Author Topic: Best pizza in NYC and Boston  (Read 3027 times)

Offline danielswfc

• I Love Pizza!
Best pizza in NYC and Boston
« on: May 24, 2005, 09:40:18 AM »
Hi,

I'm coming to America next month from the UK and i was wondering if you guys could tell me the essential places to check out.

Also some of my friends are vegan, i was wondering if you knew of any places that served good vegan pizza.

thanks a lot.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Best pizza in NYC and Boston
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:43:44 PM »
You are going to have so much fun on your trip.  The pizza in New York is much better than the pizza in Boston in general.  Boston is more well known for it's fine dining.  Let me know if you are willing to spend $50 a person for dinner, and I can point you to a bunch of really amazing restaurants.  As far as pizza goes we have a place that just opened up that is much better than everything else.  It is called PICCO, that stands for pizza and ice cream company.  It is on Tremont st. in the south end of Boston near some of the better restaurants.  If you are staying in Copley Square or the Back Bay area you can walk there.  Boston is a tiny city, so it will be really easy to get around. 
If you are staying in the Fanuel Hall area you can walk to the North End (little Italy) for my second favorite pizzeria called Pizzeria Regina.  I just found out that a supposedly amazing Italian restaurant (I haven't been there yet) that is also in the north end is using my favorite brand of flour (caputo).  The catch with this place is that the pizza is only served in the bar from 11pm-2pm.  It is called Bricco.

I will let others comment more on the New York pizza scene, but I think the best places are not in Manhattan, but in Brooklyn.  In Manhattan you will find a pizzeria on every corner, and they are all pretty amazing, and mostly all better than what we have in Boston.  My absolute favorite (although I am in the minority here) is Grimaldi's.  This place is right at the end of the Brooklyn bridge, and you can walk across the bridge from Manhattan.  It is well worth the walk in my opinion.  If you want to stay in the city of Manhattan try Lombardi's.  It is the first pizzeria in America, ans still one of the best.  It is also located in a fun part of town with really cool shops etc.  Both of these places make a hybrid Neapolitan/American pizza, but if you want to try authentic Neapolitan pizza like they have in Naples there are some choices.  I will let others chime in about these places.

Offline danielswfc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 02:29:22 PM »
thanks a lot -

yeh if you could tell me more about the $50 places

if you had links or anything that would be great.

cheers

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:23:52 PM »
Santarpio's Pizza in East Boston.

Good pizza. Be warned, long lines on weekend evening. They are open for lunch and a 5min subway ride from downtown boston.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=409

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:28:30 PM »
where are you staying?  they are really all over the city, and in cambridge.  I am sure I can come up with a bunch of great restaurants that are walking distance, or a quick cab ride from your hotel.  Also let me know what types of food you are into other than pizza.  If you want to post me with a personal message we can keep from clogging up the website with non pizza related stuff.  Also, I almost forgot, they have a killer thin and crispy pizza at bar 10.  It is a hotel restaurant in Copley square, and you should try it if you are in the area.  It is totally different than anything I have had before, and quite amazing.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 07:18:43 PM »
Apart from all the well documented places on here that you go to for a whole pizza,I would say that you must grab a Slice at Joe's on the corner of Bleeker St and Sixth Ave.I think it is one of the best (if not the best) slices in Manhattan.I have heard that there is a pretty good place in Harvard sq in Boston,but the name escapes me?Have a search on these boards.There is a new place opening in New York almost every week and each seems to be (like any New York restaurant) hyped up beyond belief,so in a nutshell it's a game of trial and error and paying through the nose doesn't guarantee anything.Enjoy you stay and when you get back to London check out Donna Margherita on Lavender Hill and compare notes!
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 07:05:53 AM »
Scott,my Wife and I are planning a trip sometime in the future to Cape Cod.Do you have any Pizzeria recommendations?Also recently you spoke of visiting and speaking with a Neapolitan pizzaioli,was he working in the  Boston area-I would be interested in trying it out?As a side note,last spring I was in Sturbridge and tried out a pizzeria near the Holiday Inn Express (The name escapes me ,but it was in a Mini mall next door)I think the wood fired  oven used was built by Alan Scott.(I personally was disappointed by the Pizza,but apparently they were doing very well as a new business.)Thanks
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 12:53:23 PM »
I think you are going to really love the cape.  It really is a great place to visit as long as you don't want to do a lot of swimming, and you don't expect amazing food.  The water here is pretty darn cold all year round, and always murky.  I highly reccomend that if it is not too late, that you try to spend one night at least on Marthas Vineyard, Nantucket, or both.  There are ferries that run all day to both islands, and it is totally worth it to go over for a day trip if you don't have lodging for an overnight stay.  The islands seem to do better with food in general.

Although I have lived here for 15 years, I still have not had a chance to get to Nantucket myself. I do get to the Vineyard just about every year.  There is a very good pizzeria (for the area) right by the carousel. I can never remember if the area is Edgartown, or Vineyardhaven, but just ask someone where the carousel is, and they will point you in the right direction.

Nantucket is smaller, more exclusive, and has a little less nightlife.  It is also a longer boat ride to get out there.  Most people that I talk to like Nantucket just as much or better than the Vineyard.  Now again, I have not been there, but I have heard that Nantucket has one of the best pizzerias in New England.  I think that the guy that owns the place is from New York, and I know from talking to restaurant suppliers in the area that he buys only the absolute top notch ingredients unlike just about everyone else in the Boston area. This place will not be hard to find.  Just do a google search.  There are probably only a few pizzerias on the island, and this is the one that gets the press.

As far as true Neapolitan pizza goes, there is nothing around at all.  The closest places are in New York.  Unfortunately The Pizzaioli I was referring to was just visiting Boston to do a promotional event for Caputo flour.  Your best bet in Boston is probably a new place called Picco or the original Pizzeria Regina in the north end, with Pico being my personal favorite, and Pizzeria Regina being in a totally cool neighborhood (our Little Italy).  Other than Regina, Santarpios is the other famous old school pizzeria here, and is right next to the airport.  You were probably visiting a Bertuccis last time you were here, and sadly I would have to rate them as being just as good as Santarpios and Regina.  I know that is not saying much.   As far as other pizza within the city of Boston goes, I absolutely love a place called Bar 10 in Copley square for its thin crust gourmet pizza. I probably like this place just as much as Picco, but it is a totally different thing than most traditional pizza. For some reason Bar 10 never gets any attention from the press, and never makes it on anybody's top 10 lists.  I have also had good luck with New York pizza on Mass. Ave in the South end, and the Upper crust in Beacon Hill or Brookline.  The upper crust has a really amazing sauce, but misses the mark with the cheese. 

Although Boston seems to have as many Pizzerias as it does taxicabs, this is just sadly not a good place to find exceptional pizza. I highly recommend saving up your money, and spending at any of the many amazing high end restaurants in the area.  To sum it all up, both the islands, and to a slightly lesser extent the cape have some truly amazing gourmet cuisine and some pretty mediocre pizza, just like Boston.

Offline David

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 03:48:08 PM »
Thanks Scott.I'll try and heed your advice about Nantucket and check out the other places the next time i'm in the  Boston area.

pizzapan