Author Topic: This weekends Calabro Cheese and tomatoes  (Read 4461 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
This weekends Calabro Cheese and tomatoes
« on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:26 PM »
In an effort not to stomp Matthews afternoon bake thread any more I will post this product here. I  Did a search but came up with some older 2004-2006 Calabro posts?  I was in Resturant Depot To pickup some Garafola bufalo Mozz. for Saturdays event they had 3 on the shelf and yes its 4 balls per container @ $12.79 I am adventurous and allways looking to try something new and walked out with a few Beligioso Logs and this bucket of Calabro ? 3lbs. for $11.50  I have never seen or tried any thoughts on this one? also going to try the Supremo   Italiano DOP San Marzanos (yes they have the stamp) they were a little pricey $6.47 for a #10  (3 kg) can, but I am a need to know knda guy and cant keep walking bye them.  I have been impressed with their house brand on many an Item so far.

ps they had a fresh pallet of the supremo Italialno 00 flour there at this RD Location
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:00:35 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: This weekeds Calabro Cheese and tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
John,  calabro is above average if not better.  my question always is,  do they list vinegar or lactic acid starter as an ingredient.  Calabro is a starter not a cheesy vinegar process.  I think you will like it a lot.  Thats what John D uses fairly often.  -marc

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
question answered by pictures

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
OK so yes they list starter but no mention of vinegar? what exactly is does the starter accomplish in cheese? rookie here obviously. Tha san marzanos?
thanks
John

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
the san marzanos and the cheese are both great, you will be happy!  Im with you on the house brands,  even the aged mozzarella isn't bad at lower temps. 

I still prefer lioni and grande fresh mozzarella, but this might be my third favorite of the commercially available options.    Of course a really fresh batch of any brand will be your favorite.  :)   My RD sells curd....you should try making your own!  

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: This weekends Calabro Cheese and tomatoes
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:02:10 AM »
They sell the Polly O Gold maybe I will try that  ;D I know thats good
John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 09:49:15 PM »
The results are in ! I loved the Calabro "fiore d latte" Very good taste and handled the heat very well. and also I loved the 80- 20 62% hydration!!  I am heading that way now for sure. The dough handled beautiful! from the diving arm mixer. I also used my new GI Spoodle today, its a very cool tool! also worked like a charm when spreading the DOP san marzanos. quick and level serving for a 12" pie 1 quick scoop and spread. By the way, I was not impressed with those Supremo Italiano DOP's. I prefer the Ciao non DOP over these any day! Now Keep in mind I was cooking in the garage again, with the double door open! shoveling wood in like a madman to try to keep the heat up but the pies came out ok, and a lot of great comments one guy had recently been to Italy and said It was just like what he had there? maybe he drank too much red wine over there? . Many others said the best pizza they ever had ! That I can handle and Thats why I do it,  a passion to bring neapolitan pizza to these Jersey slice Joint folk who dont make get to make it to Amano. I  booked 3 parties today too! I can finally use my new Mobile a real oven on those thank god!   Heres the event set up and a few pies from today of the quick 38 I pushed out. I have put some miles on this oven now, and as you can see the chimney is grossly undersized ( hence the black strip up the front!)  chimney looks big , but it 4" clay pipe covered in the square facing so it only appears big . Good news is I dont have to clean it  ;D  This oven is just way to large ! Pig roast maybe  :-D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:10:31 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 11:42:01 PM »
Congrats John.  Good to hear the cheese held up.  I ordered some yesterday. :)

I also tried the lower hydration but no luck so far.  Will try again in the WFO next time.

Chau
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:50:13 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
O predict You will really like it! not sure what you paid but at $11.50 for 3 lbs I may be  going with this as my go to cheese.
John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 03:34:31 PM »
O predict You will really like it! not sure what you paid but at $11.50 for 3 lbs I may be  going with this as my go to cheese.
John

I'll let you know the price as soon as I find out. This is the first time I'm ordering it from our local Shamrock wholesale food services.   They just opened in Albuquerque.  I placed in order for a 25kg bag of caputo pizzeria and calabro cheese on Friday.  They tell me the cheese is coming from Arizona?  They could get me the price on the flour at $32 and some change but not the cheese.  I'll find out when I pick it up.  I was so stoked to be able to special order as needed.   I can also get a few different brands of cheese as well.  Unfortunately no bufala!  :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:16:30 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 05:39:45 AM »
John the Calabro cheese came in today.  It came in 2 tubs to a box, 3 lbs each at $4.52/lb.  Not bad at all.  I really like the white color of it.  I found the texture soft and the taste creamy when eaten raw.  It did melt well on pizza and was good.  I like the texture and taste of the cheese I make from Polly O curd better, even after it's been in the freezer and thawed.

I'm going to try freezing some of this stuff and thawing it out to see how it does as I can't go through 6 lbs. of cheese that fast.  Anyway some pictures of the cheese and a little snack before the bake. 

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Chau ,
Glad you liked it,
I also prefer the Polly o curd mde cheese, but I am not at a point of making it yet. I use the Beligioso frequently, which I think  is closer to what you are making. Please let me know how the freeze thaw goes as RD is not exactly around the corner from me would be nice to have some in the freezer for emergency.
BTW Your pies are looking great from the New Oven and the JT thread!
John

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
A local store started carrying the Calabro Flor de Latte and their Ricotta, and they are  very tasty.

Not sure if it's a smidgen more salt that does it, but they are both my new brand of choice for eating.

Straight up, the Poly O is very bland, compared to the Calabro.

However, when it comes to pizza making, I can't really tell the difference.
To me, they both melt and taste almost the same...both very good.

Perry

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 02:15:58 PM »
To clarify, I haven't had the prepackaged polly-o soft mozz.  I have only had Di Palo cheese (excellent btw) which is made from Polly O curd, and I have also made soft mozz from the polly O curd which yields a very similar if not the same product that Di palo sells. 

Cheese made from curd comes out quite different from cheese that is bought in the containers.  I have also stretch belgioso curd and the cheese made from that is much better than the store bought belgioso logs.  When eaten right away after making, the cheese is much creamier and not as rubbery when melted and cooled.   The end product is affect by how the cheese is stretched and made and whether salt is added or not. 

Chau

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 03:17:24 PM »
This is the Poly-O I generally use...
Never rubbery or watery, and stays fresh for weeks..or longer, even after it's been opened
I'm betting your freshly made from curd is even better.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:19:30 PM »
P Boy
Can you compare that to the Beligioso ? which do you prefer?
John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:41 PM »
This is the Poly-O I generally use...
Never rubbery or watery, and stays fresh for weeks..or longer, even after it's been opened
I'm betting your freshly made from curd is even better.

Perry, that's one thing I really like about the cheese I make from Polly-O.  It's never rubbery even after it cools.  When you bite it the melted or cooled cheese, it breaks cleanly.  The belgioso often times will pull off of the slice in chunks.  I hate that.

Cheese made from curd is creamiest the day of if eating fresh.   It looses much of that creaminess once frozen and thawed.  cooked on pizza it tastes the same to me whether it's fresh or thawed.  I'm not sure about the packaged polly-o but the cheese made from curd melts nice and has a good taste and texture.   I had a friend mail me 42 lbs of curd.  I turned it into cheese and most of it is still in my freezer? 

Why am I hoarding cheese?  Am I a rat?  :-D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »
Chau,
I can get the Polly O Gold curd at R Depot and try. Is it hard to do? can you point me in the right direction /link / thread? and yes I will join the rat club too as its a 40 lb package !!
JOhn

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
John, you may want to see if anyone near you is interested in splitting the 42lbs since it is a large amount.  Since you are having a lot of gigs though it may not be a big issue.  The 42 lbs comes in 2 sealed packs so you can just use one at a time.  The other should sit in the fridge for a long while.   Once I open a package, I try to turn it all into cheese within 7-10 days.  I usually stretch 10lbs at a time, then make the other half within a week. 

Not long ago, I posted a video on how to wrap fresh mozz which has links to videos on stretching.   It's pretty easy once you get your technique down.  You can also make smaller 3-5 lb batches while practicing and deciding on a technique. 

I made video showing how I stretch mozz but haven't had time to upload it yet.  I'll try doing that this weekend.

Chau

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 10:41:16 AM »
John,
I haven't played with the Beligiosa.

Outside of the pies that I've done with moz/prov mix, I'd be hard pressed tell the difference, with my eyes closed between most of the good moz brands...including the Buffalo.

The only failures were some of the high water content , fresh balls that become rubbery.