Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 256604 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1650 on: July 07, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
Craig, a question re your Calabrian chili oil.  Do you refrigerate and if not, about how much do you make at a time?  I am somewhat concerned about the very, very low risk of botulism. I made a big batch of oil my first go, and don't like having to bring it back to room temp before using. 

Jason

I keep it refrigerated but bring it back to room temp each time I use it. I make about a cup or so at a time. I suppose there is some risk, but there is quite a bit of salt in the peppers and not much moisture. I'm not too worried about it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline cervicornis

• Wilderness Innovations
« Reply #1651 on: July 07, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks, I suppose I should probably do the same.  I'll just need to remember to set it out on the counter when I take my dough out of the cooler. 

Jason
It's evolution, baby

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1652 on: July 10, 2014, 10:15:17 AM »
Hi Craig,
i believe you are using a cow's milk mozz, fresh packed in water.  Have you tried buffalo mozz and compared results?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1653 on: July 10, 2014, 06:46:31 PM »
Hi Craig,
i believe you are using a cow's milk mozz, fresh packed in water.  Have you tried buffalo mozz and compared results?

Oh yes. I like everything about buffalo mozzerella better (except the price maybe). It is just a pain for me to get. There are lots of pictures of buffalo mozzerella pies of mine in this thread.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1654 on: July 10, 2014, 10:45:38 PM »
I always check the dates on the bufala and haven't found any worth what they are asking.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1655 on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
If I had a Costco closer to my house, I'd never use anything else.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #1656 on: July 10, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
Even my cheese guy, Antonelli's  can't get it fresher than 7-9 days old.  I ain't paying 16 bucks for 8 ounces of "fresh" cheese that old.

Offline sub

« Reply #1657 on: July 11, 2014, 02:27:55 AM »
that's expensive indeed !

I think I pay mine around 5.5$

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1658 on: July 11, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »
Even my cheese guy, Antonelli's  can't get it fresher than 7-9 days old.  I ain't paying 16 bucks for 8 ounces of "fresh" cheese that old.

That's almost 3x what Costco charges.

7-9 days is just fine if not better than average.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1659 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »
That's almost 3x what Costco charges.

7-9 days is just fine if not better than average.

I think it's $11.00 bucks at Cosco. Im actually going now to get some so i will post the date and price when i get home. Last time i had was frecking awesome... :drool:

It's $12.99... It's worth every penny... ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 04:53:17 PM by vandev »

Offline Sirius

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1660 on: July 11, 2014, 05:57:54 PM »
I there Bufala Mozzarella made in the USA?

I just found some Bufala on Sale here in Germany 1,50€(2$)-125g

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1661 on: July 11, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
I think I remember reading about a farm on the west coast making some. In Oregon I think.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1662 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »
Craig,

There used to be a cheese producer in California by the name of Bubulus Bubalis that made a domestic buffalo mozzarella cheese. And there was another domestic producer of buffalo mozzarella cheese by the name of Star Hill Dairy in Vermont. They survived for a while but eventually left that market. Paula Lambert, of the well known Mozzarella Cheese Company in Dallas, also gave buffalo mozzarella cheese a try but as reported in Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=445.msg4281;topicseen#msg4281 , she dropped out of that market also. I am not aware of any domestic producers of buffalo mozzarella in the U.S. today. If there were, I think our members would have found them.

Peter

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1663 on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
Craig,

There used to be a cheese producer in California by the name of Bubulus Bubalis that made a domestic buffalo mozzarella cheese. And there was another domestic producer of buffalo mozzarella cheese by the name of Star Hill Dairy in Vermont. They survived for a while but eventually left that market. Paula Lambert, of the well known Mozzarella Cheese Company in Dallas, also gave buffalo mozzarella cheese a try but as reported in Reply 7 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=445.msg4281;topicseen#msg4281 , she dropped out of that market also. I am not aware of any domestic producers of buffalo mozzarella in the U.S. today. If there were, I think our members would have found it.

Peter

There is a guy in california still trying to do it. He has the buffalo from Italy the people from Italy ..but just can't duplicate the taste yet. Anthony from UPN tried it and liked it but it is just not there yet. They can't figure it out yet.  There another that is imported to US from Colombia and i am going to try next week. The awesome thing about this one is that they are free range roaming and only grass fed buffalo..  Im mainly Paleo myself and i cannot tell you the difference in grass fed beef and grain fed beef... Its night and day so i am looking forward to try in next weeks bake. 

http://www.annabellacheese.com

Thx C.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1664 on: July 11, 2014, 08:39:08 PM »
There is a guy in california still trying to do it. He has the buffalo from Italy the people from Italy ..but just can't duplicate the taste yet.
C,

You are right. I forgot about that guy in California. He was written up a couple of years ago in the New York Times, at http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/buffalo-mozzarella-craig-ramini.html?pagewanted=all .

Peter

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1665 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »
I think it's $11.00 bucks at Cosco. Im actually going now to get some so i will post the date and price when i get home. Last time i had was frecking awesome... :drool:

It's $12.99... It's worth every penny... ;D
I picked up 2 tubs today for my weekend pizza!  Should i drop these on top of paper towels to drain? and get to room temp?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1666 on: July 23, 2014, 09:30:20 PM »
I picked up 2 tubs today for my weekend pizza!  Should i drop these on top of paper towels to drain? and get to room temp?

I'd cut them in half and drain on paper towels for a couple hours or more if needed. You don't want them sloppy wet, but you don't want them bone dry and shriveled up either. Drain in the fridge. You don't want them to be room temp.

Offline pacdunes

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1667 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
I'd cut them in half and drain on paper towels for a couple hours or more if needed. You don't want them sloppy wet, but you don't want them bone dry and shriveled up either. Drain in the fridge. You don't want them to be room temp.
thanks Master!

Offline skipreid45

• It's always Pizza Night
« Reply #1668 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:00 PM »
This may be the greatest thread on the entire internet. I'm learning so much, and it's free!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1669 on: August 05, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
This may be the greatest thread on the entire internet. I'm learning so much, and it's free!

Thank you. Detail on my formula and workflow are here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=20479.0. One minor difference is that I've been around 1.9% culture lately.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1670 on: August 05, 2014, 06:27:28 PM »

I think he takes Paypal..... ;D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1671 on: August 05, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
I think he takes Paypal..... ;D

Only if you need help in person.  ;D

Offline trixaddict

« Reply #1672 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:16 AM »
Wow! What an inspiration. I am only up to page 55 of the thread but I had to stop, register, post, just so I can pass along my compliments and thanks. Just read the Slice article, a wonderful write up. I can see that was a couple of years ago but I must mention the Margherita Mosaic is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen.
Slice of life
Tim

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1673 on: August 12, 2014, 06:27:59 AM »
Wow! What an inspiration. I am only up to page 55 of the thread but I had to stop, register, post, just so I can pass along my compliments and thanks. Just read the Slice article, a wonderful write up. I can see that was a couple of years ago but I must mention the Margherita Mosaic is one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen.

Thank you for the kind words.

Offline vandev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1674 on: August 12, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
I like your new Avatar....   ;D