Author Topic: Whole wheat dough (deep dish) recipes?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline jcg

Whole wheat dough (deep dish) recipes?
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:04:39 PM »
At some point I'd like to make a deep dish pizza with a whole wheat crust. Doesn't seem like that is a popular option as I haven't seen to many posts regarding whole wheat. I'm new to the boards and have only made 2 deep dish pizzas, one in the Malnati thread and one in the Zachary's thread.

So if you wanted to make a Malnati style crust what would you need to change to in the dough recipe to do a whole wheat version? Is a 50% AP and 50% WW a normal ratio? Does the dough calculator work with WW? I saw one post that says you need to UP the hydration percent with WW. The Malnati has a 45% hydration for the latest recipe, so how much higher would you go, 50%? Any other issues to consider?

jcg

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
Re: Whole wheat dough (deep dish) recipes?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:10:41 AM »
Hi, jcg

Browsing a few of the WW threads, I would say upping the hydration content would be worthwhile.

One attempt at a WW Chicago Style is talked about here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10053.0.html

The poster reported using about 85% hydration but no oil. (As for how it must've tasted, your guess is as good as mine!) I'm going to use BTB's Malnati w/ Semolina as a comparison recipe. Water + Oil(s) = 69% -- I know oil isn't water, but it certainly does contribute to how moist the dough is! 85% is about 23% more than BTB's 69%. That, however, was on a (rather dry-looking) 100% WW deep dish. For a 50/50 blend, you'd want to try increasing water and oil by ~13% each. Using BTB's latest recipe, that would put your WW dough at:

Flour Blend* (100%)
Water (50.85%)
ADY (.6%)
Salt (1%)
Olive Oil (6.78%)   
Corn Oil (13.56%)
Butter/Margarine (6.78%) - softened
Sugar (1.5%)
TF = 0.111

Like I said in one of your other threads, though, I am by no means a dough chemist, and Pete-zza would probably have a much better numerical analysis than I, but this might get you in the ball-park.

-Clive

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
Does the dough calculator work with WW?

jcg,

All of the dough calculating tools are agnostic as to the type(s) of flour(s) used. In the tools, "Flour" can be just one flour or a blend of flours. If, for example, you use a blend of WW flour and all-purpose flour, "Flour" = WW flour + all-purpose flour (both by weights).

Peter

Offline jcg

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
I didn't realize there was a whole forum until I saw the replies and saw the specialty-grain forum. I'll read some of those threads, but probably won't be trying a whole wheat crust for awhile. I've got to perfect the other crust I'm working on first.

jcg

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
It's not easy to focus on one crust with all the abundant deliciosity on these forums. ;)

Props to you if you can avoid catching the fever! ;D

-Clive

pizzapan