Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 187890 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2011, 01:02:33 PM »
Here's an upskirt.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
Last night's bake. . . .

Nice . . . I wished I was there!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »
Fantastic as always.  The bottom has probably the perfect charring, at least in my eyes.

JJ

Offline flyboy4ual

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Great looking pies!  ;D What was the hearth temperature.  I am still trying to find the sweet spot.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2011, 05:25:36 PM »
Very nice as usual Craig.  What did you pair with the fig pie, and did you like it?

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2011, 08:02:11 PM »
Great looking pies!  ;D What was the hearth temperature.  I am still trying to find the sweet spot.

Thank you. It was 840-850F. I let it drop a little towards the end - probalby to 820F or so. Too low. I seem to get my best results at 850F or even a touch higher.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2011, 08:11:13 PM »
Very nice as usual Craig.  What did you pair with the fig pie, and did you like it?

Chau

Thanks Chau. The figs were briefly marinated in cognac. I mixed marscapone w/ Gorgonzola (50:50) and topped with that, some straight Gorgonzola, and a little EVOO. Prosciutto de Parma went on after the heat.

Honestly, no, it was not my favorite flavor combination. Probably won't make it again. Too many others I like a lot more. The other one with Prosciutto was made after the Amore from Pizzicletta (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/08/dear-slice-arizona-pizza-pilgrimage.html#continued), and it was out of this frekin' world.  

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
Fantastic as always.  The bottom has probably the perfect charring, at least in my eyes.

JJ

Thanks, JJ! To me, hitting the char like that is key to the balance of the pie.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:01 PM »
Nice . . . I wished I was there!

I wish you were too. I'd love to know what you think of the flavor.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
Craig,

All your pies look fabulous!   ;D  I only wish I could taste them.

Great job!

Norma

Thanks Norma. You're always welcome!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Beautiful as always, Craig! 

I don't know what you didn't like about the fig pizza, but I find that gorgonzola gets very strong when heated and can be overpowering even diluted, especially with figs which are so delicate/mild-flavored.  I wonder if you paired them with a rich home-made ricotta instead?  Despite your opinion on the taste, it's such a pretty pizza!  Be nice if the flavor matched the appearance  :D   

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »

I don't know what you didn't like about the fig pizza, but I find that gorgonzola gets very strong when heated and can be overpowering even diluted, especially with figs which are so delicate/mild-flavored.  I wonder if you paired them with a rich home-made ricotta instead?  Despite your opinion on the taste, it's such a pretty pizza!  Be nice if the flavor matched the appearance  :D   

Thanks Robyn, please don't get me wrong. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't my thing. After cutting the Gorgonzola with marscapone, it was not overpowering, though I would leave off the extra Gorgonzola (which I added because it thought the diluted cheese was too mild). If I try it again, I'll use fig jam rather than fresh figs (or both). I think I would like it more if it was a little sweeter.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:48 PM »
My stomach growled seeing them pics.
 :pizza:
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2011, 10:45:01 PM »

I don't know what you didn't like about the fig pizza, but I find that gorgonzola gets very strong when heated and can be overpowering even diluted, especially with figs which are so delicate/mild-flavored.  I wonder if you paired them with a rich home-made ricotta instead?  Despite your opinion on the taste, it's such a pretty pizza!  Be nice if the flavor matched the appearance  :D  

Craig, if you still have some gorgonzola and figs left over on your next bake, you might try the following.  I top with regular fresh mozz first, figs, then a real light sprinkling of gorgonzola and/or pecorino, and a drizzle of honey.  The gorgonzola does tend to overpower the figs, so I use just a very small amount.

Offline teglia

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Craig I know i told you what your doing with pizza is inspiring and i will say it again... Your wood fired oven makes me jealous and i am jealous of your family members who get to eat it on a regular basis. Maybe i will have to build myself one or just splurge and downgrade my car and upgrade my pizza! Good thing is i have access to free good quality wood (father is an arborist). Decisions decisions.

parallei

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
Craig,

To me, the char on the bottom of that pie is perfect.  Something I can't seem to accomplish on my 2Stone yet.  I don't like as much char as many here do.  So for me, it seems to be a constant battle between a nice high heat to get the spring I like, and not over doing it on the bottom.

Have you been using the oven for anything other than pies?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2011, 02:24:48 PM »
Craig I know i told you what your doing with pizza is inspiring and i will say it again... Your wood fired oven makes me jealous and i am jealous of your family members who get to eat it on a regular basis. Maybe i will have to build myself one or just splurge and downgrade my car and upgrade my pizza! Good thing is i have access to free good quality wood (father is an arborist). Decisions decisions.

Thank you very much! My wife would probably switch with you. She gets pizza'd out sometimes. Personally, I've never had that problem.

Craig,

To me, the char on the bottom of that pie is perfect.  Something I can't seem to accomplish on my 2Stone yet.  I don't like as much char as many here do.  So for me, it seems to be a constant battle between a nice high heat to get the spring I like, and not over doing it on the bottom.

Have you been using the oven for anything other than pies?

Thanks Paul. Actually, I baked my first loaf of bread in it on Sunday with the residual heat. I'll post some pics tonight hopefully. That's it though. I'm going to throw a steak in it one of these days.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2011, 11:29:24 AM »
Last night's bake:

100% Caputo
62% water
3% salt
2% Ischia Culture

Mixed by hand. 36 hours in bulk @ 60-64F, 12-16 more in balls at 65-77F (the first 8 or so at 65F). After some consultation with Chau last week, I think I'm getting really close to where I want to be with my dough. Thanks again for the help. All pies sub-60 second at 850-875F.

CL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:34:31 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »
A few more pictures.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
Beautiful looking pies there Craig, but I'm almost more impressed with the photography! ::)  What camera are you using?

pizzapan