Author Topic: %100 vs %166  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Pitapacket

%100 vs %166
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:59:03 AM »
I've baked with sourdough for years.  I frequent a lot of sites and there almost always seems to be some major confusion over recipe conversions and percentages.  Thought I'd put in my 2 cents.

%100 hydration starter is equal flour/water by weight
%166 hydration starter is equal flour/water by volume

Simply put, if you weigh the ingredients you're baking with use %100 hydration and if you measure use %166.  It makes the ratio for your final baker percentages much easier to figure out IMHO.  I use %100 and weigh my ingredients and have never had a problem.   Happy baking ;)
-----Christopher--------

Offline davidcwilliams

Re: %100 vs %166
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »
I think I'm confused.

Measurement by weight accurate, measurement by volume is not.

Offline yumarama

• Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: %100 vs %166
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
That's pretty much true:

1 cup of water = ~ 236 grams
1 cup of flour = ~127 gram*

236 127 = 1.85 or 185%.

Problem: people do not measure a cup of flour consistently. Depending on who and how the cup is filled, you could see from 99 to 180 grams of flour in that same cup. Even by the same person measuring a cup one after the other using the exact same technique, there will be inconsistencies. Has the flour been packed down? Do you scoop directly from the bag? Do you spoon the flour into the cup? Do you shake the cup level? Do you scrape the extra off the cup? Has the flour been sitting in the bag for a long time? Do you stir/whisk the flour in the bag first?

And this is aside from the problem of "precisely what size is that cup?" US or UK or AU? Liquid cup or solid volume ("avoirdupois") cup? And was that cup accurate to begin with? Not all manufacturers are as precise as the next.

Using an accurate scale, however, if you get 127 grams of flour, you have 127 grams of flour, whether that is fluffy or packed flour. You won't have 125 grams or 129 grams, you'll have exactly 127 grams. There is little room for ambiguity.

Fun with measuring. ;D

* Ambiguity creeps in here only because there is not set common agreement on what "a cup" of flour weighs.
Here, I'm going with 1 cup of flour (bread or AP) = 4.5 oz = 127 grams
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:32:51 PM by yumarama »

pizzapan