Author Topic: An Experiment with 6 in 1's...What Caused The Change?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
An Experiment with 6 in 1's...What Caused The Change?
« on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:40 AM »
I was doing an experiment with my 6 in 1's earlier today,and I wanted to see if there would be a difference in Taste.This is the 6 in 1's ground tomatoes with the skins,bought from GFS.It's not the other chunky style,just so ya know.

I poured 28 ounces of 6 in 1's into two separate bowls.In one bowl,I left it alone,straight from the can with no changes.

In the other bowl,I used a hand held mixer and kept blending,spoon mixing,until I could not see any solids or skins left.
I have done this before,but never as MUCH as I did today.I kept blending until it was puree smooth and I could detect no skins or solids.

The change of flavor between the two was very noticeable.Tasting the 2 bowls side by side,the untouched 6 in 1's,had the original, very strong tomato flavor,taste,aroma and all.

The bowl I blended up,it changed.It tasted a lot more like a tomato soup,lost the tomato-y aroma,and it did not have the vibrant tomato taste the untouched bowl had.It tasted as if it was more acidic or bitter.
I am not sure of the terms to use to describe at times,so thats the best I can explain it.

What caused the change? Did bitter tomato acids/bitter water get released from the long amount of blending I did to make it more of a puree?Or was it something else?

-Bill

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
Re: An Experiment with 6 in 1's...What Caused The Change?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 03:07:29 AM »
the aeration
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
I vote with cOmpl3x. The prolonged blending likely caused some kind of oxidation reaction. I use the extreme blending technique when emulsifying my homemade French dressing. That is to thoroughly mix and aerate the oil with the other ingredients. It works pretty well and drastically changes the flavor of the individual ingredients. While the 6 in 1's would seem to be a single homogenous ingredient, it sure seems like something like that is changing the puree.

I guess I would vote NO to over mixing 6 in 1's after your experiment.

John in Merrill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »
Thanks guys,It was interesting to see such a change in taste.It was still good,don't get me wrong,but I did not expect as much since there really is not alot of solids in there.

EDIT: This method may also be an ideal puree to put peeled tomatoes into and store for later use.It for sure would make a good tomato soup if I blended even thinner.Ah,scratch that idea.Just use right away.

:-[

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:41:42 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:10 PM »
Hey Chick
I think it's a cool idea to think you may have hit upon a new puree/medium to help store other tomatoes in, but remember what you did was to force a ton of tiny air bubbles into the otherwise perfect 6 in 1's. That air is not a friend in stored foods that do not have some kind of preservatives in them like the oil and ketchup in my French Dressing.

I wouldn't be keen on the frothed up tomatoes shelf life without some kind of temperature or chemical help.

Just my dumb opinion, live it up and have your relatives tell us how it turned out. ;D

I'd really like a report on the tomato soup, a staple in my youth, but I don't think I've had a taste of that for over 40 years. Kind of sounds good especially with 6 in 1's!

John in Merrill
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:53:49 PM by jgestner »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
John,
You are probably right,its gonna be better off as soup or used right away.
 :-D

These dang typos or word placement mistakes I make with the wireless keyboard,sometimes it freezes up,and then catches up again,I end up typing stuff twice,and dont always catch it.
 :-D

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

Offline chickenparm

-Bill