Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 40576 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2011, 12:37:56 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate it.  I'm continually learning and trying to improve.  

So tonight's bake (#5) was a milestone for me.  I've been tweaking my dough technique a bit and trying some new things.  Really just a modified Tartine technique sort of.  Anywho, I tried my hand at NP style again tonight and got a couple of great pies.  

Pie 1 - 12 hr 68% hydration starter dough + hot oven = best NP pie ever!  I love this look.
Pie 2 - 12 hr 68% HR cake yeast dough + slightly lower temps.  Good to eat but like the look of #1 mo betta.

I will say that these pies gave my hybrid pies a run for their money tonight.  They were really good.  I miss the crunch on these rims BUT the soft wet center requires very little chewing.  All the freshness goes down the gullet very smoothly.  My neighbors who have never had NP pies really like these pies as well.  They were really quite good.  

The first pie is my best NP pie to date.  It was baked at a hearth temp of 850F for around 1m.  Loaded, wait just a few seconds, began turning, and it was done lickety split.   Domed a few seconds for good measure.

Chau
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:43:30 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2011, 12:48:21 AM »
Okay onto a few hybrid pies.  I also learned today that I have been baking them a little on the dark side.  I lighten a few of the pies up and they were good as well.  

These were made with the same technique as the above pies, but for my hybrid pies I think I will go back to doing it my old method.   Not sure as I still need to experiment a bit more with this.  

The arugula pie was really good.  I did something new tonight by adding gorgonzola cheese crumbles, dried cranberries, EVOO, & a bit of balsamic vinegar after the bake.   The combination of white sauce, soft mozz and the toppings was a really powerful one.  

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:16:39 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2011, 12:50:11 AM »
same hybrid dough but baked out a bit less this time. 

Offline pennygirl

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2011, 12:58:45 AM »
Even while on vacation I'm wondering...what's Chau come up with today??, haha.  Rad Pox on number 1 NP up there. Melt in your mouth im sure from the look and sound of it.

Congrats on taking things up a notch bro, huge fan.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2011, 01:03:41 AM »
Bad a$$ pies there Chau. Love the Marg. The scissors in the pic is a nice touch. :-D

Looks like you're really homing in on your target.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2011, 01:07:10 AM »
WOW!!! Im salivating like a rabid dog here!
 :-D

Wonderful Job on them pies! I swear you need to open your own place someday.
 :chef:   :pizza:
-Bill

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »
Gorgeous!!  That first NP is just stunning.  As usual, they all look great, but that first one!   Have you got a natural-feeling routine down for the WFO yet?  Curious, do you do anything different with prep than you did before the WFO?  I mean with preparing the pizzas, not the obvious oven heat mgmt.  Any tools you wish you'd gotten, or wish you hadn't? 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2011, 08:30:30 AM »
Thanks guys and gal.

Zak - when are you making the next batch of dough?  I'd like to see more pictures of your pies.  

Craig - Thank you and you NP guys have got me a bit worked up.  As hesitant as I have been, I am slowly coming over to this side.   >:D

I use to make 2 types of sauce.  A fresh sauce for NP and one with spices in it for a NY style.  I decided as of last week, I will no longer be making spiced sauces.  Only a more fresh NP style sauce for me from this point forth.  

Bill, maybe some day when I get this dough thing figured out.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:56:56 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
Chau - Your NP pie is signature. It is a classic neapolitan bake with your unmistakable crust and masterful execution. Fantastic job - I am chomping at the bit for my bake this evening.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2011, 08:47:11 AM »
Congrats Chau!! wonderful NP bake, was this all caputo?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
Gorgeous!!  That first NP is just stunning.  As usual, they all look great, but that first one!   Have you got a natural-feeling routine down for the WFO yet?  Curious, do you do anything different with prep than you did before the WFO?  I mean with preparing the pizzas, not the obvious oven heat mgmt.  Any tools you wish you'd gotten, or wish you hadn't?  

Thanks Robyn, it didn't seem to take that many bakes to get a routine down for firing up the oven to temps, adding wood, and baking.  Not sure if it's me or the oven, but it does seem to heat up and retain heat more efficiently in the last 2 bakes.  

Not too much has changed about prepping pizzas.  I haven't had to tweak my formulas specifically for the WFO.  The one thing that is different that comes to mind is that I'm prepping and making pizzas outside now as oppose to inside.  The outside temp around here is high 90-100's, so the dough can ferment and dry out faster.   I also have to keep my cheese in a cooler between pies.   But you won't have any of those problems.  

As far as tools go.  I bought 2 (8") turning peels.  One solid for managing the coals and one slotted for turning pies.  In hindsight, the one solid one for doing double duty would have been fine.  But having an extra never hurts either.  

I also bought a slotted GI metal peel for loading pizzas but I like the wooden one I have hand made by member wheelman better.  

The tool stand is really great.  Nice way to keep all the tools organize and in one spot.  

Once you get your dough down, you'll really have a good time with your oven.  It's just fun to me and it doesn't seem like work even though throwing pizza parties do take a bit of effort in planning and going through the motion.  Much easier to order pizza out but an entirely different experience to make it all from scratch and bake it up in a WFO.   :chef:

Chau
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:28:33 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
Thank you Andre and John.  Yes the first couple of pies were 100% caputo pizzeria with zero American flour blended in.   :-D

I have been playing around with so many variables for such a long time now, but the path that I'm settling on seems to be what has been done "traditionally" (as much as I don't like admitting that  :angel:).  I just had to see for myself.   This was a 12h pie made with the New England starter (Thank you John!).  I'll lower the starter amount and hydration and push it out to 24 hours next time with a similar dough technique and try to repeat these results.  

I need to cut the cheese into smaller strips next time to get a slightly better melt at 60 seconds.  

The oven heated up a bit quicker than normal and the guests were arriving.  I was running around like a chicken with his head cut off so I didn't have my basil ready, so it went on afterwards.  :-D

John good luck with your bake tonight although you are such a pro at this point, you don't need it.  

Chau
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:28:01 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 09:30:40 AM »
Chau, your mozzarella size looks good to me!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Chau,

looking good out there!  your guests are lucky indeed.  
when you fire the oven like that does it loose baking temp as you go along?  i guess you might want it to do that in this case.  
i make my pizza outside too, and summer is always a big adjustment for dough handling.  we always try to eat outside too but sometimes its just too hot.  
glad you're liking the peel, pizza night here tonight!  
bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2011, 10:15:50 AM »
Chau,

Out of curiosity, what is it like to be making pizzas for a group when the outdoor temperature is around 100 degrees F? It has been close to 100 degrees F here in Texas for weeks and as soon as I step outside I can't wait to get back inside. Do you and your guests try to stay inside as much as possible?

Peter

parallei

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
Your pies look really wonderful Chau.  I'm liking a Tartine like method also.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
Chau,

looking good out there!  your guests are lucky indeed.  
when you fire the oven like that does it loose baking temp as you go along?  i guess you might want it to do that in this case.  
bill

Thanks Bill, it does lose a bit of temp as  I go along, but I have been baking just a few tester NP pies first, then hybrid pies afterwards so they require the lower temp anyway.   After baking the 2nd to the last pie and resting for a bit, I realized I had one more dough left.  There were only coals and no live fire.  The temp was probably 700 on the hearth.  I threw 2 pieces of wood on the coals and let them burn up a bit.  I rechecked the floor and it was back up at 800 pretty quickly.  So I could probably maintain the higher NP baking temps without too much effort.   

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
Chau,

Out of curiosity, what is it like to be making pizzas for a group when the outdoor temperature is around 100 degrees F? It has been close to 100 degrees F here in Texas for weeks and as soon as I step outside I can't wait to get back inside. Do you and your guests try to stay inside as much as possible?

Peter

Peter, the high in the afternoon was 105F.  It was likely in the 90's around 5pm and dropping.  The temps do drop pretty rapidly in the evenings here since it is high desert.   I wasn't sure at first, but we ended up opting to eat outside b/c the covered patio was cool enough. 

100F here is not anyway near intolerable as 100F in Texas with the humidity.  I understand what you mean about staying inside when it's 100F out.  I use to live in Crowley and Corpus Christi, TX.  The humidity is oppressive to say the least.   Yet somehow I always managed to stay out fishing.  :)

My prep area is also shaded by a cantilever umbrella, otherwise it would be too hot.  We ended up staying outside last night.  Once it cooled off, it was really nice out there. 

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2011, 12:19:24 PM »
Your pies look really wonderful Chau.  I'm liking a Tartine like method also.

Thanks Parallei.  I've been using a modified Tartine approach with good results.  I still have a bit more testing to do with it.   Here are a few loaves I made in the WFO this morning using a similar technique.  These rose up really high.  I sent these over to the neighbors so I couldn't bring myself to cutting into them although I really wanted to.   :-D

Chau

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
Goodness, those loaves are lovely.  Thanks for the answers above!  I'm so eager to get up and running, it's making me obsess about tools and prep and silly stuff.  Somehow I just can't bring myself to want to bake in the home oven right now, I just keep staring at the WFO on the patio and worrying about how it will be, and reading these threads and older ones and trying to absorb as much as possible.  Thanks for your patience with my questions! 

pizzapan