Author Topic: Pizza Della Settimana  (Read 930 times)

Offline Pitapacket

Pizza Della Settimana
« on: May 24, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
Hello Everyone :).  I thought it was time to start a single thread for my weekly pizza experiments.  My pizza's have come along quite a bit since I found this forum a little over a month ago.  I have learned so much from you all and look forward to growing and improving upon what I've been able to produce.  I generally make my pizzas on the weekend.  I make and eat a lot of them.  I look forward to sharing my pies and look forward to all of the great advice that is sure to follow.  :pizza: :pizza: :chef: :pizza: :pizza:
-----Christopher--------

Offline Pitapacket

Re: Pizza Della Settimana
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:02:49 AM »
The single greatest thing I learned this week was to put fresh herbs on after the pizza came out of the oven.  What a huge difference in appearance and taste!  I modified my original crust recipe with a few weeks worth of tips gleaned from this site.  I think I may have changed too many variable to make it educational though.  I quickly went back to my original and started changing one thing at a time.  

Flour: 24oz
Ice Water: 16oz  %66.6
Bertoli EVOO: 2 T
IDY: .5 tsp
Mortons Iodized Salt: 2 T

Mixed with a paddle attachment on low for 2 min - 5 min rest - 3 min medium mix with hook.  24 and 48 hour cold ferments.  The flavor of the 48 was amazing compared to the 24.  I think the ice water really put a hurtin' on the yeast.  Maybe I need to give it a chance to bulk ferment at room temp for awhile.  Oven spring was OK and the texture was more of the leathery.  Not a bad crunch.  I would probably not make this crust again without a long cold ferment or maybe to try a room temp.  

The Sauce:  A week ago I canned some plum tomatoes from the local farmer's market and put 4 basil leaves in with them.  I strained the tomatoes, hand crushed them, and applied.  

The cheese: Homemade Mozzerella (citric acid/rennet) made with raw cow's milk from a small farm in York SC.  Finished off with Grana Padano from "The Fresh Market"

Finally I topped the finished pie with some sweet basil from the garden.  

Phew
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 11:04:56 AM by Pitapacket »
-----Christopher--------

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:48 PM »
Pitapacket, Very tasty looking pizza. Look forward to more. I also sparingly apply herbs after taking it out of the oven.
Don

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »

PP
Nice looking pie.

Your assumption that the ice water may be putting a hurtin' on the IDY  is correct.  The temperature range for dissolving IDY is usually cited as being between 70-100 degrees.  Ice water can "shock" the yeast.  Below 70 degrees the yeast will start to lose potency.

Bob

Offline Pitapacket

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
Pitapacket, Very tasty looking pizza. Look forward to more. I also sparingly apply herbs after taking it out of the oven.
Don

Thanks Don.  What a difference the fresh herbs make.  I already have some infused in the tomatoes, so the late addition just adds a little punch. 
-----Christopher--------

Offline Pitapacket

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:18:07 PM »
PP
Nice looking pie.

Your assumption that the ice water may be putting a hurtin' on the IDY  is correct.  The temperature range for dissolving IDY is usually cited as being between 70-100 degrees.  Ice water can "shock" the yeast.  Below 70 degrees the yeast will start to lose potency.

Bob

Thanks Bob it was tasty.  I actually got the ice water idea from Reinhart.  In the Bread Bakers Apprentice his recipe calls for ice water with a final mixed dough temp of 50-55.  Mine registered at around 70-72.  I did forget to mention that I did a half and half with KABF and Gold Medal AP.  I think this may have hindered the spring a little.  Despite what he recommends, I agree that in my kitchen, cold water makes for a sluggish yeast. :-\
-----Christopher--------

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »
Nice looking pizza! 

Since you are using homemade mozzarella, it would be interesting to see some photos of your cheesemaking, if you are so inclined.  I would like to try making some mozzarella someday. 

Regards,

Tin Roof

Offline Pitapacket

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 04:18:12 PM »
Thanks Tin Roof.  I don't have any pictures of the cheesemaking.  The hour long trip to SC to get raw milk will probably make it a special occasion type of thing.  The process itself was fairly straightforward.  A simple kit from Amazon was all I needed and it took about an hour.  I've begun some research on making actual "cultured" Mozz, but it seems to be a very advanced maneuver.  My pizza highlight this week would have to be my first sourdough crusts.  I had baked with sourdough before in my bread making.  The culture started off a little slow but by the time Friday came around it was bubbling like mad.  A 5 hour room temp, 24 hour refrigerator, and standard 2 hour relax time made for a great crust.  Moist, tangy, and crusty.  I don't have the exact recipe since I did it by feel with my %100 hydration starter.  I did go heavy though with 4oz of fed starter for 14 oz flour (KABF).  I also cracked a couple of eggs on top of one which was a new experience.  The yolks actually got a little overcooked in the 6min 550* oven.  My standard dough recipe is continuing to  churn our respectable pies and I'm getting pretty happy with the rims.  Patience is required. 
-----Christopher--------

Offline Pitapacket

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Baked a lot of sourdough pies this weekend.  I love the flavor and texture, but I'm having trouble getting any structure to the crust.  I tried putting some OO on the whole pie but I still end up with a soggy center.  I think I may be making it a bit too thin.  I use a doughball approx 200g and go 12-14".  I topped this pizza with fresh peeled/seeded roma tomatoes with just salt and pepper added, Buff Mozz from TJ, Grana Padano, and fresh herbs.  The taste was great.  I don't seem to be getting as much color as I'd like either.  I extended the bake time to 7 minutes @ 550*.  Standard pizza stone.  1 hour pre-heat.  Would some sugar or honey help with the crust or do you all think I need to make it a bit thicker?  Is KABF maybe not the best flour to be using?  Here's the formula I used.

Starter @ 100% hydration - 4oz
KABF - 12oz
Water - 6oz
Salt - .5oz (TBS)

3 minute mix without salt followed by 20 minute autolyse.  Salt added then I let the bread machine do it's thing.  I shape and ball then into the refrigerator.  Dough is pulled from fridge 4 hours before the bake.  I was thinking next week I may stop using the bread machine.  I've read a lot about the overworking of the dough and the proofing temperature being too high.  It worked well for me with a traditional dough, but the sourdough seems to be taking insult to the beating and heating.  I've also tracked down a local store that allegedly sells Caputo 00 so I think I'll be giving that a try next week as well.   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:
-----Christopher--------

Offline Chet

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »
The single greatest thing I learned this week was to put fresh herbs on after the pizza came out of the oven.  What a huge difference in appearance and taste!  I modified my original crust recipe with a few weeks worth of tips gleaned from this site.  I think I may have changed too many variable to make it educational though.  I quickly went back to my original and started changing one thing at a time.  

Flour: 24oz
Ice Water: 16oz  %66.6
Bertoli EVOO: 2 T
IDY: .5 tsp
Mortons Iodized Salt: 2 T ( I am curious, is 2 Tablespoons of salt, does that seem high.)

Chet

Mixed with a paddle attachment on low for 2 min - 5 min rest - 3 min medium mix with hook.  24 and 48 hour cold ferments.  The flavor of the 48 was amazing compared to the 24.  I think the ice water really put a hurtin' on the yeast.  Maybe I need to give it a chance to bulk ferment at room temp for awhile.  Oven spring was OK and the texture was more of the leathery.  Not a bad crunch.  I would probably not make this crust again without a long cold ferment or maybe to try a room temp.  

The Sauce:  A week ago I canned some plum tomatoes from the local farmer's market and put 4 basil leaves in with them.  I strained the tomatoes, hand crushed them, and applied.  

The cheese: Homemade Mozzerella (citric acid/rennet) made with raw cow's milk from a small farm in York SC.  Finished off with Grana Padano from "The Fresh Market"

Finally I topped the finished pie with some sweet basil from the garden.  

Phew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:55 PM »
Chet,

I suspect that 2T should be 2 teaspoons. Otherwise the salt would be around 5% rather than around 1.7%.

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Good looking pies, Salute!

pizzapan