Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 36662 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »
Crispy!!  Saying your pizzas are beautiful has become so redundant, I won't even bother.  In the video the crispy crunch really comes through.  The rims do look puffier/fatter than your usual NY.  I love how you primped your crust before the zoom in  :-D  Did you find the AP/00 blend lighter or more tender than the BF/OO blend, or just crisper, or ??

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
God knows I love hot wings. A sweet/vinegar/heat thing with a bit of habanero's in there to give that citrusy heat thing.....ohhhhhhh yeah.......
Jon

Jon I made 2 batches.  A honey buffalo and Asian zing.  When I make wings, I always brine them first.  It makes them that much better.

Great looking NY pie , so its 75%ap and 25% HG? or 00?
thanks john

Thanks John.  It was 25% HG.

Crispy!!  Saying your pizzas are beautiful has become so redundant, I won't even bother.  In the video the crispy crunch really comes through.  The rims do look puffier/fatter than your usual NY.  I love how you primped your crust before the zoom in  :-D  Did you find the AP/00 blend lighter or more tender than the BF/OO blend, or just crisper, or ??

Robyn, a compliment never gets too old to hear but I understand where you are coming from.  I'll try to cut back on my posting so my threads don't become too boring.   :D. That pie was suppose tobe a thin 16", but I decided to make it a 14" bc it was towards the end of the bake and I was running thin on toppings.  This was a 75% AP 25% HG.  My usual crust is 75/25 00/HG, but I was wanting to see if switching to AP flour would cure a premature bottom burning issue I had.  It appears to have solved the issue, but I'll have to do more tests.

Chau
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:29:57 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Hi Chau,

I was reading and noticed you said adding the AP flour seemed to have an effect over the other flour recipe burning prematurely.

With my other doughs,using no oil or sugar,the 100% AP seemed to brown better than my other dough flours.Did you use any oil or sugar in your dough that you mixed AP with?I know we use different mixes and ovens.Still,I love reading about how your mixes worked out for ya.
 :)

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #223 on: August 22, 2011, 05:35:03 AM »
Thanks Bill.  For awhile now, I have not been using oil or sugar in my doughs.  A few of the dough batches in this lastest bake did have 1% oil.  Once I get my blend down, I'll do more testing to determine if oil should be there or not.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #224 on: August 22, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
to determine if oil should be there or not.

Olive oil should go on top of the skin pre-bake, but doan-chu go puttin any oil in the dough Willis!  :) --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline doodneyy

« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2011, 01:34:12 AM »
So...
Chau,
8821 & 8820 are...perfecto'
That is how they should be with some char mixed in to round out the flavors..
I can taste them from Seattle...

m.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #226 on: August 28, 2011, 01:57:31 AM »
Thanks Doodneyy, see if you like these any better.   These are from tonight's WFO bake.  

I was comparing a 57% hydrated (21h) 00 dough to a 71% hydrated (12h) 00 dough.  Both made very different pies.   I'll probably settle on something in the middle next time.  

Pie 1 : 71% hydration, high temp bake.  Crust is soft, crumb spongy.  Good eating pie.

Pie 2 : Marinara with red onions, pistaschios, basil, sprinkle of parmesan and EVOO.

Pie 3 : shrimp and garlic.  71% HR lower temp bake than the first one.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #227 on: August 28, 2011, 02:27:57 AM »
Made a few different blended NY style pies as well.  HG flour for this style is definitely the way to go.  Happen to get a pic of one of the pies.  Shrimp and garlic.  This one baked at 3m20s with another 30 seconds of doming the rim. 

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2011, 03:35:40 AM »
mighty, mighty fine there my brother, as are you breads. Made 2 loaves today and maybe a couple more tomorrow. Got the starter sitting with a cheesecloth cap on the front patio table, bubbling away. Warden Rosie's asking what's with all the bread, I tell her to eat the store bought stuff so it don't get tossed if you don't want none, then she clams up as long as I clean my messessss >:D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2011, 06:29:21 PM »
Chau,

Those look great! As always,superb work!
 8)

Wanted to ask you,the sauce you make,do you apply it cold or room temp?
Is there a preference or does it make no difference?
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »
Chau,

I agree, those pies sure all look tasty!  :) Wish I had a WFO to play around with.  Great job!  :chef:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Thank you Jon, Bill, and Norma.  Very much appreciated.  Always a work in progress. 

Bill, my sauce is typically applied RT or slightly warmed.  I think if you are talking about NP style, if the sauce is applied cold then it may cook a bit less during the short bake.   I'm not sure if there is a standard or not so it would be interesting to hear about what the pros do. 

On a side note, I just bought a OXO tomato mill and it gives a slightly different texture than with the hand blender.   Next time, I may make the sauce a little smoother and apply just a bit more. 

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
Love the shrimp pies Chau. If you ever visit, you won't believe the shrimp we get here. I'm 5 minutes from the docks.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
Hell, I believe it Craig!  I use to live in Corpus Christi.  I definitely miss the seafood and fishing out there.  I may be out in Houston this or next November.  Gonna have to visit you and Gene if you guys are available. 

Those snapper and shrimp dishes you whip up look unbelieveable.

Chau

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2011, 10:11:37 PM »
Chau,

Will using the tomato mill make a less "watery" or less "thinned out" type of sauce then say,a hand blender?I don't know much about it so I'm asking what popped into mind.

Thanks for telling me about the sauce temps.It sort of ties in when I asked you about the cheese melting some time back.I have tried some cold sauce and some room temps/or slightly warmer than room temp sauce.
Not done yet,will do some more testing.

-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Bill, I've only played around with this one mill, but from the little that I've read, mills tend to make a more watery product.  You lose a bit of pulp along with the seeds and skins requiring me to refilter the sauce.  I think the more expensive or better mills tend to create less waste.  The texture can be less pulpy and more fine depending on the size of the screen you use as well.  You definitely get a more even textured sauce using a mill.

So far, when I'm incorporating fresh tomatoes in with canned tomatoes, it's an extra step (extra time) to mill out the seeds but worth it.

It's funny how seeds never bothered me in the last 2 years and then all of a sudden, they bother me.  ???

Chau

parallei

« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2011, 11:12:16 AM »
I'm running out of words of praise. Those sure look great Chau.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Thank you Paul, always nice to hear from you.  What are you working on these days?  

Love the shrimp pies Chau. If you ever visit, you won't believe the shrimp we get here. I'm 5 minutes from the docks.

CL

Something I wanted to mention and completely forgot to.  Concerning topping pies with shrimp.  I use to par cook them but have been putting them on the pie raw.  I do slice the thick ones in half though.  They have a much better texture and taste post bake, even with the short NP bakes.

Chau
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:23:54 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »
I tend to get pretty large shrimp, and I also slice them in half. I've tried putting them on raw, however I've found that I prefer to poach them oh-so-lightly in butter first. I do it at a very low temperature. there is no bubbling going on. I'd say they are a little less than half cooked when I put them on the pie. I may or may not put a bay leaf or garlic or some other seasoning in the butter.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »

It's funny how seeds never bothered me in the last 2 years and then all of a sudden, they bother me.  ???

Chau

Thanks for the details about the mill.

As the seeds go,Could it be maybe your just noticing them more these days?
 ;D

The seeds still don't bother me any.Not unless theres a huge or excessive amount,then I try and scoop some outta there.When I make a pizza and theres some seeds in the sauce,I never notice or taste it on the pie.

-Bill

pizzapan