Author Topic: canning pizza sauce  (Read 2913 times)

Offline rlandows

canning pizza sauce
« on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:31 AM »
Hi everyone,
I planted a tomato garden with 28 tomato plants.  I now have a ton of tomatoes.  I was thinking about trying to make my own sauce.  Then I'll use some fresh and can/bottle the rest.
A few questions:
1.  To make the sauce I assume I can just remove the skins and throw the tomatoes in a food processor?  Do I need to simmer the resulting sauce down?

2.  If I am to put the sauce in a can, how long will it keep?  Do I need to heat the sauce up then bottle it?

3.  Any other tips you can share for a newbie?

thanks,
Ryan

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: canning pizza sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Canning sauce is easy but unforgiving of improper procedures which usually require sterilization under pressure. Correctly canned sauce can last indefinitely. Incorrectly canned sauce can be fatal. A book such as the Ball Blue Book should be your starting point.

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »
3.  Any other tips you can share for a newbie?

I prefer FREEZING. I used to blanch the tomatoes, remove skins, and pass them through a hand cranked food mill to produce liquefied tomatoes. I'd pour that into plastic containers and freeze it. In the freezer, it holds up well for 6 to 12 months.

Now I skip the blanching & skin removal process. I simply wash the tomatoes, cut off the tops, quarter them, and throw them in the blender briefly to break them down. Then I pass them through a hand cranked food mill to to produce liquefied tomatoes.

Sometimes I heat the liquefied tomatoes on the stove top, bringing them to a boil, allow to cool and then freeze. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is necessary for safer preservation or how it affects the taste.

When processing liquefied tomatoes, if you pour them into a tall clear container and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, all the tomato rises to the top, leaving clear water at the bottom. It's actually a huge amount of clear water (Aprox 30% water, 70% Tomato).  I've never done it, but I was thinking of different methods to try in order to drain off the clear water and discard it, leaving only the thick rich tomato. The advantage being a much reduced "cook down" time required when cooking the pizza sauce.

Possible methods to drain off the clear water:
* Add some kind of valve at the bottom of the container to very slowly drain the water.
* Use a siphon hose to drain the water.

---pete---

Offline matermark

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
Here's one of my favorite forums on preserving what you grow or buy:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/

If you decide to do canning, be sure to use an approved recipe.

I and a friend have done pizza sauce, chile, V8 juice, etc, but nearly every year I almost always make 2 to 4 CASES of Annie's Salsa. Do a search for it there, it's quite popular and the best I've had.

pizzapan