Author Topic: Can Anyone Help Me With This Insects on my San Marzano Tomatoes?  (Read 5647 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: Can Anyone Help Me With This Insects on my San Marzano Tomatoes?
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

They have cheaper,smaller ones in the 300 dollar range.

Just throwing ideas around...if something like this could work and is affordable for ya,then go for it.
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

They have cheaper,smaller ones in the 300 dollar range.

Just throwing ideas around...if something like this could work and is affordable for ya,then go for it.
 :)

Bill,

Thanks for your help in finding me a way to deal with the insects and now groundhogs that are giving me problems.  :) Last night I saw a really big possum in my yard, but at least he wasnít eating anything that I could see.  I really donít grow a big garden, but do have tomato plants, herbs, cucumbers, eggplants, lettuce,  peppers and other things planted different places in my yard.  I guess what you could call me is a part-time gardener.  To spend that much money for my part-time hobby is too much for me, but I appreciate your idea.  I would like to have a greenhouse, but donít think I am that serious about gardening.  I also found a part eaten San Marzano tomato on the bank last evening.  If the groundhog wanted it, I donít know why he didnít eat the whole thing.  ???

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline nick378311

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2011, 10:12:51 AM »
Go to a store like home depot and buy a bug killer called "sevin". It is meant to use on fruits and vegatable and I use it regularly because I used to get little bugs on my plant. It works great, I definitely recommend trying it.

Thanks, Nick

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Go to a store like home depot and buy a bug killer called "sevin". It is meant to use on fruits and vegatable and I use it regularly because I used to get little bugs on my plant. It works great, I definitely recommend trying it.

Thanks, Nick

Nick,

Thanks for your help with my insects with telling me to try sevin.  :) Right now my tomato plants seem to be doing okay.  If they develop more bugs, I will look into purchasing sevin.

Norma

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
Norma;
In addition to your pizza baking skills, I'd say it is time to develop a good recipe for groundhog. Young groundhog, pressure cooked to make it tender, breaded and pan fried is hard to beat. Hate to say this but..................it tastes just like chicken.
Yes, I am serious. Just like chicken!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 10:09:35 AM »
Norma;
In addition to your pizza baking skills, I'd say it is time to develop a good recipe for groundhog. Young groundhog, pressure cooked to make it tender, breaded and pan fried is hard to beat. Hate to say this but..................it tastes just like chicken.
Yes, I am serious. Just like chicken!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom,

I appreciate you telling me what ground hogs taste like.  :)  My grandfather and father were hunters and fishermen, and did kill many other things like snapping turtles for food.  They also ate what they caught.  I did like snapping turtle soup and some ways venison was cooked, with other ingredients, but I really donít think I want to try ground hogs, even if they taste like chicken.  I know I couldnít ever handle a gun.  They scare me, even though my father taught me to use one. My father and grandfather also taught me how to fish.  I donít mind touching worms or other things for bait.  I also went crabbing many times.

I just had another ground hop episode yesterday morning.  My first San Marzanoís first ripened yesterday morning, and I did get to pick two, but that darn ground hog, or more than one, did take more of my tomatoes to eat.

Here are the pictures to show you what I mean.  If you see those two tomatoes on the ground, they are the ones that the ground hogs were eating.

Maybe you want to cook me some ground hog to try.   :-D That groundhog sure was angry, when I had him trapped in my fence.  All the ground hogs I see in my area are really big fat ones.  There are even possums that come up on my back deck.

Norma

Offline woodfiredgreg

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
It's definetely Colorado Potato Beetles. If you ever grew potatoes or a neighbor, that will get them in the neighborhood. If you look on the undersides of the leaves you'll see a bright orange mass. These are the eggs. Just smoosh them between your finger and the leaf. Hand pick the adults and young.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
It's definitely Colorado Potato Beetles. If you ever grew potatoes or a neighbor, that will get them in the neighborhood. If you look on the undersides of the leaves you'll see a bright orange mass. These are the eggs. Just smoosh them between your finger and the leaf. Hand pick the adults and young.

woodfiredgreg,

Thanks for telling me they were definitely Colorado Potato Beetles.  I live in farm land all around me, so there are many potato plants in our area.  I never had the Colorado Potato Beetles before, but can understand now where they might have come from.  I haven't seen any for awhile, but I appreciate you telling me what to do with them. 

Now, I am trying to get the groundhogs to stop eating the tomatoes.  They take the bottom tomatoes off, take a bite, and then let them lay.  Today I found about 8 partly eaten tomatoes on the ground.

Norma

Offline woodfiredgreg

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:16 AM »
Hi Norma,
I finally rid my garden of woodchucks (I pray) by fencing the garden in. I installed 8' posts and then used picket fence sections which are only 4' high. The posts are there if/when I need to keep deer out. So far they don't like the lower fence. But the key to keeping the garden woodchuck free is that I lined the picket with the green vinyl coated wire which is buried about a foot underground. It's bent outwards underground as well. Good Luck!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2011, 09:37:08 PM »
Hi Norma,
I finally rid my garden of woodchucks (I pray) by fencing the garden in. I installed 8' posts and then used picket fence sections which are only 4' high. The posts are there if/when I need to keep deer out. So far they don't like the lower fence. But the key to keeping the garden woodchuck free is that I lined the picket with the green vinyl coated wire which is buried about a foot underground. It's bent outwards underground as well. Good Luck!

woodfiredgreg,

Sorry to hear you had to go to all that trouble to get rid of the woodchucks.  Sounds like you did a great job, but I donít think I want to do all that work.  Hope you are rid of the woodchucks.

Norma

Offline woodfiredgreg

« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
Yeah it kinda became an obsession. Like Caddyshack! So far so good.

Greg

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 04:49:01 PM »
Yeah it kinda became an obsession. Like Caddyshack! So far so good.

Greg

Greg,

Lol, kinda like Caddyshack, really gave me a good chuckle!   :-D  Glad your are doing okay with those woodchucks.  I was just outside working, and my woodchucks are still at the tomatoes, but not too bad.  At least I have enough tomatoes planted that hopefully they won't be able to eat them all.  Here are a few pictures of my tomato plants, and you can see where those woodchucks have eaten and just dropped some tomatoes today.  I took a picture of two of their homes on the bank, behind where I live.  
Now some kind of bugs are at my eggplants.  I saw the eggs under the leaves when I was outside working.  Guess my life is kinda like Caddyshack, too!  ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:53:33 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
The funny thing is the groundhogs don't seem to bother the tomatoes where the oregano is planted.

Norma

Offline tapco1

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 07:45:56 AM »
Bayer has some very good insect and bug killers - There is a Bayer insect control product for fruits and vegetables. The Complete Insect killer product may be to strong for vegetables

There is a new chemical in Bayers products called Imidacloprid that works great on aphids also.
This is powerful stuff - make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Home Depot and Lowe's carry the Bayer products

Tapco1

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Bayer has some very good insect and bug killers - There is a Bayer insect control product for fruits and vegetables. The Complete Insect killer product may be to strong for vegetables

There is a new chemical in Bayers products called Imidacloprid that works great on aphids also.
This is powerful stuff - make sure you follow the instructions carefully.

Home Depot and Lowe's carry the Bayer products

Tapco1

Tapco1,

Thanks so much for responding to my question on how to control aphids and other insects on my tomato plants and other vegetables.  I appreciate you telling me what I could use.  I have used some kinds of insect controls on my outside plants before, but I would rather lose some plants, than use really dangerous stuff. Every few days I check all my tomato and other plants and cut any dead or diseased leaves off.  I know that probably isnít the best way to go about gardening, but I worry about mixing the products wrong and maybe contaminating my vegetables or herbs.  I don't mind using insect control on outside flowers, so you information is very helpful!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
I was outside working today, and saw something that looked weird on one of my tomato plant leaves.  Upon closely inspecting it, I found out it was a dead tomato hornworm with wasp larvae still attached.  I hadnít noticed that the tomato hornworm was eating tomato leaves. My guess is that the wasp larvae got to the tomato hornworm, before it had a chance to eat much.  One more critter I donít have to worry about eating my tomatoes.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 10:01:44 PM »
Some tomatoes picked today that nothing got to.   :)

Norma

pizzapan