Author Topic: Craig's Neapolitan Garage  (Read 200988 times)

Myπ and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #640 on: April 16, 2012, 12:11:38 AM »
Craig, it looks like you worked up a good sweat there.  All the pies look great as usual.   I was at an import foods market today and saw black and white truffle oil and it reminded me of you.  I was tempted to pick up a small bottle at $15.  I forget the brand name.  I read the label and it said that they start with sunflower oil and infuse it with truffle oil using old world techniques or something like that.   The black truffles are from France and the white from Italy.  Thought I would check with you before jumping in.   I suppose there is no such thing as pure truffle oil right? and if so, I'm sure it would cost a lot more than $15 a small bottle.   :-D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 12:31:34 AM by Jackie Tran »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »
Probably. I like black truffle on eggs and porkchops. For my mushroom pie, I like the white. I use the La Tourangelle brand. I think it's about $15. I really like it.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #642 on: April 16, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
Craig, beautiful work on your work table.  I think you inspired me to follow your footsteps for my work table.  Excellent pies as usual!

Chau, truffle oil is 100% devoid of actual truffles.  It is a synthetic product using olive oil or other types of oil infused with a compound that is meant to resemble the flavor of truffles.  Think of it as similar to perfume-making or artificial flavoring.  I still don't even know why it costs so much money.  It has its specific uses though where it shines through quite well (i.e. Craig's mushroom pie, truffle fries, etc.) and where real truffles is just not practical.  

Marlon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2012, 12:35:05 AM »
Craig, beautiful work on your work table.  I think you inspired me to follow your footsteps for my work table.  Excellent pies as usual!

Chau, truffle oil is 100% devoid of actual truffles.  It is a synthetic product using olive oil or other types of oil infused with a compound that is meant to resemble the flavor of truffles.  Think of it as similar to perfume-making or artificial flavoring.  I still don't even know why it costs so much money.  It has its specific uses though where it shines through quite well (i.e. Craig's mushroom pie, truffle fries, etc.) and where real truffles is just not practical.  

Marlon

Good to know.  I could smell the strong earthiness of the white truffle oil right through the white plastic top!  It smells like it would go great on a mushroom pie or in some eggs.  

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:05:03 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JimmyG

« Reply #644 on: April 16, 2012, 12:38:44 AM »
Craig,
Your pies are beautiful as always, but today I am drooling over your work station. That is one slick build. I am pretty envious. Additionally, I have to say that the addition of the casters at the bottom are a smart move too. I wish I could optimally position my counter to accommodate my own work flow.   Truly, nice work.
Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #645 on: April 16, 2012, 12:44:53 AM »
Those look amazing! What do you neighbors think about all of this? Do they "accidently" just show up when you happen to be making pies?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that you travel so frequently and have many weekends to devote to a practically full blown restaurant in your garage haha?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
Those look amazing! What do you neighbors think about all of this? Do they "accidently" just show up when you happen to be making pies?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what do you do for work that you travel so frequently and have many weekends to devote to a practically full blown restaurant in your garage haha?

Thanks, Jeff.

Currently, I'm doing geophysics - helping oil companies find oil.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #647 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:54 AM »

Doesn't happen much. I have a pretty long driveway...
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #648 on: April 16, 2012, 01:02:23 AM »

Marlon

I dont' thave it in my hand, but i think the one I use says it's a natural extract.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #649 on: April 16, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
Craig,
Your pies are beautiful as always, but today I am drooling over your work station. That is one slick build. I am pretty envious. Additionally, I have to say that the addition of the casters at the bottom are a smart move too. I wish I could optimally position my counter to accommodate my own work flow.   Truly, nice work.

Thanks, Jimmy. It was a labor of love for sure. My back hurts as I sit here.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #650 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:35 AM »

Marlon

Thanks Marlon. Let me know if you want to know all the things that went wrong in my design along the way. First and foremost, think about what could get in the way of your table legs...

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #651 on: April 16, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
Wow, Craig! That prep station is just beautiful! And the pizzas are equally gorgeous, as usual! Well done!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #652 on: April 16, 2012, 09:01:01 AM »
Chau, truffle oil is 100% devoid of actual truffles.  It is a synthetic product using olive oil or other types of oil infused with a compound that is meant to resemble the flavor of truffles.
I dont' thave it in my hand, but i think the one I use says it's a natural extract.
This seems to confirm what Marlon said: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html?_r=1  I would assume that given the ridiculous cost of truffles, if the oil were made from real truffles, it would cost a lot more than $15 a bottle.

Anyway, a while ago I picked up a bottle of white truffle oil just to try it out. I hear that it's pretty powerful stuff. How much of it do you usually put on a pie? Do you always put it on post-bake?
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2012, 09:12:32 AM »
This seems to confirm what Marlon said: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dining/16truf.html?_r=1  I would assume that given the ridiculous cost of truffles, if the oil were made from real truffles, it would cost a lot more than $15 a bottle.

Anyway, a while ago I picked up a bottle of white truffle oil just to try it out. I hear that it's pretty powerful stuff. How much of it do you usually put on a pie? Do you always put it on post-bake?

I've never measured. I just put my thumb over the end and drizzle it around. I'g guess a tablespoon +/-. I always put it on post pake so the heat doesn't evaporate off the flavor.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #654 on: April 16, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
Greg,

Great job on the prep station and beautiful pies!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #655 on: April 16, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
the Prep Table Looks Great!! what kind of wood is that??
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #656 on: April 16, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
Thanks Andre,

The prep surface is oak, the legs are cedar, and the rest is pine.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #657 on: April 16, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
Oak is really nice!! what kind of product did you use to finish and waterproof the oak? how does the dough slide?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #658 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:17 AM »
I've never measured. I just put my thumb over the end and drizzle it around. I'g guess a tablespoon +/-. I always put it on post pake so the heat doesn't evaporate off the flavor.
Thanks. I just didn't want to ruin a pie by dousing it with too much.

BTW, the prep table looks awesome. I am jealous. You have one heck of a garage!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #659 on: April 16, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
Oak is really nice!! what kind of product did you use to finish and waterproof the oak? how does the dough slide?

I used food grade mineral oil. The dough slides very nice.

CL
Pizza is not bread.