Author Topic: New blog post by EAT PIZZA on EatItalian.com!  (Read 1134 times)

Offline EatItalian

New blog post by EAT PIZZA on EatItalian.com!
« on: June 05, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Check out the latest blog post by Eat Pizza on EatItalian.com - http://www.eatitalian.com/blog/66958/roberto-caporuscio-keste-true-pizzaiolo

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: New blog post by EAT PIZZA on EatItalian.com!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:41:45 PM »
Good stuff, but pineapple is an insult on pizza while lemons and figs are okay?   ???  What is the rationale?

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »
what is the time for bulk vs ball rise?

Offline EatItalian

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
Good stuff, but pineapple is an insult on pizza while lemons and figs are okay?   ???  What is the rationale?

The lemon pizza with smoked mozzarella is a relatively unknown treasure invented by Antonio Starita of Starita Pizzeria in Naples.  It sounds odd, but it works..actually it is truly unbelievable as I have had it numerous times!  The fig pizza, is another Starita creation and equally wonderful. 

In my opinion, I also agree that pineapple has no place on a pizza as it is just the typical Americanization of a what I consider a sacred Italian product.  What Antonio Starita and Roberto of Keste' develop are true-to-form, have historical significance and are created by masters who uphold the highest standards of true Neapolitan pizza making.

If you get the opportunity to experience either of them...I highly recommend you give it a try.  I guarantee you will see what I am talking about!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
I certainly hope to try their creations one day.  And when I do, I  am sure that I will like them as well.  I have no doubt that Roberto and Mr. Starita are true Neopolitan Masters and this is not about questioning Mr. Starita's choice of toppings or judgement. 

But to say that b/c the Master says figs, lemons, or M&M's are okay on a pizza and pineapple or anything else they don't like is offensive, American, or Un-Italian is really silly IMO.   A topping is a topping is a topping.  You are either traditional or you are not.  If you are not, then who's to say that one topping is better than the other or one is more traditional than the other. 

These 2 gentlemen are highly trained pizza makers, making them masters.  I don't think I could ever match their skill or knowledge but they are human, not gods of some sort.  What happens if 2 NP masters disagree on a topping?  Then who is right and who is wrong?

Anyways, not the point at all.  Thank you for posting the video.  I enjoyed watching it and found it informative. 

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
In my opinion, I also agree that pineapple has no place on a pizza as it is just the typical Americanization of a what I consider a sacred Italian product.  What Antonio Starita and Roberto of Keste' develop are true-to-form, have historical significance and are created by masters who uphold the highest standards of true Neapolitan pizza making.

Oh come on now. If pineapple grew on the Amalfi coast instead of lemons, you would be saying the opposite as it applies to pineapple. Saying something has no place on pizza due to Americanization is the height of hypocrisy - especially on a pizza forum based in the US.

I do enjoy your blog and videos, but putting pizza on a sacred pedestal is pushing it for me. We learn from the masters and respect them.

John
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:58:31 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 08:04:04 AM »
The lemon pizza with smoked mozzarella is a relatively unknown treasure invented by Antonio Starita of Starita Pizzeria in Naples.  It sounds odd, but it works..actually it is truly unbelievable as I have had it numerous times!  The fig pizza, is another Starita creation and equally wonderful.

I agree....I make a smoked mozzarella and lemon pizza and call it the Starita Limon in honor of Antonio Starita. Excellent flavor combination I first learned about from Starita's guest appearance at Keste two years ago.

I have tried multiple variations of pizzas with fresh figs on it going back several years, so I'm not sure Starita "created" this one.

In my opinion, I also agree that pineapple has no place on a pizza as it is just the typical Americanization of a what I consider a sacred Italian product.  What Antonio Starita and Roberto of Keste' develop are true-to-form, have historical significance and are created by masters who uphold the highest standards of true Neapolitan pizza making.

I respect the hell out of the Neapolitan pizza makers and I love the tradition, but the smug holier than thou, "sacred" attitude is simply bullocks.

Thanks for magnifying exactly what I hate about Neapolitan pizza.

Like the classic Neapolitan pizza, it is 9-10 inches and has a crust that is neither too thin nor too thick

The pizze at Keste are 12" in diameter. (as an aside, the 9.5oz dough balls cited in your article are much too large for a 9 inch pizza)

The margherita at Keste comes with fior-di-latte. The regina margherita comes with bufala. Since you mentioned bufala came on the pizza you tasted for the blog post, you may want to specify that you ordered the Regina Margherita so that people reading your article and going to Keste won't simply order a Margherita and question why there is no bufala on it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:32:04 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline texmex

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 01:13:42 PM »
This cracks me up. 
 :-D

....the smug holier than thou, "sacred" attitude is simply bullocks.

Whatever's good for my palate is what's good on pizza, or in a burrito, or to make a sweet or savory pie or cookie, or between two or three or even four slices of bread for a Dagwood. 
Reesa

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 05:16:41 PM »
 how about hot dogs? a customer asked my late uncle to put hot dogs on his pizza which the customer supplied .my uncle kicked him out throwing hot dogs at him as he ran out the door.
 roberto is very passionate about his pizza.i know of a very prominent group of customers who came in one night and asked for garlic on every pizza on the menu which he refused to do, stating it would ruin his pizza. they ate them as the menu suggested and were very happy with the food and his commitment to his craft.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:27:21 PM »
pizza orthodoxy IS ridiculous.

That being said I do agee that canned pineapple has no place on my pizza because, in my opinion, it simply is not delicious.

I could see fresh island pineapple paring very nicely with fior de latte on a dessert pie however.

AZ

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 05:49:07 PM »
That being said I do agee that canned pineapple has no place on my pizza because, in my opinion, it simply is not delicious.

The pineapple in question was never clarified as being canned or fresh unless I missed that.

Fresh pineapple, drained of excess juice and thinly sliced can be surprisingly good on a pizza.
Smoked mozzarella and thinly sliced red onion form a bacony/smokey earthy-sharp base to reel in the sweetness of the pineapple. Start the pie off with just that combo and then, like Bianco and the pistachios, pull the pie from the oven when nearly complete, quickly arrange the thinly sliced pineapple on top and a dusting of freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano and shove that mutha back into the oven to finish. Add a small amount of freshly chopped mint post bake. You may enjoy a small cracking of black pepper as well.

I've been experimenting with this combo and almost have it dialed in. For some reason I keep thinking fresh sage would be better than the mint my tastebuds keep telling me it ain't working when I eat it.

And then of course there's that Mike's Hot Honey!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:51:10 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 11:56:46 PM »
Sacred? And they're not joking about that?

Seriously?

It's just pizza... that's all it is. It's fine to be passionate about it, but to elevate it to the place of worship is a bit much...
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »
I liked the fact that the flour sacks are stored on the floor. :-X

Just my .02
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends