Author Topic: Marco's Sourdough Pizza  (Read 24986 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Marco's Sourdough Pizza
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2005, 08:46:47 AM »
Marco,

Thank you for the informative reply. I am using Caputo 00 pizzeria flour and also filtered water. It has been my experience that the wetter the dough, the better the final texture, but often such a wet, sticky dough is difficult to handle without plenty of bench four and even then, loading into the oven can have tragic results. What I will do is to steadily increase the hydration until I find something optimum.

I understand exactly the difficulty of explaining a skill that is gained by years of experience. I have been baking baguettes for many years and know how much flour to add and when the dough is fully kneaded by feel, not measurement. Hopefully I can obtain this level of skill over time with pizza.

Mil grazie.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2005, 05:15:33 PM »
As I mentioned over in the Santos mixer thread: "I baked a pizza today using dough mixed in the Santos fork mixer. Absolutely no question this was the best pizza I have ever made. But I think some or much of the credit may go to factors other than the mixer. " Here are some thoughts:

1. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I used ratios close to those Marco recommends which resulted in a dough much drier than I am used to. I was afraid I might have overkneaded the dough or that it would be too dry. But after fermenting and proofing, the dough was supple and easy to work with. After baking, it had the most marvelous texture: puffy, soft, and crispy, tender. I'll probably add more water next time just because I can't leave well enough alone. But I doubt I could get a better texture. I would never have been able to get this texture in my KA Artisan.

2. I mixed up the dough the day before yesterday and had planned to bake yesterday, but a scheduling conflict caused me to postpone baking until today resulting in the dough retarding in the refrigerator for about 34 hours. The flavor from the Camaldoli starter was a little more tangy and much more interesting than before. The color of the pizza was more golden which I ascribe to the increased fermentation time. 

3. Another factor in the success of this pizza falls under the category of "fire management". Those of you with wood burning ovens appreciate that even if all of the factors are perfect, poor fire management can ruin the result and how hard it can be to have the fire perfect when you are ready to start baking. For some reason (perhaps all of the time I spent at A16 watching the process), today's fire was perfect with plenty of radiant heat from the flames curving down from the dome to evenly cook the whole pizza quickly.

Anyway, I have so much experimenting to do, but I think I have never been closer to my quest for the perfect Neapolitan pizza. 

Bill/SFNM

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2005, 06:26:45 PM »
The new mixerhas a great beginning and just like it would make a perfect dough.  Interesting your comment about fire management, it is absolute key to great barbecue.  I was wondering if you have tried real charcoal for the coal bed.  It would get you started faster then lay your wood on top of that.

Randy

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2005, 07:43:50 PM »
I was wondering if you have tried real charcoal for the coal bed.  It would get you started faster then lay your wood on top of that.

Randy,
I have a big pile of pecan and oak logs I use for my offset BBQ pit, so I also use those in the brick oven. A big propane cactus burner gets the wood started. I do use lump charcoal in my grill.

Bill/SFNM