Author Topic: Balsamic Syrup- Anyone Ever Tried It?  (Read 3134 times)

Offline A-Neibs

Balsamic Syrup- Anyone Ever Tried It?
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
I was reading in Peter Reinhart's book, "American Pie", and he gives the recipe for a balsamic syrup that he uses on Pizza sometimes. He says that you take 2 cups of Balsamic Vinegar, pour it into a saucepan, and simmer it until it reduces to about a cup. He says that it really enlivens a pizza. As I read about it, my mouth started to water. I really wanted to try it. So I made some. It got thicker, but it wasn't really what I'd call syrup. Maybe that's what it was supposed to look like though. Anyways, I drizzled some of this over a pizza that I make with sauce, mozzarella, salami, and olives. It wasn't very beautiful when I pulled it out of the oven though. Should I drizzle this on after I pull the pizza out of the oven? Unfortunately, Peter R. doesn't give any ideas for what kind of pizza to use this syrup on. Anybody have any ideas of what toppings you would use this with that would go good? Just looking for some direction. Thanks.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Balsamic Syrup- Anyone Ever Tried It?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
I have made a balsamic reduction to drizzle on pizzas before.    Acidity of any kind can be really nice at balancing out especially fatty pizzas.  balsamic being sweet and tangy, I would pair it with salty meats and cheeses.   One thing to remember when doing a reduction with vinegar is that different brands/grades of balsamic come in wildly different viscosities.  With one brand you may have to reduce by 1/2 to get a glaze, and with another you may have to reduce much more.   Another thing to think about is that infusing other flavors in your reduction is very easy, so you can add in basil stems, garlic, pepper flakes or anything really.   Just pull the solids out toward the end of the reduction or strain it before using.   good luck!

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
Would you recommend drizzling it on before putting it in the oven or after removing it from the oven?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
A-Neibs,

I have used balsamic vinegar as part of an onion confit on pizza, as noted in Reply 212 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1258.msg23092.html#msg23092. I have also added balsamic vinegar to pizza sauce.

Peter

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »
Do you like what the balsamic does for your sauce? I think I'm having the same experience with the balsamic syrup that you mentioned with the truffle oil. I think I'll drizzle it on after the pizza is done because I don't think it holds up that well under the high temperatures of the oven.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
A-Neibs,

I have always been a fan of quality balsamic vinegars. I had tried it in pasta sauces and liked it there, so I decided to try it on pizza. If I were to use it on pizza today, I think I would put it on the pizza after baking, as I would truffle oil. The balsamic vinegar I have in my cupboard today is the Manicardi Botticella ORO 25. It doesn't really require reducing. At over $50 for 8.5 ounces, it should't need reduction.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:48:24 PM by Pete-zza »

parallei

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:36:28 PM »
Definitely sprinkle on after the pie is out of the oven.  Peter's "Gold 25" is an aged balsamic (not sure on the age) and a higher quality balsamic.  It has a reduced through aging. The good stuff is meant to be used as a condiment, just sprinkled on grilled meats or veggies or whatever (some say gelato!).

The more commercial stuff is used for cooking.  In The Splendid Table, L.R. Kasper recommends adding a pinch of brown sugar per tablespoon of commercial grade balsamic to enrich it for use as a condiment.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
The good stuff is meant to be used as a condiment, just sprinkled on grilled meats or veggies or whatever (some say gelato!).

I like to make olive oil ice cream (cream, milk, sugar, egg, and EVOO), all it really needs is a sprinkle of sea salt, but on special occasions, a drizzle of 20 year old Balsamico Tradizionale is pure hedonism.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline dipizzaepizzerie

• http://www.dipizzaepizzerie.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 09:58:42 AM »
I was reading in Peter Reinhart's book, "American Pie", and he gives the recipe for a balsamic syrup that he uses on Pizza sometimes. He says that you take 2 cups of Balsamic Vinegar, pour it into a saucepan, and simmer it until it reduces to about a cup. He says that it really enlivens a pizza. As I read about it, my mouth started to water. I really wanted to try it. So I made some. It got thicker, but it wasn't really what I'd call syrup. Maybe that's what it was supposed to look like though. Anyways, I drizzled some of this over a pizza that I make with sauce, mozzarella, salami, and olives. It wasn't very beautiful when I pulled it out of the oven though. Should I drizzle this on after I pull the pizza out of the oven? Unfortunately, Peter R. doesn't give any ideas for what kind of pizza to use this syrup on. Anybody have any ideas of what toppings you would use this with that would go good? Just looking for some direction. Thanks.

As an italian ex pizza chef and daughter of a producer of the TRUE "Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena" - yes, that vinegar that costs a fortune, I'm shocked to hear about this. It takes at least 12 years to my dad to get it, but I prefer the 25-year-old...
Anyway, the best use is with pieces of Parmiggiano, the size of a hazel nut, everything put on once out of the oven.
Daniela

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
I like to make olive oil ice cream (cream, milk, sugar, egg, and EVOO), all it really needs is a sprinkle of sea salt, but on special occasions, a drizzle of 20 year old Balsamico Tradizionale is pure hedonism.
CL

That sounds delightful. I have the ice cream maker attachment for the KA mixer, but have not used it yet.

There is a small, greek yogurt place nearby that makes very tangy yogurt.  I nearly always drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic (they don't have tradizionale) on top of it.....nice that they stock those.  I also add some fresh sage to it (julienned).

I'm gonna cop your ice cream idea for my house for sure Criag! Thanks. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
I'm gonna cop your ice cream idea for my house for sure Craig! Thanks. --K

All yours my friend!

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »
As an italian ex pizza chef and daughter of a producer of the TRUE "Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena" - yes, that vinegar that costs a fortune, I'm shocked to hear about this.

Oh my; I guess you won't be happy to hear that sometimes I put a few drops in my beer... :'(

Craig

Offline dipizzaepizzerie

• http://www.dipizzaepizzerie.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
Oh my; I guess you won't be happy to hear that sometimes I put a few drops in my beer... :'(

Craig

On beer?
must try it. I always use to season strawberry and they taste delicious - a FEW drops are enough for 4-5 people + the sugar. We use it in many different ways like with "zabaglione cream": a sort of custard made with eggs, sugar... and some starred chefs experiments even more.
I'll definitly tell this to the chefs who buys my father's vinegar. He may come out with sth new.
Bye

pizzapan