Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 38460 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2011, 08:28:11 AM »
Thanks Robyn, glad to help anyway I can.   Enjoy the anticipation and excitement.  You have little to worry about.  Looks like you have a fantastic oven and an expert builder on your hands.

I enjoy the exchange, so please keep asking/posting.

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »
I sent these over to the neighbors so I couldn't bring myself to cutting into them although I really wanted to.   :-D

Why don't you come move in next door to me. I can get you a job in Houston!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2011, 02:33:10 AM »
JT,

Bravo.  That first pie is absolutely gorgious. Your pies just keep on getting better looking (and tasting too I'm sure).

AZ

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:34 AM »
Thx Craig, I'll keep that in mind.  

Thx Alexi.  Good to hear from you.  Have you been baking lately?  I'm not there yet and still working on it.  Glad to be making progress here and there.

Chau
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:40:24 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2011, 05:37:52 PM »
Just a few more pies from last night's bake.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2011, 06:14:57 PM »
Damn,always producing some of the best looking pies there.Cant wait to try them out someday!
 :pizza:
How long was your bake time for the last few pics? If you posted,I may have missed it.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2011, 06:55:09 PM »
Thanks Bill, you are welcomed over anytime.  I haven't been timing these bakes but they are probably around 3.5m or so.  I'll time it next time.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
Great looking pizzas Chau. The brownish hue of the crust looks just right for NY-Neapolitan.

Last one in particular looks particularly yummy. Took the grey cast outta that photo for your records.

Chau, if I ever make it out to your pad for pizza I'm definitely going to get that damned date stamp off of your camera....lol.  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2011, 07:31:21 PM »
I sort of had a feeling they were in the 3-4 minute range.They are perfect.I love the color and char of the pie..I can almost taste it through the screen.I prefer pies done a little more on the well done side,even though I do like a softer and lighter done pie once in a while.

8)

-Bill

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
Sheesh, Chau... those are simply ridiculous!

Excellent job, as usual.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2011, 12:54:44 AM »
Chau,

What's that rack your pizza's are one?  Do you cool them a bit?

Tony

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2011, 01:35:10 AM »
Ron thank you brother.

Chau,

What's that rack your pizza's are one?  Do you cool them a bit?

Tony

They are extender racks for my primo grill.  They are basically a grill grate with legs on them, designed to sit on top of the main grates.  

I don't often need them in my grill so I have them sitting out next to the grill to cool pizzas on.  I have been cooling my pizzas for so long now I just do it out of habit.  I figure you can't eat the pizza right away and I don't like it sitting on a plate steaming the bottoms.   Cooling it helps retain some of the crunch to the bottom surface longer.  

Chau
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:14:55 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2011, 01:39:26 AM »
Great looking pizzas Chau. The brownish hue of the crust looks just right for NY-Neapolitan.

Last one in particular looks particularly yummy. Took the grey cast outta that photo for your records.

Chau, if I ever make it out to your pad for pizza I'm definitely going to get that damned date stamp off of your camera....lol.  :)

Kelly as always, the edited picturs look great.  You are certainly welcomed over at my house if you happen to be out this way.  I'll have pizza and beer waiting for you. 

Thank you Bill and Ron. 

Chau

Offline NY pizzastriver

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
HOLY COW! Jackie these are amazing, you have achieved everything I wanted to when I joined this forum (but never did obviously since you can see in 'news' I ordered a Pizza Hut pie lately, lol), just perfect!

Cheers!
Jim
"If God said you can come to heaven now, but you have to stop eating my pizza, you'd stay and finish instead, right?" - Essen1

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:56 AM »
HOLY COW! Jackie these are amazing, you have achieved everything I wanted to when I joined this forum (but never did obviously since you can see in 'news' I ordered a Pizza Hut pie lately, lol), just perfect!

Cheers!
Jim

Jim nice to hear from you.  Hey Pizza Hut deep dish is okay by me.  I hope they don't make that change nationally.  Even if they do though, at least we have a good clone recipe on the forum.  ;D

So tonight I did another bake.  I tried baking on the left side of the oven and was baking at around 900F+.  These cooked at right around a minute.  I little on the darkside but pies seem to darken really quickly at 900F+!  I'll have to work on pulling them a bit sooner.  They still ate well though.  I was going for a different look on the rim and didn't get it but was happy with the crumb on both my NP pies and the NY pies.

Here are the NP pies.   A margherita for the first.  The 2nd one had OO, mozz & blue gorgonzola, fresh figs, honey, coppa and basil.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »
Here's the fig gorgonzola coppa pie.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2011, 12:28:54 AM »
Also wanted to try and bake up some NY'ers in the WFO.  These are made with 100% HG bromated flour and baked at temps of 650F or so.  Bake times were between 5-6m.  Really good.  

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:14:02 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:26 AM »
One last one.  Check out a few of the crumb shots from these NY'ers.  Now who saids a NY pie can't be baked in the WFO?  :P

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2011, 12:40:34 AM »
Now who saids a NY pie can't be baked in the WFO?  :P

Chau,

You might be interested in vitoduke's (Mel's) NY style pizzas baked in his Forno Bravo oven: www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2003.msg17661.html#msg17661.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »
Also wanted to try and bake up some NY'ers in the WFO.  These are made with 100% HG bromated flour and baked at temps of 650F or so.  Bake times were between 5-6m.  Really good.  

Looks very nice Chau. You are dialing in your WFO very quickly indeed...not necessarily an easy thing, but because it's you I am not surprised either.

For your NY-Neapolitan style pies you have been working on, I'd love to see you tinker with a larger form factor (16" to 22") and a 4-5 minute bake one day.

Quote from: Pete-zza
You might be interested in vitoduke's (Mel's) NY style pizzas baked in his Forno Bravo oven

Peter, the cheese melt may be just a tad thin and could use a little less browning perhaps...not to mention some basil on the pie....but that pizza looks rock solid like what comes outta the ovens at the classic NY-Neapolitan coal oven joints. Granted, there are variations between Lombardi's, Totonno's, John's, Patsy's, Grimaldi's, Arturo's, Bella Mia, etc, but that crust especially looks like the genuine article fo sho!
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

pizzapan