Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 38739 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2011, 10:25:16 PM »
Hey Tran Man, if it was EASY, everybody would be doing it! :-D :-D :-D

Offline Tman1

« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2011, 12:15:14 PM »
Hey Chau,

Pizza's as usual look great. What size dough ball do you usually make/use?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
DMC, it's not that I wouldn't be successful at it, it's just a question of whether I would be more successful at it compared to what I am currently doing.  And I don't think that I would.

Thanks Tman.  These were 426gm which I stretched to 16" initially, but my dough might have been a bit extensible so I ended up with slightly oblong pies rather than perfectly round.  I think for future pies, I will be upping it to 440gm just to get a bit more rim.

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »
A few pies from my latest bake.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
Yum!,  Those look awesome.   You must have a great oven! :-D

Scott D.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
A new one for me.  Pistachio encrusted salmon, balsamic vinegar.  This one was really tasty.

2nd pie is a Lime drop pie.   Borrowed from the lemon drop pie introduced onto the forum by Tman.  Thanks Terry!   I did things a bit different though.   I left the rind on, which I'll take off next time.  Instead of putting the marscapone cheese down first, I layered the dough with thinly sliced limes that were allowed to drain on a paper towel for about 20 minutes.

I then drizzled butter onto the lime slices and baked the pie.  After it came out, I dalloped the cheese on and then redomed the pie for a few seconds to get the cheese heated a bit.  I then dusted with powdered sugar.  Pretty tasty.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:43 PM »
Awesome pies Chau. The crusts on the Margherita and the Maranara look pretty darn close to perfect IMHO.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Chau,
Very Nice!! All those pics and not a single Skirt Shot (underneath)  :(  I am just curious how the bottom looks on these beauties ? sounds funny :D.  OK let me put it differently I am  interested in the coloration that your forno floor provides ? Silly question? but did you get an Oven/hearth temp and Bake time? Look quite similar to some previous pies I have made with the larger conicione.
I am very interested in trying the lime/mascapone  pie Looks very tasy indeed !
Thanks
JOhn
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:07:01 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »

Nice!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »
I dont know what else to say except you continue to make some some incredible looking pies there!
8)

Im amazed at how nice the crusts are coming out time after time.Now I'm super Hungry!
 ;D
-Bill

Offline Tman1

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2011, 04:55:43 PM »
They look great!!    :chef:

I like your method for the lime drop pizza and will implement some of them. The cheese certainly brings a lot of moisture to the plate. It doesn't look as runny as our lemon drops and I like that!

Salut!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
Is that the butter??

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2011, 07:01:04 PM »
Yum!,  Those look awesome.   You must have a great oven! :-D

Scott D.

Thanks Scott.  I'm happy with the oven but still trying to figure her out.  She can definitely be hot and cold at times.   :-D  I'm also learning that the oven alone doesn't make for great pies.  Still working on perfecting that dough.  

Awesome pies Chau. The crusts on the Margherita and the Maranara look pretty darn close to perfect IMHO.

CL

Craig that is high praise coming from a self made pro such as yourself.  Thank you.   The crust on the first 2 pies were made with CY and the others with IDY.  The first 2 were also baked hotter.  So the combination of HIGH heat pluse CY may be responsible for the rim rise.  They were 240gm each.  

Chau,
Very Nice!! All those pics and not a single Skirt Shot (underneath)  :(  I am just curious how the bottom looks on these beauties ? sounds funny :D.  OK let me put it differently I am  interested in the coloration that your forno floor provides ? Silly question? but did you get an Oven/hearth temp and Bake time? Look quite similar to some previous pies I have made with the larger conicione.
I am very interested in trying the lime/mascapone  pie Looks very tasy indeed !
Thanks
JOhn

John, I was determined to get the oven really HOT to see if I could force more leoparding.  The first pie was baked at 950F and under 45sec I'm sure.   The 2nd one was 900, and the others 850 or so.  At any rate, the bottoms were a bit darker (blacker) than I like.  I even tried baking this time with coals on both sides of the pie.  I'm still trying to figure this oven out.   I would definitely do the lime/lemon pie again.  Definitely take the rind off though and don't be shy with the powdered sugar.  

Thanks Tom and Bill.  Always appreciate the encouragement.  It's a work in progress.  

They look great!!    :chef:

I like your method for the lime drop pizza and will implement some of them. The cheese certainly brings a lot of moisture to the plate. It doesn't look as runny as our lemon drops and I like that!

Salut!!

Terry, thanks for posting the link for the lemon drop pie in the other thread.  I made these changes based on the complaints that the pie was coming out too wet from the Forno Bravo crowd.  I found that if you dallop the cheese on afterwards and dome the pie for a bit, you can control how much it melts.  This way it doesn't become liquefied.  Also resting the lemon slices on papertowels to drain some of the excess juices helped alot as well.  As well as not putting too much butter on.

John, the white lumps you see that look like butter is actually the marscapone cheese.  The butter was drizzled over the lime slices and baked so you can't see the butter but it's there.  

Chau
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:39:17 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
"still working on perfecting that dough"....you know Tran Man , that may be a life long journey, enjoy the trip (I know you do)!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
Gotcha I am also figuring out the ovens still Too hot= burnt Like you say look nice but bottom overdone.
To force the leoparding try putting the pie  right next  to the coals 2" away and spin spin spin. When I cook in my friends primavera 60 (Like Dellevechia) or the small barrel thats when I get the nice leoparding these were done very close to the coals like 60-80 sec keep trying you are 100% caputo on those?
Thanks for the tips on removing the rinds on the lemon. How much butter are we talking about? Do you know where the good links are to those lemon delights? Tman?
Thanks again
John
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:17:40 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Tman1

« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
Thanks for the tip John, I have been baking about 2" from the coals.  I even occassionally get a small piece of coal stick to the cornice b/c I'm a bit sloppy with the turning.  I think it might be more of a dough issue for me.  I'll figure it out soon though.   Yes those were 100% caputo pies.  I tend to bake things on the dark side.   >:D

As far as how much butter, it's totally upto you.  For that pie I drizzled it over the lime slices in a circular fashion just like I would drizzle OO, but I used about twice as much.  I went 2x around the pie.  

John I found a leftover slice of the salmon pie in the fridge.  See pics below for the upskirt shot.

Forgot to say thanks to Jet Deck for the seeds for those tomatoes.  They look like miniature versions of plum tomatoes.  Anyone know what they are called?

Chau
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:41:29 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »
Wow, that crumb shot is amazingly gorgeous!  As always, your pies inspire me. 

Offline Tman1

« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
Just following up on a reference to the peel on lemons (and lime!)  on the xxx-drop pizzas. We've tried with and without peel. I think getting the slices all equal and thin are beneficial. This last time my wife zested a bunch of the peel off and we sprinkled it over the top at the end, just prior to eating (so no heat involved). It helped to enforce the lemon flavor, although that doesn't seem to be a problem. I did notice we are heavier in our allotment of slices of fruit. Maybe we'll cut back to 3/4 of what we do and employ some different techniques.

All this talk about it, and no one has asked; what did everyone think about the lime drop?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Those are ladyfinger tomatoes if they are the same ones he sent me.