Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 6206 times)

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2016, 11:07:59 PM »
I think, as you pursue an interest you try to use tools appropriate to your needs and budget, OK, the pizza Party oven was a tough sell, but the scales are amazingly cheap on line and take a good part of the guesswork out of the "what went wrongs" that come up. I had not envisioned measuring such small amounts of yeast, especially because we are two retirees so only make a couple of balls at a time. I loved Omid's recounting giving his practice pizzas away to people who may need some food, here it would take me a long time to find a neighbour, so fresh! Might not happen.

Thank you all for the conversations, - informative and helpful

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
Icelandr,

You might find it interesting, and maybe even surprising, that Brian Spangler, at the famous Apizza Scholls, weighs out his yeast to three decimal places. I once asked him about this. You can read our exchange at Reply 164 at:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=11994.msg126520#msg126520

Peter

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • One day . . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #127 on: Today at 08:21:59 PM »
Sub,

Your proposed solution of (0.25g ADY/1000.25g Solution) = (0.00025g ADY/g Solution).  So, 0.04g ADY would require (0.04g ADY/0.00025g ADY/g Solution) = 160.04g Solution.  So one would only add about 17g of additional water.

That would work, but Icelander will need to pay attention depending on how big a a batch of dough he is making!

I use 1g yeast/99g H20 = 0.01g yeast/g solution and still correct the final water for the amount of water in the solution.

Parallei - I have to confess to being lost by your  post, perhaps the grey hair is sinking in too deep or my inability to pass Chem 101 so many years ago has some bearing. I realize that I am now weighing such small amounts of yeast that accuracy is questionable and that this may be exacerbated by the small quantities of dough I generally make.
A solution of water and yeast in gm/litre still must be the same volume of water I require for the dough does it not? So I would still require the very small measurement of yeast . . . . . I must be thick as I cannot grasp the advantage but would dearly like to find one. In the above conversations, I have to say I cannot find a compelling reason to continue to use ADY and should switch to IDY as the sources for fresh yeast are few.

Thanks for your help . . . One day I will get it!