Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 201010 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1600 on: June 08, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »
Looking incredible as usual.  The cherry tomatoes look great, guts and all.

Other than more rise did you notice anything else with the 2% starter?

Thanks!

No - just a bit more rise.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fagilia

« Reply #1601 on: June 09, 2014, 03:42:26 AM »
Have watched all of your pizzas by now and I just wish I could taste them. I can just see how tender and good they are. I just know it!!

Offline csafranek

« Reply #1602 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:38 AM »
Looks great Craig! So are the 6 in 1's similar to the now gone classico crushed tomatoes do you know?

Thank you,
Chad

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1603 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:26 AM »
Looks great Craig! So are the 6 in 1's similar to the now gone classico crushed tomatoes do you know?

Thank you,
Chad

I don't know. I've heard that.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline blacroix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1604 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
Have watched all of your pizzas by now and I just wish I could taste them. I can just see how tender and good they are. I just know it!!
They all look so tasty, I wonder if photo shop and air brushing are involved.  LOL!  The bar is pushed so high for the pizza-models - it's a hard act to break into.

I am sadly still working on getting my wife to buy into the idea.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1605 on: June 09, 2014, 09:59:52 AM »
They all look so tasty, I wonder if photo shop and air brushing are involved.  LOL! 

Nothing more than a click of the auto-contrast button if needed - usually because I don't use a flash until I absolutely have to. I really should always use the flash.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1606 on: June 09, 2014, 06:25:59 PM »
"61%, 2.8%, 2%, 24+24 @ 64F"  Few outside the forum would understand that notation.

These pies are still my gold standard.

Craig, I imagine it must be getting hot in the garage this time of the year.  How many hours is the window of usability before the dough balls get overblown?

When I cooked in a SF oven a few weeks ago, I noticed the blistering started appearing on the side of the pie at the same time as the side of the pie that is facing the fire. Does the Acunto also do this to your pies?   I hope you post a video some time.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1607 on: June 09, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
"61%, 2.8%, 2%, 24+24 @ 64F"  Few outside the forum would understand that notation.

These pies are still my gold standard.

Craig, I imagine it must be getting hot in the garage this time of the year.  How many hours is the window of usability before the dough balls get overblown?

When I cooked in a SF oven a few weeks ago, I noticed the blistering started appearing on the side of the pie at the same time as the side of the pie that is facing the fire. Does the Acunto also do this to your pies?   I hope you post a video some time.

Ha, I think I'll shorten it to 61,2.8,2,24+24/64. You all don't need the %'s and F.  ;D

My dough lasts for a really long time - at least 8 hours even in the summer - I keep it in a cooler with an ice block. I don't know the temp, but I'd guess it's in the 60's.

What you noticed in the SF is why I always comment on having sufficient heat in the wall farthest from the fire. I like 950F+. These pies were leoparding basically 365 degrees simultaneously - a bit more on the side towards the fire, and they were all but done in 45 seconds.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1608 on: June 09, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »
Ha, I think I'll shorten it to 61,2.8,2,24+24/64. You all don't need the %'s and F.  ;D

My dough lasts for a really long time - at least 8 hours even in the summer - I keep it in a cooler with an ice block. I don't know the temp, but I'd guess it's in the 60's.

What you noticed in the SF is why I always comment on having sufficient heat in the wall farthest from the fire. I like 950F+. These pies were leoparding basically 365 degrees simultaneously - a bit more on the side towards the fire, and they were all but done in 45 seconds.

You know that Anthony Mangieri switched back to a Acunto....  There you go...the things you guys have in common...ovens and dough skills.. ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1609 on: June 09, 2014, 07:24:29 PM »
You know that Anthony Mangieri switched back to a Acunto....  There you go...the things you guys have in common...ovens and dough skills.. ;D

His new oven is (and was in NYC) Gianni Acunto. Mine is Mario.

Thanks for the kind comparison though.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #1610 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:09 PM »
More:
7th pie down - what's on that one? Looks like craisins and some sort of meat, am I close?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1611 on: June 10, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »
7th pie down - what's on that one? Looks like craisins and some sort of meat, am I close?

Very close - mozz, spicy Italian sausage, craisins soaked in rum, red pepper + honey and basil post bake. One of the most popular pies with just about every guest.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #1612 on: June 11, 2014, 06:24:53 AM »
Very close - mozz, spicy Italian sausage, craisins soaked in rum, red pepper + honey and basil post bake. One of the most popular pies with just about every guest.
That sounds not only amazing but completely unexpected (to me at least) when I think of pizza. Reminds me of a place not too far from my previous job where they are constantly trying to come up with creative new pies, you should take a look at their menu for some inspiration - http://coalhousepizza.com/menu/

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:28:01 AM by chasenpse »
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1613 on: June 11, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
That sounds not only amazing but completely unexpected (to me at least) when I think of pizza. Reminds me of a place not too far from my previous job where they are constantly trying to come up with creative new pies, you should take a look at their menu for some inspiration - http://coalhousepizza.com/menu/

Cheers!

Looks like Coalhouse pizza gets a bit of inspiration from Paulie Gee's (Brooklyn).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1614 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
61%, 2.8%, 2%, 24+24 @ 64F. As the 2% culture would indicate, this dough was a bit more risen than my usual formula. I think I may prefer this. Bake times were 45-50 seconds.

The tomato on these pies is 6-in-one with a small pinch of salt. Not bad, but not enough acid to lighten and balance the heavy sweetness and thus not my vision of NP. The cherry tomatoes are from my garden.

Ok Craig i followed your recipe for this one . I changed a couple of your steps as i have UPN in my head.I added flour to mixer bowl. Then water with salt already mixed. I turned on mixer and then added my starter. My starter i took out this morning and took 1 cup out and fed with 1 cup flour and 1 cup water. When i got home at 5:00 i did the same. It doubled in 3 hours. Thats when i did the dough. Mixed 2 minutes rest 10 . Mixed 2 minutes rest 10. mixed 2 minutes and poured on marble. Needed for 2 minutes  and let rest for 30 minutes. Strech and fold and a couple needs and then in to the cooler. The dough felt really good.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1615 on: June 14, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
Wow Craig, This is by far the best dough i have made yet...  Will post pics of my third bake on my thread. Really was amazed...

Thx C.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:38:12 PM by vandev »

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #1616 on: June 17, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Craig (and everyone else) for posting such detailed instructions here.  I discovered this forum about a week ago, and in that span of time I've gone from an utter newb with zero experience (leoparding?  hydration?  doming?  WTF?) to the owner of a modded Blackstone.  This all started after a recent visit to NYC (ate at Grimaldi's) and now I'm trying to make Neapolitan pizza at home.  I had never even heard that term, prior to last week.  The internet is amazing!

Thanks again.
It's evolution, baby

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1617 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Craig (and everyone else) for posting such detailed instructions here.  I discovered this forum about a week ago, and in that span of time I've gone from an utter newb with zero experience (leoparding?  hydration?  doming?  WTF?) to the owner of a modded Blackstone.  This all started after a recent visit to NYC (ate at Grimaldi's) and now I'm trying to make Neapolitan pizza at home.  I had never even heard that term, prior to last week.  The internet is amazing!

Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new addiction! Glad the instructions helped.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1618 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:10 AM »
Congratulations on your new addiction! Glad the instructions helped.
cervicornis, imo you found the right forum and the right thread.  Great progress already.  It seems you are quick on the uptake.  Thanks to Craig and other pioneers  there is a "recipe" for making great neo (and other styles) at home.
Dave

Offline Serial Griller

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1619 on: June 21, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »
Craig,
Newbie to the forum question..
Beautiful pies.Love the oven in the garage.
I have been reading other members posts and they say"I used Craig's recipe".
I have looked for your recipe.Is it posted on here somewhere? I'm still learning to navigate the forum.
After reading your post it sounds like you have many. Caputo recipe?