Author Topic: Domino's Pizza Redesign  (Read 18067 times)

Offline Maestro Pizzaiolo

Re: Domino's Pizza Redesign
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 05:44:45 PM »

I attended a birthday party with my daughters and wife and of course the new Domino's was on the menu... I have to admit I broke down and mainly because I was starved I gave it a shot.  It was an improvement from the cardboard flavor of years past, but it tasted of jared sauce and mediocracy.  They may have improved but they are a long way from a good neighborhood or even a home made pizza....
 :P

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »
there are 34 million ways to make a single Domino's pizza.

Upon first read, my brain offered the realtime translation of "there are 34 million ways to screw up a single Domino's pizza."  After realizing that wasn't right, a new translation was offered: "there are 34 million ways to make up an irrelevant but positive sounding statistic in hopes it will help sell a single Domino's pizza."

Offline jim baugh

• Jim's Galley Blog
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2011, 03:53:28 PM »
I thought I would reply to this thread because this week my buddy who is staying with me for a few weeks while he gets his house done, ordered two DP in one week. One pie was the brooklyn and the other I think was just a thin crust supreme.

The pies were nicley put together however, there was NO flavor. NOTHING! Not even the sasuage. This was the most BLAND pie I have ever had in my life. Something you would expect from a cafeteria.

I was in wonderment of just how everything had no taste.

Now, it has been a long time since I have ordered delivery pies. I make my own soursough crust, SM tomatoes, etc. Have gotten used to it i guess, but I was expecting something a bit more flavorful.

YEARS ago when my wife and I were in college (25 years etc back when DP was just starting) the pies were decent. The sauce had zing and the pie had some flavor to it.

What I tasted this week, everything tasted like cardboard. No flavor.

But the pie was nicley presented. It looked pretty good.

Wish I had a better report, but their, (NEW) pie was rock bottom for us.
Jim Baugh
Jim Baugh Outdoors TV

Offline bnolan920

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:33 AM »
For anyone still reading this, i would like to personally defend Domino's INGREDIENTS.  The outcome of the prodcut is based on the employees.  How many people go to a traditional mom and paps pizzeria and order a slice of pizza where the slice breaks in half and the cheese slides right off it.  That is because the pizza was made WRONG.  Making a good looking pizza is VERY EASY, but making a PROPER pizza takes a lot of practice and skill.  Im a general manager a a store that does 15000 a week, not that much, but on a friday night ill on average throw about 200 pizzas myself, alone.  THATS A LOT OF PRACTICE.   Domino's dough if properly prepared is astounding, fluffy, and has a rich taste.  If the wrong pressure is used while throwing the pizza, a gel layer is formed which causes the pizza to have a bland taste.    Next time you get a pizza from domino's, flip over one slice. take a razor blade and cut it down the middle.  Loook and see if the slice looks fluffy and thick, or does it look disgusting and all gelly.  If its the latter of the two, thats not our dough, thats not our ingredients.  THATS THE EMPLOYEE.  Making a proper pizza is based on more than just ingredients, its Portioning of sauce, pressure used while throwing the pizza, and the bake of the actual pizza. Odds are if you've had it a bad experence with domino's, its not the pizza, its the one who made it.

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
Astounding?  Come on now, this is fast food pizza we're talking about.

I can appreciate taking pride in your company, but by placing the blame on the employee you're really just passing the buck and coming off as a company man.

Sure you can still make a bad pizza with great ingredients, but the same can't be true when you swap things around.  You can't build a cabin out of sawdust.

Offline bnolan920

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 11:13:37 PM »
i agree, im not saying that they are the top ingredients as if you went to a gourmet pizza shop.  But yes it is completely Fast Food pizza.  It takes approximately 7 minutes to have a pie ready and in your hands.  But to say its bland and has no taste, taste is greatly dependent on how it is prepared, how the dough is proofed, how it is thrown, sauced, and topped.  The ingredients are primarily the same exact thing many other pizzerias use btw, I know this from working in 2 prior to domino's.  The dough is almost never the same as well

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
Astounding?  Come on now, this is fast food pizza we're talking about.

I can appreciate taking pride in your company, but by placing the blame on the employee you're really just passing the buck and coming off as a company man.

Sure you can still make a bad pizza with great ingredients, but the same can't be true when you swap things around.  You can't build a cabin out of sawdust.

I would agree. I am paying for a pizza, not excuse's. This is foodservice. No one cares if 3 of your staff didn't show up, or the ones that do are to incompetent. Thats a training issue. Domino's should have that under control by now?

Having said that.......

but on a friday night ill on average throw about 200 pizzas myself, alone.

Making a proper pizza is based on more than just ingredients, its Portioning of sauce, pressure used while throwing the pizza, and the bake of the actual pizza.

Your Hired!

If i were an operator, I would be sending you a PM, and asking if you would want to come work for me. ;D I will take some one who cares, over a Culinary grad, or impressive resume any day!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Here is another article, with a video, on the Domino's redesign of its pizzas: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/How-Domino-Delivered-Tasty-dg-1053808535.html?x=0.

Peter

EDIT (4/20/14): For a Wayback Machine substitute link for the Yahoo link above, see http://web.archive.org/web/20110526230810/http://finance.yahoo.com/news/How-Domino-Delivered-Tasty-dg-1053808535.html?x=0

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2011, 10:05:22 PM »
Marketing campaign is brilliant and apparently working for them.
Look at their stock: http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=DPZ.N

My favorite memories of Domino's - are the Christmas displays at Domino Farms in Ann Arbor - It was a huge  holiday display you toured driving in your vehicle.  At the end of the tour you could park and go inside the museum. 

We never ate Domino's - why bother when you had Buddy's and Loui's nearby.  Still craving Detroit-style pizza...even after being in Texas for years.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2011, 07:32:18 PM »
According to this article at http://www.restaurantnews.com/dominos-pizza-kicks-up-convenience-with-new-ordering-app-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/, Domino's now has an app for ordering its pizzas with an iPhone or iPod touch. One of the interesting features is that users can utilize the Pizza Tracker feature to follow the stages of their order, from the oven to their door. It shouldn't be long before an app is created for iPads.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2011, 07:59:05 AM »
Here is a recent article updating Domino's efforts to re-make itself: http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10-17/domino-s-brutally-honest-ads-offset-slow-consumer-spending.html.

Peter

pizzapan