Author Topic: building a pizza truck...  (Read 2680 times)

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
building a pizza truck...
« on: June 11, 2011, 04:09:24 PM »
I just started a build on a pizza truck for San Francisco use. It's going to be compact with just a 14'x7' kitchen. Think Fedex step van pizza truck, but were raising the roof and adding vented skylights. There will be a full 6' wide single deck oven in the back. Trying to decide on a Marsal MB or a Baker's Pride. Other equipment is minimal; 3 sink, hand sink, fridge for extra dough (lunch and dinner service) and a 48" or 60" refrigerated prep table. Also hope to have a undercounter plexi covered display to see the pies outside. Any thoughts or feedback on my build out or service would be helpful.

Thanks.
Casey
 :pizza: :chef:

http://caseyspizzas.com

Offline pizzablogger

Re: building a pizza truck...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Wow Casey, congratulations!

I'm assuming you will fuel the oven with propane?  Compressed natural gas?

What is the burn rate on a deck oven? Would imagine a lot of propane is going to be needed?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:28:20 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »
I've thought often of a truck with two or three 2 Stone Pro ovens knocking out 100 second pies....
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:28:30 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline selprop

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Casey

Why not a WFO, that way you will not need tanks and wet sprinkler systems,California requirements. I am in San Diego area and I have 2 in process of being built. I have done a lot DD, at first I was going just for mobile trailer but figuring out the cost and being limited where you can go makes more sense to get a truck which will allow you to do events, catering most of all street. You might want to consider instead of going the deck route, just a thought. Let me know how your build is coming. Best to you

Mark

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:59:23 PM by selprop »

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Much success to you Casey. I'm trying to do the samething but with a WFO inside.

Offline cmhanley

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
I actually own a pizza truck. It was already built when I bought it. It was a reposession so I had no input on the equipment. I did save about $100k so its alright. But the oven is terrible. Its a doublestacked comstock castle countertop oven that runs on lp. It works fine if im not busy...so what's the point of that. I replaced all the plexi with laminated glass. The plexi became foggy and scuffed quickly. Plus the glass was cheaper and much more clear. Countertop space and shelves are obviously the most important things.

Try to get the biggest propane tank you can. Especially if you plan on using a propane generator. I have dual tanks. And run a diesel generator. My truck is a 28' freighliner so you will probably not have the space.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »
Why not a WFO, that way you will not need tanks and wet sprinkler systems,California requirements. I am in San Diego area and I have 2 in process of being built. I have done a lot DD, at first I was going just for mobile trailer but figuring out the cost and being limited where you can go makes more sense to get a truck which will allow you to do events, catering most of all street. You might want to consider instead of going the deck route, just a thought. Let me know how your build is coming. Best to you

I actually got my WFO from a guy in SF who wanted to start a mobile pizza catering business with it but could not get a permit for the WFO.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 06:41:37 PM »
Casey

Mark

In California you just need a Type 2 hood for heat exhaust, like brick and mortar, for a deck oven. No fire suppression is needed.  ;D
Permitting seems tricky for WFO inside a truck. Anyway I am looking to create a more classic gas deck product without the constant attention to the fire.

Offline caseyspizza

• caseyspizzas.com
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:45:20 PM »
I actually own a pizza truck. It was already built when I bought it. It was a reposession so I had no input on the equipment. I did save about $100k so its alright. But the oven is terrible. Its a doublestacked comstock castle countertop oven that runs on lp. It works fine if im not busy...so what's the point of that. I replaced all the plexi with laminated glass. The plexi became foggy and scuffed quickly. Plus the glass was cheaper and much more clear. Countertop space and shelves are obviously the most important things.

Try to get the biggest propane tank you can. Especially if you plan on using a propane generator. I have dual tanks. And run a diesel generator. My truck is a 28' freighliner so you will probably not have the space.

Nice, where do you operate your truck? any pics? Sounds challenging with those countertop oven models. How is business?

I am looking at installing a propane driven Marsal MB 60, it's heavy as hell though, hoping my truck can handle. And I will have a 30 gallon propane tank. The Ohnan 5500 generator is fuel powered and tapped to the truck fuel line. My truck is only a 17' Utilimaster  :o ;D. Gonna be tight.