Author Topic: Hello from Sussex, England  (Read 1455 times)

Offline rosemary12

Hello from Sussex, England
« on: June 05, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
Hey all, I'm just interested in learning how to make proper authentic italian pizza, using quality ingredients. So I've signed up to this forum as it appears to have a wealth of knowledge about just this.
TomatoMan

PaulsPizza

Re: Hello from Sussex, England
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »
Hi TomatoMan,

Welcome to the forum. Sussex here too BTW.

Paul

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:15:45 AM »
What part of Sussex, if I may ask?

I got to spend a good chunk of last year in Brighton.  I'm still subscribed to the apartment-finder email list I used to find my flat there, and suddenly got a bit "homesick" while reading through it last night  ;)

PaulsPizza

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:48 AM »
Brighton.  :)

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:48:47 PM »
Are you familiar with Pizza Face in Kemp Town?

PaulsPizza

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
Are you familiar with Pizza Face in Kemp Town?
yes, not bad but lots of room for improvement.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:02:40 PM by PaulsPizza »

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 02:13:43 PM »
Is there better to be had in Brighton?  I'm not there any more, so it doesn't make any practical difference; it's more of an intellectual pursuit now. 

My wife wasn't working while I was there, which gave her lots of time to wander around town.  She told me that she'd tried some of the "local" pizza (I don't remember exactly where) and that she literally wept over how bad it was.  Then we found Pizza Face (it helped that it was a 5-minute walk from our flat), and suddenly things weren't so depressing...

What's interesting is that the Pizza Hut (!!!?!) over at the Marina village was actually fairly good.  Far better than the typical Pizza Hut in the US at any rate.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:33 PM »
To be honest the pizza scene in Brighton is very poor imo.
I hear what you say about Pizza Hut @ the marina. Thats the best Hut in Brighton..

Kemp Town is a trendy place to live though, some great pubs and bars!

Offline scott123

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »
Paul's being a little shy at the moment, but the pizza scene in Brighton should improve exponentially within the coming months.  ;D

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »
It wouldn't take too much to convince me to move back - a decent job with enough lead-time to get things all wrapped up here, and to get pet-visas for the cats.  I was getting "homesick" over apartment advertisings... of course, the same thing could be said for Oregon, too.

Not that I dislike Phoenix, it's just that other places are more "home".  :)

PaulsPizza

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 03:31:37 PM »
Thanks Scott, i have put your 20bucks in the post for that compliment!  Lol

Squirrel, what were you doing in Brighton? Any other fave restaurants or pubs/bars?

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »
Contract software development for a company up in Hayward's Heath.  My company originally put in a company apartment in Woking, but the hour and a half commute got annoying, so decided to look closer to work.  After visiting Brighton one Friday night, I decided that's where I should live.  ;)

For the most part, the restaurants there were pretty uninteresting.  Most of the food is pretty bland to my palette.  Pub food is generally good, though.  There's a pub in Kemp Town called The Golden Cannon which we frequented a lot.  The cook there make really good Thai food.  We also frequented The Pump House... and the little red one at the back of The Lanes (can't remember its name off hand).  There was a little breakfast cafe not far from the Brighton-Hove library that we liked pretty well, too.

That's all I can remember at the moment.  When I get home from work, I'll check with the wife to see if I left anything out

PaulsPizza

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Contract software development for a company up in Hayward's Heath.  My company originally put in a company apartment in Woking, but the hour and a half commute got annoying, so decided to look closer to work.  After visiting Brighton one Friday night, I decided that's where I should live.  ;)

For the most part, the restaurants there were pretty uninteresting.  Most of the food is pretty bland to my palette.  Pub food is generally good, though.  There's a pub in Kemp Town called The Golden Cannon which we frequented a lot.  The cook there make really good Thai food.  We also frequented The Pump House... and the little red one at the back of The Lanes (can't remember its name off hand).  There was a little breakfast cafe not far from the Brighton-Hove library that we liked pretty well, too.

That's all I can remember at the moment.  When I get home from work, I'll check with the wife to see if I left anything out
ok buddy, let me know what she says.
The Pump House is a great old pub!
There is an amazing Indian restaurant in lewes btw, but as you said , the food scene is quite poor. The nightlife however.......

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
The only thing the wife added was one of the Indian restaurants on Preston Street that actually puts the "normal" amount of spice in their food.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:17 AM »
The only thing the wife added was one of the Indian restaurants on Preston Street that actually puts the "normal" amount of spice in their food.

Was it the Akash? I ate there a while ago and it was fantastic. A place on Preston Street that is brilliant IMO is Sushi Garden, quite pricey but really fresh fish!

Paul

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:34:21 PM »
Was it the Akash? I ate there a while ago and it was fantastic. A place on Preston Street that is brilliant IMO is Sushi Garden, quite pricey but really fresh fish!

Paul

That sounds right.  Little white building about... oh a third of the way up the street from the beach-end?  We tried a couple other Indian places but liked that one best.

Oh yeah, just remembered Blue Man, too.

PaulsPizza

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
Thats the one! Did you ever eat at The Ginger Pig? They do some very unusual cuts of meat..a bit like Fergus Henderson does in London..amazing menu on the 4 times i have eaten there.

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Can't say I've ever eaten at the Ginger Pig.  My company never quite got their sh#t together as far as my expenses went, so we didn't get to eat at as many places as we'd have liked....

Oh, and my wife says I need to make sure I mention The Bath Arms in The Lanes... ;)

PaulsPizza

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
Can't say I've ever eaten at the Ginger Pig.  My company never quite got their sh#t together as far as my expenses went, so we didn't get to eat at as many places as we'd have liked....

Oh, and my wife says I need to make sure I mention The Bath Arms in The Lanes... ;)

I haven't tried The Bath Arms but I know where it is, I will give it a try next time I am around there.
Did you ever eat at Jamie Olivers restaurant in Brighton? I haven't been there myself as of yet because I am always wary of celeb chef places but I have heard nothing but really good reports about it. Might give it a try this summer. :D

Paul

PaulsPizza

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Tried it tonight, it was very, very good!! Amazingly fresh! No pizza though...

pizzapan