Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 482608 times)

Offline chefjh

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #2750 on: March 01, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
Omid
thanks for all the information I have a wfo the naploi pizza what I cook.
chefjh san diego

Offline Neopolitan

• Pizza, Pasta Birra e Basta!
« Reply #2751 on: March 02, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
Neapolitan (from Amsterdam), sorry for catching up on the thread so late (S! Omid), but you should alter the design a little.  You show the center 5 bricks to be flat to the floor.  That will make the integrity of the oven reliant upon the cladding.  You should continue the arch, no matter how small an increment.

There is a smal increment, sadly the camera on the iPad does distort the True lines of the design.
I Did try to make the top of the dome as flat as possible since this seems to be tipical in the Design of the traditional Neapolitan ovens.
It was even pointed Out by Marco Parente on this forum.

But Yes I do wonder If it would colapse!
At the moment I am not planning to build It since I have no room in my appartement nor A save chimeny.

But I Will look for advice when this situation might change for the better!

regards,

Case.

Offline totally_baked

• Time is the answer.
« Reply #2752 on: April 04, 2015, 05:42:16 PM »
John, I definitely agree.   im no tom lehmann, but the dough I most often use is a 20 hour room temp, or 1 week in the fridge fermentation using tiny amounts of yeast.   I have done a bunch of tests over the years using a 20min-2hour autolyse with the salt and yeast, or without the salt and yeast, and for these very low yeast doughs I can't tell any difference between the two. 

P.S I know someone who paid Tom to do a consult, and at least back then he wasn't recommending the use of an autolyse. 

Hey Scott. Just curious, what temperature do you like to finish your mix at (DDT?) in order to control fermentation for a week?  Also, it it safe to assume that your fridge is at or below 40F degrees?  Thanks!

Offline sub

« Reply #2753 on: May 09, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
A new video with Ciro

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #2754 on: May 13, 2015, 04:27:55 AM »
A new video with Ciro

Dear Sub, thank you for the video. In a recent interview, Ciro Salvo stated that he will soon have a second oven constructed at 50 kalÚ, and he is considering to open up a branch in London!

By the way, have you ever had "pastiera napoletana"? Is it available in Belgium? If yes, how much is it? Pastiere are quite difficult to find here in the US. And, if you manage to find one at a bakery here, it is sold between $36 to $50 for a nine-inch pie. They are not cheap in Naples either. Last week, I made a couple of pastiere. Here is a link with pictures:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=36696.msg380181#msg380181

Good day!
Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline sub

« Reply #2755 on: May 13, 2015, 02:26:00 PM »
By the way, have you ever had "pastiera napoletana"? Is it available in Belgium? If yes, how much is it? Pastiere are quite difficult to find here in the US. And, if you manage to find one at a bakery here, it is sold between $36 to $50 for a nine-inch pie. They are not cheap in Naples either.

No never, and I don't remember saw it in any bakery.

A documentary about Naples featuring Da Michele (around 22min) Ulisse: Il piacere della scoperta I mille segreti di Napoli

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #2756 on: May 15, 2015, 12:40:15 AM »
A nice tv special on the city of Parthanope!

Thank You sub!

I never heard of the Pastierre Napoletano either. The Campagnoli are full of surprises. (Same as the host of this post)
The Napolitani refer a lot to the famous Rum A Baba from Naples. Don't tell them this originates from a 17th century patisserie In Paris!

But then again the famous croissant originates from Vienna, Austria, and the "French fries" from Belgium ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 12:45:57 AM by Neopolitan »

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2757 on: May 16, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
No never, and I don't remember saw it in any bakery.

A documentary about Naples featuring Da Michele (around 22min) Ulisse: Il piacere della scoperta I mille segreti di Napoli

Dear Sub, thank you for the documentary. I enjoyed the entire program.

If you like sweet pies, you will probably enjoy pastiera. It is my favorite pie. If you decide to make one and need some help, let me know. Of course, I am an amateur when it comes to making pastiera, but I will do what I can. Good day!

Omid

Offline Pizza Napoletana

« Reply #2758 on: May 16, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
A nice tv special on the city of Parthanope!

Thank You sub!

I never heard of the Pastierre Napoletano either. The Campagnoli are full of surprises. (Same as the host of this post)
The Napolitani refer a lot to the famous Rum A Baba from Naples. Don't tell them this originates from a 17th century patisserie In Paris!

But then again the famous croissant originates from Vienna, Austria, and the "French fries" from Belgium ;D

Dear Neopolitan, Pastiera Napoletana might be of Greek origin to an extent. No one knows for sure, but Greeks have some pies that are similar to pastiera. Also, one of the essential ingredients of pastiera, i.e., "millefiori", may have been introduced into the Neapolitan cuisine by the Arabs before 1400 AD. Good day!

Omid

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #2759 on: May 16, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »
Dear Neopolitan, Pastiera Napoletana might be of Greek origin to an extent. No one knows for sure, but Greeks have some pies that are similar to pastiera. Also, one of the essential ingredients of pastiera, i.e., "millefiori", may have been introduced into the Neapolitan cuisine by the Arabs before 1400 AD. Good day!

Omid

And A good day to You Dear Omid!

Interesting, As I do enjoy the developmental history of food.
I am married to a Greek wife for more Then 12 years and we visit her Familly Each year on their beatifull Island. I have not come acros such pies Yet (There is always new things to discover in Hellas) The Karidopita is a Walnutcake that I really enjoy.

I Will ask my familly in law if they know of such pies when we visit this summer. My mother in law is into desserts and my father in law has a lot of historical knowledge.

Greetings,

Case

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2760 on: May 16, 2015, 03:23:46 PM »
I am married to a Greek wife for more Then 12 years and we visit her Familly Each year on their beatifull Island. Greetings,  Case

Case, I am curious how things are in Greece at the moment. In the U.S. we hear about a lot of economic hardship, etc.  Is it an OK time to visit Greece? I would like to visit Greece, and I'm a big fan of Greek food. Just not sure if now is the time or not. Usually I have found that things are less bad in a country than what is portrayed in the press. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #2761 on: May 16, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
Case, I am curious how things are in Greece at the moment. In the U.S. we hear about a lot of economic hardship, etc.  Is it an OK time to visit Greece? I would like to visit Greece, and I'm a big fan of Greek food. Just not sure if now is the time or not. Usually I have found that things are less bad in a country than what is portrayed in the press. 

Regards,

TinRoof

Helo TinRoof,

The crisis in Greece is hardest for the big city's like Athens. It iseems always difficult to survive in major city's
Because live in a city tends to be more expensive then in the simple village. And what if people loose their income, their jobs? Then A major city becomes a though place to survive.

The touristical places like the islands will still survive because of the tourist. So if You enjoy Greece, please go!

The Greek people need Your support. On the other hand commercialized tourism like cruiseships and all inclusive Holliday organizations are a bad thing in that these tourist spend very little of their money on local shops, restaurants and culture because they are guided like cattle through the beautifull country and are force fed by the business deal that only the organizations benefit from.....

Luckily for the people that did not sell their land or island to rich foreigners or China and Russia, they possess still something that is worth more then money or gold! You can eat and maybe drink from Your land. I hope they won't make the same mistake that a lot of the native Americans once made....

Last summer we made a trip through the mainland of Greece and Eboia. We visited A interesting ecological community that teaches people how to live from the land with green energies and in harmony with nature.
The Greek people have a lot of experience dealing with poverty and surviving and even enjoying live!

Lots of stuf the media propagate is simply just that. Propaganda.
Our last trip was probably one of the nicest visits we did to Greece.
Especialy sailing in a Yacht around Greece is divine.

Greetings,

Case
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 04:28:35 PM by Neopolitan »

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2762 on: May 17, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
Thank you Case.  Sorry if I hijacked this great thread temporarily.  On to more discussion of Neapolitan pizza! 

Offline Neopolitan

« Reply #2763 on: May 17, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
Your welcome!

And I get carried away in my comments, Sorry About that Omid.

regards,

case

Offline sub

« Reply #2764 on: May 20, 2015, 02:24:13 AM »
Dear Sub, thank you for the documentary. I enjoyed the entire program.

You're welcome.

Here's another video with Salvatore Salvo in his pizzeria

Rai1 A conti fatti 03/04/2015

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #2765 on: June 28, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »

pizzapan