Author Topic: This afternoon's bake  (Read 12928 times)

Offline malvanova

Re: This afternoon's bake
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2011, 10:41:32 PM »
Hi Phil,
Very strange.  I use Nodini & Trecce all the time in Pizza in Teglia & it melts beautifully. I pull it apart & let it dry out in the fridge the night before I use it.

Matt

never used trecce before but the nodini here are in water when you buy them I guess for softness?? as  you say break them up and dry it out sounds logical thats a good solution to the water content in them, but the price is outrageous $7 a pound,, NOTTTT , I'll buy the curds at $2 LB invest 1 hr. and make 5 LB. it is simple to make.

Phil

Offline malvanova

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
Hi Phil,
Very strange.  I use Nodini & Trecce all the time in Pizza in Teglia & it melts beautifully. I pull it apart & let it dry out in the fridge the night before I use it.

Matt
never used trecce before but the nodini here are in water when you buy them I guess for softness?? as  you say break them up and dry it out sounds logical thats a good solution to the water content in them, but the price is outrageous $7 a pound,, NOTTTT , I'll buy the curds at $2 LB invest 1 hr. and make 5 LB. it is simple to make.

Phil

Offline malvanova

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2011, 10:50:21 PM »
Hi Norma when you say room temp. what would that temp. be???

Phil

made a bubu, how do I remove double posts??
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:52:15 PM by malvanova »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »
Phil ,
Iknow a pizzeria using te Pollly O gold Its good stuff for sure! Hold up to the heat as well. no puddling
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
Hi Norma when you say room temp. what would that temp. be???

Phil

Phil,

It was cooler in our area yesterday and today.  My ambient room temperatures were between 55 degrees to 72 degrees F.  The dough sat outside at Steve’s home for about 2 ˝ hrs. at about 74 degrees F. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
Norma,

That is a really beautiful looking pie.  what hydration and  temp?

AZ

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2011, 11:59:17 PM »
Anything for you bud! 

Really???   :o

I'll be there in a week to pick up the WFO, the mixer and the indoor Sage oven. Just get everything ready for transport, please. Crates will do just fine.

Thanks, my man!  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
Norma,

That is a really beautiful looking pie.  what hydration and  temp?

AZ

Alexi,

Thanks!  :)  I will post the formula and what temperature the pie was baked at on other thread I started. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14122.0.html

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2011, 03:49:24 AM »

Really???   :o

I'll be there in a week to pick up the WFO, the mixer and the indoor Sage oven. Just get everything ready for transport, please. Crates will do just fine.

Thanks, my man!  ;D

Well.....Almost anything ;D
 ;)

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2011, 03:53:42 AM »
Matt,

I want to thank you for starting this thread.  :)  I used the Ischia starter by 5% of the weight of the water and fermented the dough at room temperature for 26 hrs. and got really good results.

Pictures below

Norma

Nice job Norma.  FWIW, I used 100% Caputo Red a couple of weeks ago & prefer Pizzeria hands down.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:27:36 AM by Matthew »

Offline Matthew

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2011, 04:03:49 AM »
never used trecce before but the nodini here are in water when you buy them I guess for softness?? as  you say break them up and dry it out sounds logical thats a good solution to the water content in them, but the price is outrageous $7 a pound,, NOTTTT , I'll buy the curds at $2 LB invest 1 hr. and make 5 LB. it is simple to make.

Phil

Yes, the Nodini are also packed in water.  $7/lb is nuts, they should be the same price as fresh mozzarella.  Speaking of Nuts, the place that I buy my cheese from also makes Buffalo Mozzarella.  Yesterday was the most expensive I have ever seen it @ $13.99 for 200g.  They also make excellent Stracchino & fantastic burrata.  I have used burrata on pizza but not stracchino.  I know that stracchino is used in Focaccia di Recca but have never seen it used in Neapolitan Pizza.

Matt

Offline Matthew

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2011, 06:43:14 AM »
Finished Dough 6:30 am.  (10 minute mix, 20 minute risposo, 1 rigenero)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
Nice job Norma.  FWIW, I used 100% Caputo Red a couple of weeks ago & prefer Pizzeria hands done.

Matt

Matt,

Thanks!  :)  I didn't notice a difference in the taste of the crust using either flour.  Could you explain to me why your preferred the Pizzeria flour hands down?

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2011, 08:49:37 AM »
Matt,

Thanks!  :)  I didn't notice a difference in the taste of the crust using either flour.  Could you explain to me why your preferred the Pizzeria flour hands down?

Norma

Yes, taste is the exact same. I was referring to the handling.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »
Yes, taste is the exact same. I was referring to the handling.

Matt,

Thanks for explaining what you meant.  I have wondered about the Caputo Rinforzato flour since I bought it from Fred.  He said the Caputo Rinforzato flour is a higher gluten flour, than the Pizzeria flour.  Do you or anyone know if it really is?  I couldn't notice any difference in how the the doughs felt using either flour.  They both seemed to feel the same to me.  Maybe I am not experienced enough to notice the difference.

Norma

Offline Matthew

« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
Matt,

Thanks for explaining what you meant.  I have wondered about the Caputo Rinforzato flour since I bought it from Fred.  He said the Caputo Rinforzato flour is a higher gluten flour, than the Pizzeria flour.  Do you or anyone know if it really is?  I couldn't notice any difference in how the the doughs felt using either flour.  They both seemed to feel the same to me.  Maybe I am not experienced enough to notice the difference.

Norma

Yes it is higher gluten & it's mainly for extended refrigerated fermentation.  I was told that the Caputo pizzeria destined for North America is higher gluten than the Italian one.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #96 on: June 04, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Matt - I am late to this thread, but those pies are incredible. What is the diameter of your oven?

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: June 04, 2011, 09:51:36 AM »
Norma,

What Matt says is correct. You can see the specs for the Caputo Rinforzato at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2951.msg25328/topicseen.html#msg25328. If you do a forum search, using the terms Caputo Red and rosso, as well as rinforzarto, you will find several posts, of which this one is typical: Reply 3 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4155.msg34798/topicseen.html#msg34798.

Peter

foolishpoolish

« Reply #98 on: June 04, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »
Jason Feirman of "I Dream Of Pizza" (blog) visited the Caputo mill earlier this year.
He has a blog post covering his visit: http://www.idreamofpizza.com/2011/03/pizza-adventures-in-italy-part-4-caputo.html

Here's what he noted about the "red bags" vs the "blue bags" and the history that resulted in the higher protein blend now known as "Rinforzato":

It should be noted that when Caputo was founded, they only made one blend of flour with local grains (in a red bag). But when the Marshall Plan was implemented following World War II, they began to import grain from the United States which was higher in protein. Currently, most of the grain they import from the United States is from North Dakota and Minnesota -- close to the Canadian border. The pizza blend -- which can be found in Caputo's blue bags -- actually has a little less protein in it than the standard blend. When the pizza blend became available, some pizzerias switched over. Others, stayed loyal to the red bags. And some mixed the two together. It's clear that sales and marketing are strong forces behind the development of these customized blends. Whether or not you use a blend that's best suited for your needs, you can be sure you'll be using high quality flour if it has the Caputo label on it.

@Andreguidon (if you read this)
Also in the same article was mention of a new blend being developed for export to Brazil
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 09:59:09 AM by foolishpoolish »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: June 04, 2011, 10:12:13 AM »
Matt, Peter and foolishpooish,

Thanks for answering my question about the Caputo Rinforzato flour.   :)

Norma

pizzapan