Author Topic: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!  (Read 668458 times)

Falcor and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: A PHILOSOPHY OF PIZZA NAPOLETANISMO!
« Reply #3000 on: April 27, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »
unbelievable, that at that temperature you are getting such a nice underside.!!!!

Larry,

The Saputo is incredible at high temps. The first picture below was ~975F, and the second was over 1000F.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3001 on: April 27, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
Omid,

It is great the new oven floor worked out so well for you.  My Pizzone with the Saputo floor is supposed to show up on Friday.  So, of course, the weather forecast is for rain/snow that day!

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3002 on: April 27, 2016, 01:00:23 PM »
Omid, great to see and hear you are happy with the Saputo Floor. I love mine too.
On a neapolitan pizza journey with Wood fired oven Pizza Party 70x70
My Pizza

Offline Pulcinella

« Reply #3003 on: April 27, 2016, 04:09:23 PM »
Dear friends, I finally got to test my new biscotto oven floor last night. Below is a video and pictures showing my very first bake on the new oven floor. Before launching the pizza, the temperature of the oven floor registered at 940ºF (504ºC). (At this temperature, my original oven floor would have completely burned the bottom of my pizzas within seconds.)

My oven was preheated by a propane torch for 2 hours (in order to avoid fumes) and then by wood fire for 1 hour. I used a 16-hour Caputo pizzeria dough, which had a hydration of about 68 percent. About an hour after this bake, the bottom of my pizzas baked much, much better than what is shown in the last picture, below. I conclude that, the Saputo biscotto tiles have been the best thing ever happened to my oven. Good day!

Omid

Eccellente :chef:  What’s on the pizza?

The builder of your oven is offering napoli style wood fired ovens now. Any thoughts?

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• Supporting Member
    • A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #3004 on: April 28, 2016, 06:25:24 AM »
Omid, great to see and hear you are happy with the Saputo Floor. I love mine too.

Dear friends, thanks for your comments. My new biscotto floor has significantly changed the overall performance of my oven. For the test that I conducted last Monday in reply #2997, I had made 18 dough balls, and I baked them during a course of 5 hours to see how the oven floor behaved. The oven performed beyond my expectations. By the 5th hour, the oven floor was about 990F and no pizzas got burned. So, Craig, I am not surprised that you baked your pizzas at over 1000ᴼF without burning the bottoms. The Saputo biscotto tiles have impressive thermal properties. Good day!

Omid
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3005 on: April 28, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »
Omid,

It is great the new oven floor worked out so well for you.  My Pizzone with the Saputo floor is supposed to show up on Friday.  So, of course, the weather forecast is for rain/snow that day!

I am so excited for you! I look forward to seeing what wonders you will do with your new wood-fired oven. Have a great day!

Omid

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3006 on: April 28, 2016, 06:25:52 AM »
Eccellente :chef:  What’s on the pizza?

The builder of your oven is offering napoli style wood fired ovens now. Any thoughts?

Thank you! The pizza was garnished with kashk bademjan and buffalo mozzarella. Kashk bademjan (meaning, "sour creamy milk & eggplant") is a traditional Iranian eggplant spread/dip that has ancient origins. It is made of fire-roasted, oriental eggplants crushed and mixed with:

1. Walnut paste,
2. Kashk, which is sheep milk that has been fermented, dehydrated, powdered, and rehydrated into a paste (see the first picture below and this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashk),
3. Crushed fresh/roasted garlic,
4. Fresh lemon juice (optional),
5. Turmeric (optional),
6. Salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika,

At last, the mixture is topped with:

1. Dried crushed mint leaves fried in extra virgin olive oil, and
2. Caramelized onions

The second picture, below, shows a kashk bademjan I prepared recently. I neglected to top it with caramelized onions. The last picture, which I downloaded from the internet, shows a kashk bademjan prepared and beautifully topped with kashk, caramelized onions, fried mint, and parsley. I should point out that kashk bademjan can be prepared in many different ways.

I love kashk bademjan, but, in my opinion as an Iranian-American, kashk bademjan on pizza tastes too ethnically Persian; I would not even call it a pizza. However, my wife, who was born and raised in Kentucky and has no Persian background, completely disagrees with me. She thinks it is an excellent topping for Neapolitan pizza.

Thank you for brining to my attention the Neapolitan-style oven built by Giuseppe Crisa of Forno Classico. I am not familiar with this particular model. Upon doing a brief online research, it seems that the oven has a smaller door and flatter dome than my oven. I wished this model was available when Giuseppe built my oven. Good day!

Omid
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:27:55 AM by Pizza Napoletana »

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3007 on: April 28, 2016, 11:24:14 AM »
Omid,
  I'm very happy for you to have successfully made it through the process of getting your Saputos cut/installed and now tested!!  I was constantly checking your thread for a while to see the first results!!

I'm always amazed when I see a picture of high hydration doughballs like yours that have grown together, yet you produce such a beautifully shaped pizza with lots of lift.  If you ever happen to have your video camera out again while baking, I'd love to see your dough technique in action!!   ;) 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3008 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
I'm always amazed when I see a picture of high hydration doughballs like yours that have grown together, yet you produce such a beautifully shaped pizza with lots of lift. 

I think the very same thing every time I see Omid's pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline fagilia

« Reply #3009 on: May 04, 2016, 01:55:27 PM »
Nice one Omid.
I just came back from Napoli and i brought the biscotti with me.
Iam going to take all firebricks on the floor out, grind them down to 4cm, put them back and the place a 3cm layer of saputo biscotti on top of that. Hopefully i will have good results too .....
I showed the guys at Saputo your work and they were impressed. They thought we were all a bit crazy on pizzamaking :)

Offline CJ

« Reply #3010 on: May 04, 2016, 02:38:54 PM »
Dear friends, thanks for your comments. My new biscotto floor has significantly changed the overall performance of my oven. For the test that I conducted last Monday in reply #2997, I had made 18 dough balls, and I baked them during a course of 5 hours to see how the oven floor behaved. The oven performed beyond my expectations. By the 5th hour, the oven floor was about 990F and no pizzas got burned. So, Craig, I am not surprised that you baked your pizzas at over 1000ᴼF without burning the bottoms. The Saputo biscotto tiles have impressive thermal properties. Good day!

Omid

Omid
Who did you get the tiles from ? I am in northern California and would like to try them over my existing floor. My wood oven is of modular design.
Thank you
CJ

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3011 on: May 04, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
Omid
Who did you get the tiles from ? I am in northern California and would like to try them over my existing floor. My wood oven is of modular design.
Thank you
CJ

The Saputo tiles came from Pizza Party.

Online Soulboy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3012 on: May 04, 2016, 04:42:38 PM »
Actually I think they came "through" Pizzaparty.

You can find Fornace Saputo directly here:

https://m.facebook.com/Fornace-Saputo-618184551553967/

Effeuno p134h + raised biscotto + insulated door
Pizza Party 70x70 (stock)

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3013 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:57 PM »
Monsieur Sub, have you ever been to the sourdough heritage library of Puratos in Belgium?

I invite everyone to take a look at these amazing videos made available by the Puratos sourdough library.

Here is a virtual tour of the sourdough library (make sure to view the available videos for each sourdough). This is a gold mine for any sourdough lover. Good day!

http://www.poppr.be/virtualtour/puratos/?nc=true#p=scene_p1

Here's a new video by the Puratos sourdough library. Good day!