Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 36426 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
My wife took the picture about a year and a half back. Other than that I have a little more hair, I think we may be long-lost brothers.  :-D

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »
Twins!  LOL!!!!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:15 PM »
and long lost cousin John too!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:58 PM »
I'm gonna have a field day with all of this!  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
Have at it Kelly!  :-D

Let's see....

Craig - You a gangsta!!

Bruthas in dough?  I think Craig needs a fro, gold chains, a gold tooth or a grill.  Yeah Boi!!! Who's got mo' dough???  :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 10:47:41 PM »
Have at it Kelly!  :-D

Let's see....

Craig - You a gangsta!!

Bruthas in dough?  I think Craig needs a fro, gold chains, a gold tooth or a grill.  Yeah Boi!!! Who's got mo' dough???  :-D

Chau,

Maybe I could be your gangsta sista or one of Craigs or Johnís long lost cousins or something like that with the thin dough I stretch-out at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg128478.html#msg128478 or  Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg129443.html#msg129443

:-D 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
I can't taste pictures, but from what we have been seeing and reading, you are well past that point. I'd be willing to bet some money that a Chaueria would be very popular...even if it was located next door to an already operating, well respected pizzeria in NYC. --K

It's just a different level when you create a return customer simply through a picture of your product JT.

I know Chau's too humble to agree, not trying to get him to. Just my opinion.

Awh...hey you guys are way too generous with the compliments.  Not sure I'm deserving but I'll take them.  Thank you.   ;D

Zak, Chris makes an awesome crust.  I think on the scale between NY and NP, Chris is probably a tad closer to NP and currently I'm a tad closer to NY, or at least New Haven style.  I too like the rims dark.  Some would call them burnt but it leaves no burnt taste but rather a really nice crunchy toastiness.  And not a heavy crunch either but a light one if that makes sense.  I think the OO flour adds that aspect.  I didn't take a picture but the bottems are pretty dark as well.  

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2011, 11:01:34 PM »
JT,

Those pies look awesome.  I favor the new haven looking pies especially that second pep pie.  They look perfectly charred and very tender.

I also love those small leopard spts on the upskirt of the neo, though the rim looks a little out of proportion to the pie based on my own peculiar eye.  I hope you will continue to pursue the neapolitan ideal as well as your hybrid pie, though I have no doubt I would prefer the hybrid for the crunch.

If the neo was baked at 850 and the last pie was at 650, about what temp were though middle pies?

Keep up the great work.  As if there were a question about that! :-D
AZ

Alexi, you don't ever miss a thing do ya?   ;)

The darker pies in the middle were baked around 750F.  I do like the look of them but when you get it that dark and you're baking next to the coals, it doesn't take much to burn them.  I'll probably have to bake them further from the coals as the are nearing finish to avoid over charring.   But I'm thinking Tom is onto something.  I'll start doing these at 700F to see if I don't like them more.  

As far as the NP being out of proportion, I purposely went with a smaller doughball (223gm) this time for a specific experiment.  Do you think it may have something to do with me using a 223gm doughball for that almost 12" pie instead of the standard 250-260gm?  If so...when I use 250gm, there's too much dough for me.  I either have to hide it in the center or out in the rim.  It eats disproportionately to me.   Nothing against anyone that likes to use 250gm, but it's a bit doughy.  At 225gm or so, the pizza is much more balanced IMO.   I noticed the Japanese pizzaiolo's dough balls are around 224-228gm.  

Anyways, thanks for the nice words and I will continue to play around with the style somemore baking 1-2 pies before the guests arrive.  

Chau
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:03:11 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2011, 11:08:08 PM »
Chau,

Maybe I could be your gangsta sista or one of Craigs or Johnís long lost cousins or something like that with the thin dough I stretch-out at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg128478.html#msg128478 or  Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13104.msg129443.html#msg129443

:-D 

Norma

Norma, the club is opened to anyone who wants to show off his or her dough.  We are a band of pizza making brothers and sisters here.   :chef:

Although I do request that you post up a picture of yourself with your dough hanging out for the world to see so that Kelly can doctor up the picture for the forum's enjoyment.   :-D

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2011, 11:14:04 PM »
Maybe I could be your gangsta sista or one of Craigs or Johnís long lost cousins or something like that with the thin dough I stretch-out

You definitely our gangsista.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2011, 11:17:44 PM »
You definitely our gangsista.

Norma, the club is opened to anyone who wants to show off his or her dough.  We are a band of pizza making brothers and sisters here.   :chef:

Although I do request that you post up a picture of yourself with your dough hanging out for the world to see so that Kelly can doctor up the picture for the forum's enjoyment.   :-D

Chau

Chau,

I hate to post pictures of myself, but if this what it takes to be in with the Gangstas, here is a old one.  :-D  Thanks Craig for including me as a gangsista!  :)

Norma
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 11:22:24 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2011, 11:26:21 PM »
That's what I'm talking about!

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 01:38:04 AM »
Chau, each one looks amazing. Delicious. Based on our experience with the last pizza do you think the lower temps in the oven are the reason, or the longer time to rise, or what? 

Regards,

Jim Slaughter

Offline trosenberg

• Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011, 06:19:19 AM »
Jackie, Looks outstanding. Question, in the morning when you ball the dough do you refrigerate it again until 2-3 before baking?

Trosenberg

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 12:59:37 PM »
Those are incredible looking pies.Words cannot really do them Justice!
 8) 8) :pizza: :pizza:

Btw,you had to eat that NP with a knife and fork didn't ya?

;D
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
Thanks tinroof, trosenberg, and Bill.  

Tinroof.  The longer rise time is inconsequential because of the use of IDY I think.  It's just that commercial yeast seems to be very forgiving when it comes to prolonged fermentation and crumb texture.  This seems not to hold true for CY and especially for starters.

The lower temp did make a better crust for this particular pie but bake temps and times need to be balanced with the flour used and hydration ratio.  A lower temp and longer bake time won't necessarily produce a better crust across the board.

Trosenberg, yes ball and then back into fridge.  You'll have to vary that time depending on your room temps.

Bill, no knife and fork on this one but it was wet and soft and perhaps I should have.  There's not a good way to handle these unless you fold them up like Matthew does.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:13:45 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
Thanks JT.  Your ongoing contributions are really appreciated.
Dave

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
Thanks JT.  Your ongoing contributions are really appreciated.
Dave

Thanks Dave.  Always nice to hear from you and Bob.  Wish you guys could taste the textures of the crust.   I think you would like it.

Chau

Offline gtsum2

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »
very nice looking pies chau!  It looks like you are really enjoying the new outdoor gathering place.....you are a long way from the pies on the Primo days, eh?!  Those pies look about perfect to me...well done my friend

Offline Pizza Pirate

• Lifetime Member
    • A Posto Personal Chef Services LLC
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2011, 01:49:01 AM »
Chau

Who needs television or the movies when I can just review your threads. The gangsta pictures are amazing!!! You're on your way to be being the Next Food Network Star!

One thought on the desert pizza, maybe try a little Italian Chestnut Honey with the Bananas next time. You will find chestnut honey in the Italian Gourmet Stores. It has a sweet and slighty bitter taste. Very unique but awesome. It marries really well with fresh ricotta cheese. If you like figs, you could marry the figs, chestnut honey and ricotta cheese with your NP dough and you off to being a true Italian. And maybe throw in some toasted pine nuts or pinons for a little crunch. Buon Appetito! :chef:

Thanks for all the entertainment and it's free!  8)

Bruce