panetti would be among the last dough balls to be used during the day's service, with the thought that the tighter forming would allow these paticular dough balls to not become overly extensible during the longer time that these panetti are proofing at room temperature awaiting final use towards the end of service.

Of course others don't attempt such a thing because they may make more than one batch of panetti per day.

Lots of ways to skin a cat I guess. Thanks for the look-back at how DaMichele is doing things.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:18 AM »
John,

Matt

Thanks Matt, I could not remember where I had heard the initial concept that sparked my questioning. I have noticed that hydrations in the 61% range have been a little more difficult to open. In my workflow, I ball about 6-8 hours before bake, so it makes sense from your comments and Kelly's post that I might let up on the tight rolling. Do you do the pinch?

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
Do you do the pinch?

John

No but will try.

Matt

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »
Matt,

This article, http://www.woodstone-corp.com/cooking_naples_style_dough.htm, has been cited several times before but it shows how Enzo Coccia forms what appear to be tight dough balls pinched (but not twisted) from the "sausage" piece of dough. You can enlarge the photos by clicking on them. FYI, the recipe in the article calls for the Caputo Russo 00 flour (see Image 4d).

Peter
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:29:08 PM by Pete-zza »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
I forgot to mention that there are Parts II and III to the article I cited. Part II shows how to open up dough balls and Part II relates to the bake.

Peter

Offline Matthew

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
Matt,

This article, http://www.woodstone-corp.com/cooking_naples_style_dough.htm, has been cited several times before but it shows how Enzo Coccia forms what appear to be tight dough balls pinched (but not twisted) from the "sausage" piece of dough. You can enlarge the photos by clicking on them. FYI, the recipe in the article calls for the Caputo Russo 00 flour (see Image 4d).

Peter

Thanks Peter.  I saw this a while ago & remember reading it.  I personally don't think that it makes a difference either way & think it's just preference.  What I have found though is that forming the panelli  too tight will cause them to rip.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
A bit of a departure from my usual this afternoon.  I went with a lower temp in an effort to hone my turning skills.  The idea was a longer bake allowing me to continuously spin the pizza until it was done.  The dough was perfect, the pizza was nice & soft with a very slight crunch.  I also reduced the size of the panetti to 250g from my usual 280.

I also wanted to mention that last week I had the opportunity to get up close & personal with a SF oven.  Two things that I did not know; the plate holders on either side are heat conducting stones that act as a plate warmers & the outside of the oven is so hot that you can't touch it.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 07:35:31 PM by Matthew »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »
Matt,

Your pizzas look amazing!  :) They almost look like Neo-Neapolitan.  Is that what they tasted like to you?  Great to hear you had the opportunity to get and personal with a SF oven.  ;D  I bet that was a nice experience.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2011, 11:01:32 PM »
I also wanted to mention that last week I had the opportunity to get up close & personal with a SF oven.  Two things that I did not know; the plate holders on either side are heat conducting stones that act as a plate warmers & the outside of the oven is so hot that you can't touch it.

Beautiful pies Matt! That's interesting and surprising about the SF outside temp. Mine has a couple spots that get warm, but most of the oven exterior is little warmer than room temp (or garage temp as the case may be...)

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline pennygirl

« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2011, 11:27:37 PM »
Big fan of your pies.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2011, 06:27:44 AM »
Matt,

Your pizzas look amazing!  :) They almost look like Neo-Neapolitan.  Is that what they tasted like to you?  Great to hear you had the opportunity to get and personal with a SF oven.  ;D  I bet that was a nice experience.

Norma

Thanks Norma.   They tasted like my typical Neapolitan pizza but not as wet.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2011, 06:27:58 AM »
Big fan of your pies.

Thank you.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2011, 06:33:33 AM »
Beautiful pies Matt! That's interesting and surprising about the SF outside temp. Mine has a couple spots that get warm, but most of the oven exterior is little warmer than room temp (or garage temp as the case may be...)

CL

Thanks Craig.  The oven is running at 900 degrees for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week and never cools down.  The lowest the temp drops to is 650 degrees (the next morning).

Matt

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
Thanks Craig.  The oven is running at 900 degrees for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week and never cools down.  The lowest the temp drops to is 650 degrees (the next morning).

Matt

I see. No insulation is going to stop that heat.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
You must have baked all three of those at the same time. No way people could keep their hands off pies that look that good.

I'll be over on the other side of Ontario (a couple hours west of Thunder Bay) doing battle with the smallies and pike in a couple weeks. I've been hearing it's supposed to be warmer than the past couple years. Any chance of seeing upper 80's?

CL

Offline Matthew

« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »
You must have baked all three of those at the same time. No way people could keep their hands off pies that look that good.

I'll be over on the other side of Ontario (a couple hours west of Thunder Bay) doing battle with the smallies and pike in a couple weeks. I've been hearing it's supposed to be warmer than the past couple years. Any chance of seeing upper 80's?

CL

I actually made those a couple of hours before to bring to my parent's house for father's day.  Thunder Bay is about 1400 kms away from Toronto; no idea on the weather.  I would guess that the temperature would be at least 10 degrees C cooler than Toronto.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »
Some pics from yesterday afternoon.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »

pizzapan