Author Topic: This afternoon's bake  (Read 12138 times)

Online Matthew

Re: This afternoon's bake
« Reply #100 on: June 04, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
Matt - I am late to this thread, but those pies are incredible. What is the diameter of your oven?

John

Thanks John.  It's 110 cm.

Matt

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
Jason Feirman of "I Dream Of Pizza" (blog) visited the Caputo mill earlier this year.
He has a blog post covering his visit: http://www.idreamofpizza.com/2011/03/pizza-adventures-in-italy-part-4-caputo.html

Here's what he noted about the "red bags" vs the "blue bags" and the history that resulted in the higher protein blend now known as "Rinforzato":

@Andreguidon (if you read this)
Also in the same article was mention of a new blend being developed for export to Brazil

thanks for the INFO. all brazilian flours have folic acid and iron, but caputo is a imported flour, and for the time we are using the same as used in Italy.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Online Matthew

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2011, 06:32:02 AM »
After 24 hours.  As you can see, the dough is very sticky & has the appearance of a very wet dough.

Matt
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:37:13 AM by Matthew »

Online Matthew

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2011, 08:04:41 AM »
Fior di latte

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Do you know if the cheese is pressed lightly, or is it just the pressure of the vacuum sealing that knits the curds together?
-Jeff

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »
After 24 hours.  As you can see, the dough is very sticky & has the appearance of a very wet dough.

Matt

Matt - It looks as if your dough balls are not rolled super tight. Have you ever noticed if rolling them taught has an effect on the final product? I have been making very tight balls lately, and have thought about relaxing them a little (as you have pictured).

John

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 05:34:55 PM »
I thought i'd try a lower starter content dough to compare to the dough i normally make.  I used 2.6% of water Ischia starter in very well fed state. 65% hydration, 100% Caputo pizzeria.  i let it ferment for 36 hours at 64deg. F. to see what would happen.  for the first 24 hours it barely grew at all, then it grew quite a bit. I didn't really expect that?  Anyway, i made balls and put those back at 64 for about 8 hours.  i'll try cooking those tonight in WFO. the dough felt really wet when i balled it up.  I have my normal version of TXCraig's UPN formula dough to compare it too.  We'll see what happens. 

Online Matthew

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 06:01:29 PM »
Matt - It looks as if your dough balls are not rolled super tight. Have you ever noticed if rolling them taught has an effect on the final product? I have been making very tight balls lately, and have thought about relaxing them a little (as you have pictured).

John

John,
I have always done them the same way.  My guess is that it doesn't make a difference.  They are alot tighter than they appear.  This is how they looked after about 6 hours.

Matt

Online Matthew

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
Here's a ripieno from this afternoon.  I had some issues to contend with today;  extremely hot weather & extremely hot oven; 1050 deg floor. The virgin fior di latte was incredible, it really melts beautifully, & does not release any water at all.

Matt

Online Matthew

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Do you know if the cheese is pressed lightly, or is it just the pressure of the vacuum sealing that knits the curds together?

I'm not sure.  My guess is that it's the pressure from the vacuum sealing.

Matt

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 06:18:49 PM »
Matthew, can you clarify something for me.  The virgin fior di latte.  Is that curd that you bought or is it stretched cheese?  I thought you were suppose to heat the curd up and stretch it into cheese first before using.  Is this product ready to use as cheese or do you have to make cheese out of it first?

That pie looks to die for.  Matt, the most beautiful pie I have seen you post!!  Dammm!!

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:30:49 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
First of all, pie looks delicious. Height of cornicione and color of bake look spot on.  :)

The cheese is definitely flecking brown spots during the bake. I know your oven was running hotter than normal today....interesting to see if the cheese stays whiter at a lower bake temp.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Online Matthew

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »
Matthew, can you clarify something for me.  The virgin fior di latte.  Is that curd that you bought or is it stretched cheese?  I thought you were suppose to heat the curd up and stretch it into cheese first before using.  Is this product ready to use as cheese or do you have to make cheese out of it first?

That pie looks to die for.

Thanks

Thanks Chau.  It is not curd, it is not heated & it is not stretched.  It is a proprietary blend made specifically for Neapolitan Pizzerias.  They ship this product all over North America.  Yes it is ready to use.

Matt

Online Matthew

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
First of all, pie looks delicious. Height of cornicione and color of bake look spot on.  :)

The cheese is definitely flecking brown spots during the bake. I know your oven was running hotter than normal today....interesting to see if the cheese stays whiter at a lower bake temp.

Thanks K,
The answer to your question is yes.  The flecking happened after it was domed.  I kinda like it.

Matt

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »

John

John I know you aren't asking me but I just did this experiment for myself with this morning's bake.  When I made my oven pies this morning, I made a 2 ball batch.  a 32 h ferment with 0.02% CY.  After 24 hr at 70F, the dough rose about 50%.  The dough was really soft and aerated.  I balled one gently as I usually do and the other one I balled roughly trying to degass the dough in the process.  I wasn't able to degass i but it was a bit smaller than the other.  Anyways, the one I balled tightly handle and opened up nicer than the other and had a different look post bake.  

Pictures are here.  Reply #171.  first pie balled tightly.  Crust looks better IMO.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11654.msg141781.html#msg141781

Online Matthew

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »
Pizza Nutella e banana.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Matt that looks good, you folded that right?

Thanks Chau.  It is not curd, it is not heated & it is not stretched.  It is a proprietary blend made specifically for Neapolitan Pizzerias.  They ship this product all over North America.  Yes it is ready to use.

Matt

Do you know the company name or where they sell it in the US?

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2011, 07:19:16 PM »
WOW Matt!! that RIPIENO looks Great!! did you use ricotta for the filling?? and the mozzarella on top of the ripieno also looks delicious!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2011, 07:24:41 PM »
Pizza Nutella e banana.

And you say I'm out of control?

Online Matthew

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2011, 06:06:41 AM »
Matt that looks good, you folded that right?

Do you know the company name or where they sell it in the US?

Thanks David, yes it's folded.  They don't distribute to stores, only to restaurants.  I know that they ship a tonne of it to Disney weekly.  When I was there on Friday, Bill (the owner) wasn't there.  Next time I go if he's there I'll ask him.

Matt