Author Topic: procedural question about dough  (Read 884 times)

Offline wizarddrummer

procedural question about dough
« on: June 03, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
Hi,

My refrig went out so I guess a slow ferment is out and I promised to make a New York Style Pizza dough  that needs to be ready for a party on Sunday at 12:00. That's when we should be able to roll it out and put the toppings on it.

So, I need some help with how I can cobble a dough together between now (Friday approx 4:15PM PDT) and then.

Day | Night temps for Friday, Saturday and Sunday: 67F | 59F   / 70F | 61F  / 72F | 61F

Hand mixing/kneading on a cool table outside.

Any chance someone with lots of experince can guide me when to start mixing and the Percentages I need and what procedure I need to follow?

If possible, I'd like to start the dough sometime on Saturday Evening around 8, 9 or 10 PM. I can also start it later if necessary or early Sunday morning. I'm trying to get the best flavor I can without over fermenting the dough.

i sure appreciate the help.

Offline theppgcowboy

Re: procedural question about dough
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »
Cooler with ice should work in a pinch.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
wizzarddrummer,

What size and number of pizzas do you want to make, and what type and brand of flour would you be using? Also, do you have a cooler with ice available to use with it? And will the water you use to make the dough be at ambient temperature and, if so, at what ambient temperature? Finally, do you have a digital scale?

Peter

Offline ManChicken

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:27:43 AM »
I guess you don't know any of your neighbors?

Offline wizarddrummer

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 10:26:10 PM »
wizzarddrummer,

What size and number of pizzas do you want to make, and what type and brand of flour would you be using? Also, do you have a cooler with ice available to use with it? And will the water you use to make the dough be at ambient temperature and, if so, at what ambient temperature? Finally, do you have a digital scale?

Peter

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention that my car is also on the fritz so I can't get around too well. And I have no ice or cooler handy either because the store is a bit of a walk. Don't know too many neighbors yet.

I have some High Gluten Pizza flour that I bought. Not sure what the protein value is I think it's close to 13% maybe more.

Regarding amounts, I figured that I could use the Expanded Calculator on this site to give me the quantities that I need.

I just needed some Baker's Percentages for how much yeast to use so that I don't over do it.

Since I'm new to this I tend to use way too much yeast because I get it into my head that it won't do its thing if I don't put a lot in. And If I put too little in (and I've done that too) then it's not ready for primetime when I need it to be ready.

What I was looking for was something simple; a NYC dough that I could make at ambient temperature that would be ready at 12:00 noon with a ferment time of anywhere from 5 to 10 hours.

I've read up on the NYC types of doughs and procedures from a couple of threads but none of the threads I read were doing a semi-long ferment at ambient temp between 60-62 degrees.

I suppose that I could make a dough with more than 1.7% yeast that would be ready in a few hours, but i'd like to try to get a little more flavor with a little bit longer ferment time. I can't, from my own experience, come up with a yeast amount and a time period for approx 60 temperature that won't balloon out of control and be over fermented or not fermented enough.

I just don't know how little yeast I'd need to use and a simple procedure for mixing and kneading so I don't wind up with a smelly mess that's gone way past the prime time. I've done that more than once.

I have a two neighbors across the street that I could use his fridge, but I think I want to try this as a sort of a challange :)

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:46:28 PM by wizarddrummer »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 08:52:47 AM »
wizarddrummer,

About the only option left to you at this point is to make an emergency dough. You can see a collection of emergency dough recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8297.0.html. Although not a NY style, the recipe at Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg26822.html#msg26822 is one of the most popular emergency dough recipes. The baker's percent version that I came up with is at Reply 28 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3146.msg27116.html#msg27116.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 09:20:21 AM »
A little bit more complex but you might read up on using a poolish. A good method to get more flavor without a fridge. There are several threads such as:       http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9223.0.html
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:35:58 AM »
Don,

According to wizarddrummr's opening post, he is supposed to make the pizza at around noon today.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »
Yes, I saw that too late Peter  :-[ Emergency dough as you suggested.
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
Don,

Actually, I had a poolish dough formulation in mind when wizzarddrummer originally posted. It was the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6515.msg55855.html#msg55855. However, since that dough formulation was intended to be used during daytime hours, it would have had to be modified to work overnight and to extend the total preparation time to meet wizarddrummer's timetable. Another alternative would have been to use a completely ambient temperature fermented dough--something along the lines as described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg62332.html#msg62332 but adjusting the amount of yeast based on the ambient temperature and wizzarddrummer's timetable for using the dough. That would still have been tricky in execution without having a means, such as an ice cooler, on hand in case the dough was fermenting too fast.

Peter

Offline wizarddrummer

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:21:08 PM »
Don,

Actually, I had a poolish dough formulation in mind when wizzarddrummer originally posted. It was the one at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6515.msg55855.html#msg55855. However, since that dough formulation was intended to be used during daytime hours, it would have had to be modified to work overnight and to extend the total preparation time to meet wizarddrummer's timetable. Another alternative would have been to use a completely ambient temperature fermented dough--something along the lines as described at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg62332.html#msg62332 but adjusting the amount of yeast based on the ambient temperature and wizzarddrummer's timetable for using the dough. That would still have been tricky in execution without having a means, such as an ice cooler, on hand in case the dough was fermenting too fast.

Peter

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I should have said from the get go that I'd like to make a pizza using room temperature fermenting ... my fault. I confused the issue with having no refrig because I thought it was absolutely necessary to have a refrigerator from other threads that I've read.

After some more exploration, I found the section with emergency doughs.

Most of these indicated the total time was for a few hours or so. I waited until 8:00 this morning to make it.

I made one as close to the indicated method as I could using hand mixing and canola oil.

I hope it turns out OK :)

Thanks for the ambient temperature thread, I'm going to read up on that and see what that's all about.

Have a fantastic day everyone!

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:03:28 PM »
wizzardrummer, I'm sure the pizza will turn out fine.  :D And using a poolish is actually a fun learning experience.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/brick-oven-pizza-recipe
they are really not that difficult to understand and do.
Don

pizzapan