Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 36425 times)

Offline DrivenAgain

• Gems By J.Wade
Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
Those crumb shots look like perfection!!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
Those crumb shots look like perfection!!

Thanks Jason!

I tend to get pretty large shrimp, and I also slice them in half. I've tried putting them on raw, however I've found that I prefer to poach them oh-so-lightly in butter first. I do it at a very low temperature. there is no bubbling going on. I'd say they are a little less than half cooked when I put them on the pie. I may or may not put a bay leaf or garlic or some other seasoning in the butter.

CL

That sounds great Craig.  Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time I'm doing shrimp. 

Thanks for the details about the mill.

As the seeds go,Could it be maybe your just noticing them more these days? ;D
The seeds still don't bother me any.Not unless theres a huge or excessive amount,then I try and scoop some outta there.When I make a pizza and theres some seeds in the sauce,I never notice or taste it on the pie.

I think I notice them more this past couple of months when I was adding in a good amount of fresh tomatoes to my sauce.  The round garden tomatoes tend to be full of seeds.  There's not so many seeds in the canned plum or crush tomatoes.  But fresh tomatoes add a really nice freshness you just can't get elsewhere so it's worth the effort. 

Chau

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
This is one of the best threads I've read on this site.  Informative and hunger producing.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
Thank you Nick.  I'm glad you are enjoying the thread.  Here are a couple of NY style pies I made for my pizza party last night.  These would probably be closest to the original (old school) NY pies.  The crust was really on point last night.

Chau
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:36:29 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »
Thank you Nick.  I'm glad you are enjoying it.  Here are a couple of NY style pies I made for my pizza party last night.  At this point I'm not sure what category my pies fall under.  These would probably be closest to the original (old school) NY pies.  The crust was really on point last night.

Chau

Looks fantastic Chau. What is the bake time and temp on these? Do you always have them close to the dying coals with a small flame?

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2011, 08:47:04 PM »
Thanks John.  From what I can remember, the hearth temp is about 750 next to the coals and closer to 700 as you move away.   Yes, I like to bake the pies about 2" close to the coals as you would bake a NP pie, but the coals should be 3-4" high and it should be fairly fresh coals.   I will periodically move the coals around and rebuild the pile to get a hot pile.  I don't always have a live fire going, but rather use that to maintain the overall temp of the oven.  If the floor temp starts to drop, then the pile gets a fresh log.  

The bake pictured above was towards the end of the night and the pile of coals weren't all that bright, thus necessitating the log.

I have stop timing my bakes but it is between 4-5m and varies with each pie.  I basically will pull the pie when it meets certain criteria.  Rim is even charred all the way around, the bottom is charred or is dark enough, when I can pick up a 16" pie with an 8" turning peel without the sides drooping too much (or when the pie crust can support it's own weight).  

Chau
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:38:49 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #246 on: September 25, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
Thank you Chau!

John

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
Chau.........those pies.....perhaps a bit thinner......is EXACTLY what im looking for, from a commercial end....rustic, dark, crunchy AND chewy....cooked enough for all the ingredients to release their essential oils, allowing the eater to taste flavors that wouldn't be present if it was undercooked....that caramelization is SO important, to me, in the flavorof a pie.

I've worked with a WFO ON 2 different establishments. I built 2 alan scott inspired ovens in my old home, so I have some experience with a WFO.  But, I am fully aware of all the problems associated. With using them in a commercial setting. Scott has helped me TREMENDOUSLY work info on NY style pies, especially with all the thoughts on his favoring deck ovens as THE ovens to use in a NY style establishment.  I think they've gotten kind of a bad rap from pizzaphiles. But when u open a commercial establishment, u have to consider so many other things.

Again....those are gorgeous....I know u are happy with what u do for a living, Juri would SERIOUSLY consider throwing a WFO on a trailer and hitting some weekend fairs.... check out the website BIG GREEN TRUCK...they are out of NEW HAVEN CT, and have carved quite a niche for themselves.

Well, thanks again for ALL your great work...I fully intend to incorporate some of your info in my search for what I do in the future.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
Chau.....so what have u decided on flour for you're NY style pies?  Straight HG, or a combo of other flours?

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
Chau,

Those are incredible.Love the rim and color! I can only imagine how good it all tastes.

8)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #250 on: September 26, 2011, 09:07:02 PM »
Thanks Bill, I got a lot of compliments on this particular crust.  

Nick thanks for the compliments on the pies.  I have made a lot of good pies with HG flour, and HG flour blended with 00 in various percentages, from 10-90%.  I recently switched from my beloved HG and HG/00 blend to Sam's club BF bleached and enriched.  With this new flour, I have made some really exceptional crusts using 100% BF and a 90/10 blend of BF/HG.  IMO, the BF simulates my HG/00 blends that I like a lot, but does the job even better.  I am a big fan of this flour for pizza.

On thinness/thickness, you'll definitely need to experiment to find your ideal.  I would agree with you that slightly thinner than what I showed would be even better.  I have stretched out some pies really thin recently (about half of what you see) and it was to the pies detriment.  I had to cut back on the toppings and the cheese overcooked.

On chew, my pies don't have a lot of chew to them, a little but not much.  Like a good baguette, the crumb is soft and melts in your mouth.  Slight chew, but not much.  Chewiness is a fault in my eyes and mouth.  It is a sign of gluten over development.  

Good luck in your quest for the pie that inspires you, you will find it!  That is really great that you are putting cost and money aside in search of something better.  Even if it turns out that you can't achieve such a pie profitably, then you can always enjoy it at home.  

Good idea about doing pizza on the side.  I have given it a little thought here and there.  I may also do some private pizza parties down the road with my LBE as the quality of those pies are beginning to rival my wfo NY pies.

Chau
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:07:13 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2011, 07:50:04 AM »
Gaba,
The big green truck was what originaly inspried me to start Flirting with Fire mobile wfo catering. The price on building a truck like that will blow your mind. :o  It Would take Many Many years to  make this huge investment back doing it as part time gig. Also limits where you can set up as well. But very  very cool rig. A note to all- Looks fun, but its work ! profitable yes ! but hard work. Its alot  more than just a grabbing trailer, its mixers ,refridgeration, generators, all kinds of tools, chopping , shopping and endless cleaning ....  But yes I would love to see chau on the road  :chef:

Chau I love your NY in the WFO pies. ( and I am not timing either) I am thankful so far everyone is really enjoying the neapolitan style.
I fade toward NY mix for a  childrens  parties and grande vs. fresh mozz. I am doing a festival columbus day with Vesta and that will be NY style with AT flour so I will grab some pics
thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2011, 07:51:09 PM »
Chau
I just read on another thread that you built your own oven....true?  I've built my own also... Who's plans did you use??

JConk--Nice.  talk about taking an inspiration and running with it......good for you.  The prices BGT gets for catering are unreal.......nice work.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 07:53:27 PM by gabaghool »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:27 AM »
Chau
I just read on another thread that you built your own oven....true?  I've built my own also... Who's plans did you use??

JConk--Nice.  talk about taking an inspiration and running with it......good for you.  The prices BGT gets for catering are unreal.......nice work.

Not true Nick.  At one time, I had considered it.  After not being able to not get the plans and realizing my lack of time, patience, and skill for such endeavors I opted to buy the oven and hire professionals to do the rest.  The build thread is here...

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11683.80.html

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
Just a few experimental pies from tonight's bake.  Working off of Doodneyy's lead (although he's yet to specify the type of flour he uses at blistering temps), I decided to throw dough to the fire and try baking a BF and HG flour dough at high temps.   The temps weren't as high as Doodneyy uses, but I did bake these at 800F+.   These baked right at 2min.   No bottom shots, but I would say these were heavily charred but not burnt.  The crust was crispy initially and softened up after sitting 10m or so.  Notice how the basil isn't completely baked, reminiscent of the quicker NP bake times. 

I would consider these pies true hybrid pies as oppose to my 4-5minute pies, which are closer to the old school NY style pies.  Hybrid style (2-3m), something between NP and the old school NY style (4-5m).

First one is BF, and 2nd one is HG flour.  

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:32:02 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #255 on: September 30, 2011, 01:52:46 PM »
I think I've reached the point where I have stopped dissecting your pizzas for subtle differences between your tests and just start thinking I desperately want all of it in my stomach...stat!  :D
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #256 on: September 30, 2011, 04:36:35 PM »
Chau, to complete what are very authentic NY-Neapolitan looking pies, consider cutting into 8 slices.

Otherwise, really delicious looking pizzas!
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #257 on: September 30, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
Chau,do you get larger bubbles with HG flour compared to the BF? I get larges ones with HG all the time.

Just wondering,since the bottom pie has enormous bubble and spring,a bit more than the first.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #258 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
Thanks guys.  Kelly, I usually cut into six slices and then split a few for the little ones, but I'll cut into 8 next time.  Thanks for touching up the picture.

Bill I just got the bag of BF and haven't worked with it enough to say for sure but it certainly does make sense.  Good observation.  I noticed the same when baking it up and was a bit surprise to see that.

Do you like the big giant bubbles or not?  About how long after you mix the dough do you divide and ball your dough?

Chau

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #259 on: September 30, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
Chau,I like the bubbles to a point.They,like boobies, can be too Big sometimes.
 ;D
I would rather get them more evenly around instead of a few enormous spots that seem to be abnormal.

After my dough is mixed/kneaded in the bread machine,I remove it right away,ball up,and it goes into the fridge for up to a 3 day cold rise.

If I let the dough sit out for say,30 minutes after its done mixing,and then ball it up,I notice I might get a day less of use when doing cold rising.That and how much yeast I use can be a factor as well.

With the HG flour,I also notice alot more bubbles in the dough when pressing it out to make a crust.A few times,the rim blew out the side from so many air bubbles in it,when I was building the rim.

:)

-Bill

pizzapan